Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 4:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Kali Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had a similar problem with gaining weight. I work out about 3-4 days a week currently not including at least 6 hours of muay thai training.

For me the most important thing is eating and eating a lot. Eat until it hurts. Whenever you're full, eat an extra sandwich or take an extra serving. 500 calories every day for a week is what you need to put on weight and if you have a fast metabolism like we do, then that's a lot of food. It's also important to eat a little protein before your workout (just a little, not enough to make you feel sick obviously) and A LOT of fast digesting protein after a workout. If you're not against it, whey is a good option since it digests very quickly and gets your muscles that all needed protein which is the essential building block of muscles.

A book I found really interesting was The Testosterone Advantage Plan which talks a lot about the idea of eating fats to boost testosterone levels and build muscles. I would research this if you plan on doing it since increased levels of testosterone have positive and negative effects (this particular book almost competely ignores some of the negative effects). Most importantly, if you do take this approach, make sure the majority of the fats you consume are polyunsaturated as these have been consistently shown to be the healthiest, possibly even linked to reduction in heart disease.

And if you're not working out, honestly I believe you could make a little time for it regardless how busy your schedule is. Even if you're tired a little workout will help you feel better about yourself and even short workouts can be very effective (http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...intervals.html)

Here's another good site if you don't have time/money for the gym: http://bodyweightculture.com/index.php

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 8:01am

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sit on your ass and eat all day. then, go to bed.

you'll put on weight in no time.

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 8:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try reading "Brawn" by Stuart McAllister (I'm not sure I'm spelling that right but you should be able to find it). He also publishes a magazine called "Hardgainer" that specifically addresses this issue. I was a skinny guy (6'3" 160). It took me years to get up to 180. Using the program in his book I went to 220 in 1 year and my waist went down 4 sizes. Of course, now that I'm over forty all I have to do is look at a picture of an Oreo and I gain two pounds but that's another story.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    give it a couple years. you'll get your freshman 15 and you sophmore 20, then the boys will start to notice your lovely lady lumps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/03/2008 3:23am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was your age when I first started using a kettlebell.. I'm 20 now and I have two 35 lb kettle bells.. I've beefed up considerably by following the advice of Pavel Tsatsouline and training a lot.

My diet is pretty much like this: wake up and drink water/coffee, not eating with any intent to fill myself until night time when I eat as much as I feel like..

if my appetite becomes noticeable during the day then water/coffee/stretching/exercise and believe it or not, Marijuana as well, when combined with all of this also assists in staving off appetite.

If you wanna know more about Pavel's methods of strength training then just PM me.

I'm 5'10" 162 lbs.. before I added Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu to my curriculum I was up to 175 AND not as buffed...

I know I just told you not to eat to add muscle.. but for some people it helps a lot to have that eating habbit for energy.. I have a lot of energy when I train and I try to train hard. You'l; get really good and stay closer to your natural weight while getting way stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldk
    sit on your ass and eat all day. then, go to bed.

you'll put on weight in no time.
    His advice is more logical than mine if you're just trying to add weight.
    Last edited by Bhauk87; 1/03/2008 3:30am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 11:03am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why worry about gaining weight? You'll do that your whole life. Worry about training and conditioning and ffs don't drop school just to gain weight, studies are a better percentage option in life than sports.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're 18, don't worry about it. you haveb't finished growing yet, just keep training and eating LOTS, and let it come on its own.

And be careful, because you might spend a year being a gym rat, spending tons of money on food and supplements, and then loose most of it when you try and go back to a normal life!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 7:58pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhauk87
    I was your age when I first started using a kettlebell.. I'm 20 now and I have two 35 lb kettle bells.. I've beefed up considerably by following the advice of Pavel Tsatsouline and training a lot.

My diet is pretty much like this: wake up and drink water/coffee, not eating with any intent to fill myself until night time when I eat as much as I feel like..

if my appetite becomes noticeable during the day then water/coffee/stretching/exercise and believe it or not, Marijuana as well, when combined with all of this also assists in staving off appetite.

If you wanna know more about Pavel's methods of strength training then just PM me.

I'm 5'10" 162 lbs.. before I added Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu to my curriculum I was up to 175 AND not as buffed...

I know I just told you not to eat to add muscle.. but for some people it helps a lot to have that eating habbit for energy.. I have a lot of energy when I train and I try to train hard. You'l; get really good and stay closer to your natural weight while getting way stronger.

His advice is more logical than mine if you're just trying to add weight.
    Please, please, please ignore this jackass. Water/Coffee/Marijuana only in the day will **** you up big time.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/10/2008 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, and I'm speaking from years of experience, not eating in the morning and instead drinking coffee and smoking weed will make you feel horribly hungry within a few hours of waking, and that will last until you eat, at which time you'll probably feel bloated and nauseaous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2008 1:34pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im afraid to lose weight kind of. Im 220 right now and what I make up for in lack of skill I make up for by just being bigger then other people my height, 5'9. When I throwdown with my friends who are all like 175 if not smaller its just way easier to have 40 pounds on someone. I cant imagine being smaller.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast