Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/03/2009 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was lucky enough to find a good club right off the bat.

FMA has been to me everything a martial art is supposed to be and then some. It's what really started me on my journey so to speak.

So for me at least, the "worth" of FMA is priceless. It changed my life for the better. Can't really put a price on that. And yeah, I learned some tings that have helped me out of tight spots.

I can't speak for kicks and sticks, but there is definite "martial" value within FMA, and I am more than confident in the skills it's given me. So if your guys are decent, you will be able to learn a lot from them.

I say go for it! The dues on the website you linked are more than reasonable. If I was in the area, I would definitely give them a the meager sum and a month of my time. (I like visiting new schools and fostering bridges of friendship from one art to another. It's a big sprawled out community.)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/03/2009 9:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MA-80 Arnis & USA Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I was lucky enough to find a good club right off the bat.

FMA has been to me everything a martial art is supposed to be and then some. It's what really started me on my journey so to speak.

So for me at least, the "worth" of FMA is priceless. It changed my life for the better. Can't really put a price on that. It's a big sprawled out community.)
    I am with the edited quote except for I found a good instructor right off the bat. It continued my journey. I was a great tournament fighter but I was at the end of my game and it was 'Where do I go from here?' Then I found FMA and it opened up a whole new piece of the martial arts pie for me. I got luck with Prof. Presas because he was versed in a lot more than the stick.

Now as I get older (57 this month) I find the basic tenet of FMA - the Flow - is invaluable for my continuing my training in martial arts.

Yorus,
    Dan Anderson

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/04/2009 12:17am

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    Its no different than ranking systems in BJJ or any other art for that matter.
    Yup.

And I think they should all be abolished, actually. These are combat arts, you can kick the ass of who's ass you can kick and everything else is irrelvant.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Posted On:
    11/27/2009 9:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: F.M.A.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rank

At Kicks and Sticks, the rank is meant to be an indicator of what amount of the curriculum a student has and of what level of proficiency they can perform the technique. It allows instructors to roughly guage the level of the students present in class and that is about it.
    The school does not dangle belts in front of students as a reward, or as some sort of badge that they are somehow better than someone that wears a different color belt. It is an indicator and no more. Even individuals that have advanced rank and the accompanying title manage to maintain humility and not lord over whomever they work with or teach. The goal is and has been to instruct and aid individuals in thier pursuit of thier martial arts goals.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12