Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    Thanks for the input. Actually Emevas, I have that little thread in my Firefox favs, has been there for at least 6 months- where I got the idea of the whole bench, squat, deadlift thing from. When I went to a local physical trainer and bodybuilder (I won't bother stating the awards he's won, because it isn't important and I don't like name-dropping) he suggested I do bench, squat and stiff legged deadlift, because of my lower back problems that could do with sorting, with hammer curls (they're the ones which activate the forearms too, yeah?) and a couple of ab exercises like crunches and supermans. I meant to do some form of deadlift or row to go with what I'd done today, but I had an attack of the vagina and seemed to gas.

Obviously, I'm not qualified to figure this **** out on my own, which is why I've asked, basically, but out of curiousity- should I throw in some form of deadlift or row into my 'order' rather than the curls? I realise the curls are just fluff exercises, but now that I can tell how far into a routine I'm going to get (about 3 exercises or so) I really need to prioritise until I get strong enough and fit enough to do more. Should I have back work in every time I go the gym? (I'm guessing about 3/4 times, since I need one rest day I think). Is doing rows, stiff legged deadlifts and chins overworking my back? As you've said, I've done a lot of pushing movements and not really enough pulling, and that's the sort of thing I'd like to work out.

My goals are pretty much just to get bigger and stronger. I'm doing the whey protein thing as well, by putting two scoops into my milk shaker and chowing down on some foodstuffs that the guy recommended.
    Why not just follow the routine as it is layed out? It will prevent a lot of confusion. What exactly is your back issue? SLDLs would tend to put more stress on the back rather than less.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 2:35pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try standard deadlifts with good form and low weight before replacing with something else.

Chances are, your back issues are related to poor posture and a weak core. Unless you have a lot of belly fat, in which case the problem is the fat, poor posture and weak core.

Deadlifts - performed with ample warm up and proper form will do more to correct the above issues than pretty much any other excercise you can do but maybe squats. You'll have to focus on posture, you'll work your core and if fat, lose weight.

Work on your form with an empty bar. Teh El Macho posted a video about the deadlift that is great in a recent thread. Check the threads on the front page for it, and use that. Also, the workout posted is from Starting Strength. Having recently read it, no one should be allowed in weight room without having read it.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 5:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a caveat, if you practice with an empty bar, set it in the power rack at the right level so that you at least get used to pulling from the right height. It's the one issue with deadlifts: unless you have olympic training plates, the lighter the weight, the further you have to pull.
    "Emevas,

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hypers were of great benefit in helping with my low back strength.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    As a caveat, if you practice with an empty bar, set it in the power rack at the right level so that you at least get used to pulling from the right height. It's the one issue with deadlifts: unless you have olympic training plates, the lighter the weight, the further you have to pull.
    So it's not cheating if I do that? Because 135lbs is honestly too much for me, especially now that I've gained a lot of weight (might be the meds...).

And it's not even that the lower weight is super heavy for me, it's that I have to go so damn low to pick up the bar.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops
    So it's not cheating if I do that? Because 135lbs is honestly too much for me, especially now that I've gained a lot of weight (might be the meds...).

And it's not even that the lower weight is super heavy for me, it's that I have to go so damn low to pick up the bar.
    Cheating what? Are you in a competition? If not, in a decent gym, you'd have olympic training plates that are the same size as 45s. If you don't have access to them, you gotta do what you can. Practicing form on longer deadlift won't do anything for you when you increase the weight, because you'll have a whole new form to practice.
    "Emevas,

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 8:21am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by heyguy
    Is that guy's form any good? It seems to me that he has little control on the descent of the weights and just lets them fall, and he's using momentum on the hammer curls.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Why not just follow the routine as it is layed out? It will prevent a lot of confusion. What exactly is your back issue? SLDLs would tend to put more stress on the back rather than less.
    Lordosis and scoliosis. I think I was supposed to work that area more exclusively to help strengthen the spine.

Alright, I think I get the point. Next time I'll do the Rippetoe to the letter if I can find a PT to teach me deadlifts at the gym tommorow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 10:23am

Style: various cma's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    Is that guy's form any good? It seems to me that he has little control on the descent of the weights and just lets them fall, and he's using momentum on the hammer curls.

Lordosis and scoliosis. I think I was supposed to work that area more exclusively to help strengthen the spine.

Alright, I think I get the point. Next time I'll do the Rippetoe to the letter if I can find a PT to teach me deadlifts at the gym tommorow.
    sorry that was meant as a joke, read the title.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast