Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 8:51am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take stuff relaxed except to the body. I will also take a shot while tensing up if I am about to set up a counter and I need to not move out of position. In other words, it depends and like 90% of the questions in Strikeistan these days experience is the answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 9:39am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Blackshadow
    This is a fantastic way to get yourself knocked out imo.

If you're going to take a hit you want to take it head on, preferably on the forehead. You want to use your neck muscles to keep your head from getting knocked back or twisted around too dramatically.

That is, if you're GOING to get hit. Of course it's a good idea to stay loose while you're fighting so you don't have to fight your muscles to move, but tensing for a hit is the best way to keep yourself from getting knocked around, thus getting set up for a good shot on a vital area.
    i've always tried when boxing (and getting pummelled) to direct punches away from my chin/mouth/nose and onto my forehead.

this is just because i read jack dempsey saying that you can break your opponent's hand if you intercept it with your forehead. a lightbulb came on, especially since i was training boxing for MMA, where the gloves are much less substantial. so whenever i would cover up, i would keep this in mind.

what did not make sense to me was that when i was covered people kept landing shots on my forehead, as if i were the only one there who realized that might be a bad idea.

i assume this is because i was training with boxers who were not only training with larger gloves but were trying to rack up shots landed.. because i still don't think punching someone in the forehead is a good idea in MMA or SD. =P

also, for body shots, my MT instructor told me you should always keep your abdomen tensed to some degree, not only to lock your upper body to your hips (for more power) but also to receive shots. he opined that a well-timed teep against a relaxed abdomen would **** your **** up. thoughts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 12:40pm

Style: Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can attest to the power of the forehead. I was doing "light" sparring once with this big, strong joker who had no control. It turns out right after my coach told me to keep my chin down (advise he sadly has to give too often), this guy belts me with a full power left hook, catching me on the bone just in front of the temple.

He didn't break his hand, but it hurt it enough that he had to leave class.

Serves the bastard right.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 2:14pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gee, take the punch on the forehead. You don't say. I wonder where I've heard that one before.

My input on this question is it depends where you're getting hit. Staying completely relaxed is going to get you into trouble. There's a fine line between relaxing and tensing. Like Yukon said if I'm getting hit to the body, specifically the solarplexes I'm going to tense. If I'm going to get hit in the head I'm going to angle and tense, going with it is going to get you KO'd (as it was stated before).

Taking it on the legs, outside the body, you tense just enough to not get your ass knocked over.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :new_cussi In my own defense, as one of those "tang soo do buddies" (that is a horrible term, btw. it sounds like a martial arts themed toy for lonely children) most of my injuries come from:

A. fighting someone who has 95 pounds and 5 inches on me.
    B. grappling
    C. overexertion, because I am weak and out of shape.

When fighting you, blisterstarr, my preferred method of taking a hit is to avoid it completely. Which is becoming more and more difficult. I just try to avoid shots to my head, or solar plexus. anything else and i just try to be harder than the incoming weapon. Maybe not the best strategy when you actually look at it...

I think my biggest obstacle is the apprehension of getting KTFO. I hate the inside pocket, it is not a comfortable distance for me...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 4:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always been taught, that when you take a blow, you breathe out from the pit of your stomache, the same as when you want to get more power and tense at the very end.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 5:01pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomhall911
    I have always been taught, that when you take a blow, you breathe out from the pit of your stomache, the same as when you want to get more power and tense at the very end.
    In a way that is true. If you breath out quickly you will noticed that your muscles in a way will tense up. Just like if you watch a boxer, they keep their arms loose, until they have to hit someone.

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 7:03pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KIAI MOTHERFUCKERS!

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 10:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: southern short hand

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both can work, hard/soft are two sides of the same coin. They compliment each other.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/08/2008 10:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    talking of taking impacts, nothing can prepare you for not expecting it. 2v1 sparring at taekwondo last night, got a spinning back kick to the ribs, i suspect its either cracked or bruised will be off to the hospital to get an xray tomorrow :P
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast