Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 8:11pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dive bombers = Hindu pushups? But with the reverse motion?

Also Kimura made his class do 600. The 300 number I believe came from the short autobiography "My Judo" by Kimura - google "kimura my judo". Where he says he di 300 daily.

I knew I would bring out the Kimura nut-riders. I should remember that to speak his name summons them ... :toothy5:

Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is pretty easy to do a lot of pushups in a day if you can fit it into your daily routine. My office is kind of secluded, so every time I leave to go somewhere (restroom, lunch, refill water, meeting, etc) I'll drop and do push ups before I go. Started with 20, upped it to 25, now I do 30.

The pyramids remind me of something I used to do called 'burn-outs' where you do 20 pushups, 20 sit ups, 18 push ups, 18 sit ups, 16, 14, 12 etc all the way down to 2 without a break. If that's too easy for you, you can start at a higher number, or go down by 1 instead of 2 for each rep.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 8:57pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by heyguy
    100 burpee challenge: 9 minutes out of shape
    pyramiding burpees and 100 burpee challenge? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS!!

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 9:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihonto
    I knew I would bring out the Kimura nut-riders. I should remember that to speak his name summons them ... :toothy5:
    Actually, I only do BJJ. My sole Judo experience comes from a former Karate instructor who would show up and instruct us in basic judo throws. That was over 10 years ago.

So no, I'm not a Kimura nut-rider. I simply believe in giving a healthy amount of ball licking to any and all badasses within their respective disciplines...assuming said disciplines are capable of producing badasses in the first place.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:25pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lately i've gotten into exercises that fall into two categories:

1. bodyweight: they can be done with no equipment
    2. you can do them in your tiny apartment, prison cell, whatever.

burpees and pushups are great examples of both. i read online that 20 descending sets of burpees is called "the prison workout" because it's supposedly done by inmates, can be done in a cell, with handcuffs on, whatever.

anyway, my meager contribution to the thread: someone mentioned pull-ups! i love pull-ups. if you don't have a pull-up bar, try this:

1. open a door
    2. jam something in the door frame, so it doesn't close on your hands
    3. throw a towel over the top of the opened door, to make it easier to grip
    4. grab onto the top of the door and do all the pull-ups you want!

oh, and while we're talking bodyweight, don't forget one-legged squats... :)

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:55pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One also has to remember that he did a lot of other **** on top of the 300 push ups (which I suspect were done in one single set.)

300 push ups a day by themselves should not be a challenge by a person in decent shape (300 in one single set, thought, that's a challenge.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 12:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    One also has to remember that he did a lot of other **** on top of the 300 push ups (which I suspect were done in one single set.)

300 push ups a day by themselves should not be a challenge by a person in decent shape (300 in one single set, thought, that's a challenge.)
    macho, you have the fitness-fu, so i have a question.

is it true that you can get huge and/or strong doing nothing but isometrics and bodyweight stuff, like the "atlas method" advertised back in the day (from what i gather)?

it doesn't make sense to get progressively stronger using bodyweight stuff, unless you're getting progressively heavier...

but what i wonder about are "opposition" exercises, like fighting your biceps and triceps against each other using a band or belt. can you make progress that way in either mass or strength?

(also i remember you asked for pictures of my belt-and-bag training device, and i apologize for never getting back to you... i dropped off the internet for a while)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 1:26am

Style: various cma's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by leere_form
    lately i've gotten into exercises that fall into two categories:

1. bodyweight: they can be done with no equipment
    2. you can do them in your tiny apartment, prison cell, whatever.

burpees and pushups are great examples of both. i read online that 20 descending sets of burpees is called "the prison workout" because it's supposedly done by inmates, can be done in a cell, with handcuffs on, whatever.
    Brings back memories of doing some bodyweight exercises in a holding cell when I was 15 lol. (next to a cell that houdini escaped out of actually)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 1:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by heyguy
    Brings back memories of doing some bodyweight exercises in a holding cell when I was 15 lol. (next to a cell that houdini escaped out of actually)
    i imagine my situation is similar, only instead of not being able to go outside, i just don't want to because it's cold.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could consider the trainforstrength.com workouts.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast