Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 6:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: sippalki

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sang H. Kim's translation of the Muyedobotongji sucks!

What do you guys think of Sang H. Kim's translation of the Muyedobotongji? I believe it contains too much crap that doesn't make sense. The Muyedobotongji was originally written in classical Chinese which obviously doesn't belong to Kim's competences. The explanation for the many misinterpretations is that Kim translated just from a Korean translation in hangul only.

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 5:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sippalki

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you guys think of Sang H. Kim's translation of the Muyedobotongji? I believe it contains too much crap that doesn't make sense. The Muyedobotongji was originally written in classical Chinese which obviously doesn't belong to Kim's competences. The explanation for the many misinterpretations is that Kim translated just from a Korean translation in hangul only.
    Yes that's right. S.H. Kim only used a Korean translation of the Muyedobotongji which was done by Wee Hyurn Kim. W.H. Kim is a reknowned scholar of classical Chinese literature but has no experience with martial arts and no affinity with the subject. As the first translation of the Muyedobotongji ever done, it's reasonably good but it has rather funny interpretations of some parts especially those related to martial arts theory and techniques. S.H. Kim should have compared the original and the translation before translating it to English.
    A recommended new translation was released recently, by 박청정, 2007, "武藝圖譜通志註解", 동문선. Park, ChurngJurng. 2007. Annotation of Mooyedobotongji. Dongmoonsurn.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 5:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Si Pal Ki

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that a translation to English or to Korean?

Is it available in any online store?

Thanks,

Swallow

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 5:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why didn't they just use the original translation to hangul?

If I am not mistaken the MYDBTJ was published in 1791 in both hanja and hangul, right?
    Of course you would still need the 'Chinese version' to get the meaning of some of the words.

S. Kim often presents himself as a scholar on the subject of Korean martial arts, what is his background anyway?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 6:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    S.H. Kim has a B.A. degree in English Literature an M.S. degree in sports science and Ph.D. in media studies... according to the notes in the end of the book.
    Kimyuseok, is that a fun-name such as biggus dickus or is your real name yu seok? sorry for asking but this is bullshido you know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 2:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: HKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hwoaranggirl
    S.H. Kim has a B.A. degree in English Literature an M.S. degree in sports science and Ph.D. in media studies... according to the notes in the end of the book.
    So how does that qualify him to translate old Joseon-area texts to English?? :bduh:

Kimyuseok, is that a fun-name such as biggus dickus or is your real name yu seok? sorry for asking but this is bullshido you know.
    If I wanted a funny name I would have picked Pak Yu Sik. (put the family and given name in English order and you will see why).
    How was your bibimbab last night?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 4:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally Posted by kimyuseok
    If I am not mistaken the MYDBTJ was published in 1791 in both hanja and hangul, right?
    Of course you would still need the 'Chinese version' to get the meaning of some of the words.
    The MYDBTJ was published in 1790. The appendix in hangul was just a quick reference guide to the practising parts and doesn't give any in-depth information on the martial art itself. This appendix was pocket size to make it easy to carry in one of those big sleeves. This hangul was not the same hangul as the hangul today so even that small part of MYDBTJ needs some interpretation by an expert of classical hangul which is obviously not this doctor in media studies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2008 5:15pm

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, there appears to have been two translations of the MYTBTJ before Kim got around to his version and if memory serves one of the copies is in the LOC. There are also translations into Japanese as well as --- you guessed it--- Chinese! I wonder how that would play---- A Chinese treatise transliterated into Korean in the 16th Century and then, transliterated back in the 20th Century?

BTW: I hold with the original view--- the translation is about only good enough to give the average guy on the street some sense of what the book was about. For example, its very interesting to examine the original Ming language of General Qi's "Boxing Canon" and read its translation by Gyve or in Douglas Wiles' fine book. Now take that and bump it up against the same postures in the KWON BUP chapter of the MYTBTJ. Sheesh! What was this guy thinking?

I know its a pain in the butt, however it really makes a difference reading the work in either Hanja or Han-Gul. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce