Sponsored Links Spacer Image

blotter art.

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 2:28pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cung Le vs. Frank Shamrock

So I heard the fight is set up already, but I can't find any official press release about it yet. So heres some old interview about it:

MMAFighting.com: First thingís first. . . Congratulations on the win over Sam Morgan. Did that fight go down how you expected it to?
    Cung Le: I think he came out swinging for the fences. I didnít expect those looping punches. . . He got a couple of shots in and I just shook them off and pressed the action. I took what he gave me.
    MMAFighting.com: What do you think that victory meant to your MMA career thus far?
    Cung Le: Every time I win itís always good for the career, you know. I was just happy that I was able to pull off a spectacular knockout at the end. I showed a lot in the fight. I know a lot of people expect more from my ground game, (but) I havenít been in that situation a lot. (I was just) taking my time, having fun, trying to listen to my corner, and not get over excited.
    MMAFighting.com: Definitely. Obviously after the fight there was a lot of talkóand thereís been a lot of talkóabout you and Frank Shamrock going at it in the cage in the future. In fact, after the bout Shamrock seemed to indicate that he wanted to do it. What do you think the possibility of that fight happening is, and is there anything to report on it?
    Cung Le: I believe that fight is going to happen. It could happen in March at the next Strikeforce event in San Jose. Anything could happen; I donít know. (Still) I have a strong feeling thatís whatís going to happen.
    MMAFighting.com: That would be great, especially in San Jose.
    Cung Le: I know itís just the end of the year and people are going to wind down a little bit. For me, Iím going to wind it up and keep my training goingó not burn outóbut keep my cardio going (and) get my strength up even more so I can break out of those guards and get back up on my feet if I need to. So watch out.
    MMAFighting.com: Iíve read that you have a past training history with Frank Shamrock. Tell me about that.
    Cung Le: I trained with him a lot before. I trained with him the fight before he fought Tito (Ortiz) and the fight while he fought Tito. I did a lot of sparring with him standing up. We never went down to the ground except when I threw him. Heís a tough guy. I know that going up against him in what he does is going to be a big step up in competition for me. (Still) Iím looking forward to it and like my chances.
    MMAFighting.com: Thatís awesome. You talked about ground fighting with Sam Morgan a little, and thatís really the most ground fighting youíve had in MMA thus far. If you ended up on the ground with Frank Shamrockóand I know that itís a tall order getting you thereóhow confident are you that you could get up or survive?
    Cung Le: I donít know if heís going to get me to the ground; I donít predict the future. I couldnít tell you what would happen. But Iím telling you what I would try to do (which) is pop right back up, protect my neck, and protect my limbs because I know that heís going to want to rip them off. Thatís basically what I would have to do.
    MMAFighting.com: Iíve got to ask you this question because Iíve seen this written about all over the place at forums. Obviously, right now Strikeforce, EliteXC, and other organizations are all trying to get up to the level of the UFC. And speaking of the UFC, they have a middleweight champion that you know probably pretty well by the name of Anderson Silva, who is known for his striking skills. How well do you know Anderson Silva in terms of fighting, and what are your thoughts on a stand up fight with him? I know that itís all very hypothetical.
    Cung Le: I like the way Anderson fights. Heís a very exciting fighter to watch. If there would ever be the possibility of a fight with him, I think that my stand up matches very well against him. Heís very long. Heís well balanced with his punches, kicks, and knees but so am I. I come from different angles, and Iím not one to be afraid to engage in a stand up battle with him. A lot of other fighters, they go in there and donít like to engage with him, and they make mistakes. Iíd go in there and have fun. Iíve been in plenty of stand up fights in my amateur and professional career as a San Shou fighter and K-1 fighter. I have just as much experience standing up as Anderson Silva does. It would be an awesome, awesome fight to be a part of.
    Right now (though) Iím going to take one fight at a time. I have a lot of respect for Anderson. Just because I respect him doesnít mean I fear him.
    MMAFighting.com: It sounds like you have a lot of confidence that the Frank Shamrock fight is going off and fans are going to really like hearing that. If not Frank Shamrock, though, is there anyone else that you would like to tangle with?
    Cung Le: I think the highest profile fight that I can get. . . Itís a good time. I feel very confident in my abilities with my stand up and even with my ground game to put on a good fight. A lot of fighters can probably do a better jobóIím not saying any specific fighteróbut a lot of fighters go in there and donít want to take certain risks and do certain things. Iím a risky fighter and that makes for more exciting fights. (This makes my fights) more like the kind that fans like to watch.
    MMAFighting.com: Yeah, and thatís actually one of the reasons I think they like you so much. You are so exciting on your feet and do kind of go for it in there. Beyond that, do you have anything youíd like to say to the fans?
    Cung Le: I just want to say thank you for accepting me as an MMA fighter. Iím just happy to be competing and to be performing to the best of my ability right now. I hope to put on a lot more exciting fights and great performances for all the fans out there.
    Also, after my fighting career Iíll probably do some entertainment. My training camp for Sam Morgan was broken up a little bit because I finished my filming with Terrence Howard and Channing Tatum for this movie called "Fighting." Itís going to be released on the big screen next year. They ended up calling me back because they wanted to add a little moreó a shot in the beginning and the endó to expand my role a little bit. So I just wanted you to say that if you also want to follow what Iím doing in the entertainment business you can look me up at IMDB.com under Cung Le.
    MMAFighting.com: What is "Fighting" about?
    Cung Le: Channing Tatum is a Division 1 college wrestler that ends up selling some bootleg DVDís trying to make it on the streets of New York. He gets into a street fight with a couple of guys from Terrence Howardís crew and he ends up taking him under his management to fight underground fights. Itís a pretty good story with some good actors in there. I think it will do well in the theatres.
    MMAFighting.com: Sounds good. Thanks for talking to me and I look forward to talking to you again in the future.
    Cung Le: Sounds good. Iíll talk to you soon.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: i had a few BJJ lessons

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YES!!!!! This is the fight I've been waiting to see. I hope we get to see Cung Le scissor kick Frank Shamrock! That would kick so much ass! Frank, your rabbit punching days are numbered!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 8:39pm

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    " get my strength up even more so I can break out of those guards and get back up on my feet if I need to. "

this is not what i want to hear from any striker whose trying to learn grappling defense.

i cry for cungs' limbs should he fight shamrock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 8:45pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HELLO - it will almost certainly be a work and by that I mean fake fight which CL has already been a part of in MMA.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 8:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: i had a few BJJ lessons

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, he'll make it. Whatever training Cung's lacking. He'll train hard to obtain. Frank's the biggest competition out there for Cung Le, and he's in a spot where he wants to prove himself in MMA. The only dark cloud on Cung's horizen well be Frank Shamrock kneeing him on the back of the head in a moment of desperation(think the Renzo fight) and having Cung win on a technicality. No one wants to win that way.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 8:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cough/Cool
    HELLO - it will almost certainly be a work and by that I mean fake fight which CL has already been a part of in MMA.
    ?

You aren't talking about his fight demo are you?

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 8:54pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gougeaway
    Dude, he'll make it. Whatever training Cung's lacking. He'll train hard to obtain. Frank's the biggest competition out there for Cung Le, and he's in a spot where he wants to prove himself in MMA. The only dark cloud on Cung's horizen well be Frank Shamrock kneeing him on the back of the head in a moment of desperation(think the Renzo fight) and having Cung win on a technicality. No one wants to win that way.
    You're kidding, right? Cung's fought so many cans he should own stock in Heinz. Here's to Frank opening up a can of whip ass on Cung, and his whole cult in Santa Clara. Though it's kind of like watching a fight between the Wolfman and Dracula, though sadly, they can't both fall of a cliff to their doom.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 8:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My money is on Cung.

I've heard that he claimed to be somewhat superior in his sparring matches with Shamrock.

I guess we'll know for sure in a while.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 9:07pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Domite
    ?

You aren't talking about his fight demo are you?
    No his fight with Tony F.

I can't believe we are even having this discussion, Frank so outclasses him; it's not even funny.

The only way it would even be remotely entertaining would be if the fight was a work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 9:57pm

Style: Wrestling, Judo, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by saku39
    " get my strength up even more so I can break out of those guards and get back up on my feet if I need to. "

this is not what i want to hear from any striker whose trying to learn grappling defense.

i cry for cungs' limbs should he fight shamrock.
    cung le is a pretty accomplished amatuer style wrestler so i'm sure he has a trick or two up his sleave. grappling training should come easy to him
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast