Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:28pm

Style: BJJ boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well ,I left Krav right before testing for level 4 because of all the silly kicks you nedd to know. I went to the one in SF. they have a BB and some other good instructors who have time in thai boxing,etc. they do have a purple and brown teaching no gi BJJ and the have the "fight " class. Danny, is one of the instructors, opened a KM school in berkeley, inside the Ralph Gracie academy there. He is from Israel, was an instructor for the military there and a great boxer. I am a huge fan of him, he is the real deal. I decided to drop most striking until I get purple in BJJ.

so SF KM- meh, ok
    Berkeley KM - recommended

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will give you one

The Core in louisville , Ky. the instructor is a guy named Rolando Haddad. He has about 12 kcikboxinf fights, I think a fe boxing, and one mma. He is a blue belt in Bjj in addition and has trained a lot Muaythai

www.corelouisville.com

There are some great other instructors as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 10:15am

Style: Krav Maga (4), BJJ white

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mid-South Krav Maga in Memphis, TN http://www.midsouthkravmaga.com/ . The head instructor, Sam Pike, is a maniac (in a good way). Fight classes, sparring, grappling, etc.

MSKM is a good school, but I'm looking to change up for the same reason Q-Tip did--levels 1 & 2 are useful stuff, but level 3+ is about silly kicks and combos, and I've about worn out the weapon defenses.

I'm going to switch to MMA/BJJ after I get done with school (getting my MBA). I want to fight in at least one amateur match (win or lose, just so I can say I did it) before I get too old to have that much fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 10:28am

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actual school reviews with stuff such as aliveness and sparring would help. Also definitely list lineage of KM ranking such as organization and what not, as each has its own requirements.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 12:23pm

Style: GJJ, Judo, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will throw out the following school as a good school:

www.kravmagaoc.com

I have not been there since I moved out of state but my memories of the place were good. Varying degrees of contact depending on your time in the system. Once you got your "feet wet" your were "encouraged" to get shin protectors, mouth gaurds, head gear and gloves to participate in the open classes to up your contact levels. The one downside I saw to the school was the cost of classes (190 per 8 week series) but I was able to train 5 days a week two hours each time which was about 80 hours of training. Looking at their website they have moved to a new location. Most of my training was at a JDCC with hardwoodfloors. They seem to have newer, more fall friendly, locations now.

As to their affilication, they are a KMAA school. The two founders of the school Mike and Mitch were among the first Black Belts/Instructors in the US. They both recieved their certifications from Darren Levine and Eyal Yanilov in the late 80's/early 90's before opening this school in 92. Larry trainned under Mitch and Mike and also got his Black and instructors cert from Darren and Eyal in 97. Yuri got his black and instructors cert in Israel. Each of these four have distinct teaching styles and strengths which allowed me to get a lot of depth out of the system. Their newest instructor Daniel I have no experience with so I have no comments on his teaching/expertise.

I've posted this before but I was told that this is a more "old school" KM school. My second level (yellow belt) test spanned two days (1.5 hours each day) and had me sweating more than I had ever before that point. Great school, great instructors and great bunch of students from my memories (circa 2002).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brand X Martial Arts in Ramona, CA. They teach krav maga, kempo and crossfit. They are very conditioning oriented- climbing ropes and gymnast rings at the school. Very well integrated training. One drill we did was a jab cross on focus mitts followed by a double leg lift, walk a few feet, put them down, and repeat. Lots and lots of llive training (at least in the KM). The two head instructors come from Cepeda Brothers Martial Arts school in San Diego (kempo/arnis), and when they trained there, they would fight in muay thai smokers if I remember correctly. The chief instructor is a crossfit coach and American weightlifting club coach, and is in his 50s but in way better shape than me. If I lived in Ramona, I would definitely train there.
    http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/

My other KM experience was at the Jewish Community Center in San Diego (La Jolla). Focus on pad work and live training with rubber training knives. Very well run, excellent training (I just had some different reactions to knife attacks than the official KM methods since I come from FMA, and it showed). I'm not sure if it was the norm, though, because it was a seminar taught by Eyal Yanilov (he's way cool).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 6:25pm

Style: Judo-Brown

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by melk
    Actual school reviews with stuff such as aliveness and sparring would help. Also definitely list lineage of KM ranking such as organization and what not, as each has its own requirements.
    Any school in this thread is going to have a "lot" of aliveness/sparring.

Though i will go back and edit in the organization.

thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 6:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip inspector
    well ,I left Krav right before testing for level 4 because of all the silly kicks you nedd to know. I went to the one in SF. they have a BB and some other good instructors who have time in thai boxing,etc. they do have a purple and brown teaching no gi BJJ and the have the "fight " class. Danny, is one of the instructors, opened a KM school in berkeley, inside the Ralph Gracie academy there. He is from Israel, was an instructor for the military there and a great boxer. I am a huge fan of him, he is the real deal. I decided to drop most striking until I get purple in BJJ.

so SF KM- meh, ok
    Berkeley KM - recommended

Side note... i always (not just from you) hear about green belt's "silly kicks..."

They include an axe kick, cressant kick, hook kick, and a spinning back kick.

I mean the instructors should be explaining WHY they are being taught. They are not being taught as primary self protection tools (that should be obvious).

Green is considered the first level in which a student has "mastered" the basic self-defense skills of km, so there is an opportunity to teach "somewhat" complex kicks/attacks from different angles.

Green belt (for me) was the first level you HAD to Spar (a lot) to get your belt. It was understood that when sparring you would be more likely to experience those kicks than in "self-defense." But for either reason the DEFENSES for those kicks are also being taught at Green.

It's hard to practice defending a kick if no one in the class can throw it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 6:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrApollinax
    I've posted this before but I was told that this is a more "old school" KM school. My second level (yellow belt) test spanned two days (1.5 hours each day) and had me sweating more than I had ever before that point. Great school, great instructors and great bunch of students from my memories (circa 2002).
    :) My yellow belt was 4-5 hour one day lol No sparring but i remember it felt like we were sparring lol I remember giving my (then) girlfriend (who trained with me, and we were stupid enough to partner up) her first black eye back. We were training inside defenses and we were told to really go hard (or the ATTACKERS would lose points). I felt sooooo bad.... i punched her really really hard... i knocked her over. But she got her ass back up and kept on taking the test.

Blue belt was a Fri, Sat, Sun.... like 3 hours on Fri, 8 hour Sat, and 4 hour Sunday... a LOT of sparring grappling

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2008 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried the one in the San Diego JCC awhile. I would describe it as slanted towards law-enforcement/military and females (overly so for my taste)-- if you expect to mainly fight while wearing tons of equipment, or against people twice your size, then it seems like great stuff.

They say they are the only "Israeli affiliated" (or something like that) school in SD.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast