Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 6:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength training: I think I chose the wrong gym

When it comes to strength training, I've come to the conclusion that I need help with my technique. I've tried reading online and watching videos, but I think I need actual coaching and my current gym doesn't provide a good enough service.

I know my technique is bad because I'm spending a quarter of my time dealing with minor injuries. And I know its not because I'm lifting too much because I always err on the side of caution when it comes to how much I lift. (I'd rather lift too little than too much).

In my eagerness to start training, I signed up to the closest gym without bothering to consider what kind of gym it is. My eyes were opened when I asked for instruction on how to snatch and I was shown a clean and jerk. I have a membership in a bodybuilders gym! Which is fine for people who want to bodybuild, but that's not for me.

So I want to know, How did you learn how to do various strength buiding exercises? Are they're special gyms where you can learn? Will I need to hire a coach?

I want to keep strength training, but I want to do it correctly and safely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 11:02pm

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a powerlifting gym to work on your big 3 technique and a weightlifting gym if you want to work on your oly lifts. If you cant find an weightlifting gym, most crossfit trainers have done courses on how to teach olympic lifts so will be able to show you. May cost you a bit though.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:46am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hire a reputable trainer for sure, and good on you for knowing when you need to ask for help.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bodybuilding gym is not that bad if you can find someone that knows that the heck they are doing. Try to find a crossfit gym/group in your area btw.

Also, what exactly are your goals, besides the obvious strenght gains - injuries? Are you trying to learn olympic lifts? Also, what other lifts are you familiar with (squats, deadlifts)? And what type of injuries do you incur most often?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 11:06am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pssst... hey kid... over here...

<----
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 3:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've ordered a copy of starting strength and I've emailed Crossfit London to find out if they are running any courses/classes/seminars that would benefit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    A bodybuilding gym is not that bad if you can find someone that knows that the heck they are doing. Try to find a crossfit gym/group in your area btw.

Also, what exactly are your goals, besides the obvious strenght gains - injuries? Are you trying to learn olympic lifts? Also, what other lifts are you familiar with (squats, deadlifts)? And what type of injuries do you incur most often?
    My goals are explosive and functional strength.

I would like to learn olympic lifts because I believe (perhaps mistakenly) that olympic lifts use a large number of muscle groups in conjuction with one another. (I don't like exercises that train muscles in isolation).

I am familiar with squats and deadlifts. But I don't know if I'm doing them right. For example, I may be unaware that my back is rounded when I deadlift.

Most of my injuries are upper back and shoulders. Because of this I suspect that my technique may be poorest when I do various lifts that bring weight overhead and place pressure on those areas, e.g. behind the neck press.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good way to tell if you're rounding your back is to make sure you look up through out the deadlift. Another good way is to record yourself and analyze the lift.

Don't worry about functional strength, if you get strong, it will function. Olympic and power lifts will be good for your Muay Thai.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 3:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Good way to tell if you're rounding your back is to make sure you look up through out the deadlift. Another good way is to record yourself and analyze the lift.

Don't worry about functional strength, if you get strong, it will function. Olympic and power lifts will be good for your Muay Thai.
    Thanks for the advice. If I can overcome my introverted nature, I will take a video camera with me when I train like you did with your deadlift video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 3:51pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Mirrors in the gym can help as well, you just need to make sure you don't start doing poor technique just so you can look at yourself in the mirror.

My Uni gym is hopeless, I don't think half the trainers there would know what a squat was if I asked them, I was lucky enough to be friends with a guy that used to be a body builder and he helped me out quite a bit.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 3:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mirrors are ok for certain exercises, but with squats and deadlifts, you're prolly gonna wreck form trying to watch and lift at the same time unless the load is too light to really be effective.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast