Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 8:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

staying light and grappling

is it possible to train in grappling and remain light and fast without being dominated by heavier guys. ultimately i want to stay in prime physical condition, is this possible while being thrown around on the mats and training with larger fighters? how important is lower body strength compared to upper body strength, and which is more important in grappling? i would rather put 10 pounds of muscles onto my legs than 5 pounds of fat onto my gut just to compete, is it worth putting time, money and energy into expanding my fighting skills or is staying lean and clean with toned muscle mass impossible when involving yourself in wrestling or ground fighting?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 9:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why on earth would you put on fat in order to compete? And where did you get the idea that all grapplers are fat bastards or roid-monsters?
    is it possible to train in grappling and remain light and fast without being dominated by heavier guys.
    Well, yeah. It's called skill. You should be aware that if you start training grappling you're also going to spend a lot of time getting dominated by much lighter guys.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 9:38am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only guys I know who are grappling and aren't in pretty excellent shape are the super heavyweight guys who are all working on losing weight....
    I'm up to 140lbs and in definately the best shape I've been in since I wrestled in HS and I hold my own against the 180lb+ folks. So yeah, you can grapple and be successful without bulking way up. It definitely helps to do some strength training of some kind though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i've been doing strength training, mostly upper body, and they say it's critical to have strength in your legs and calves to support the muscle mass of your upper body and to maintain balance, in my experience it seems especially important for performing takedowns from stand up.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's so bad about gaining muscle?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nothing as long as it's toned and clean, not bulky or mass. so many guys there are fat and carry an extra 40 pounds, it's tough to defend against all that extra weight with the training and technique of a highly skilled fighter.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ark44
    nothing as long as it's toned and clean, not bulky or mass. so many guys there are fat and carry an extra 40 pounds, it's tough to defend against all that extra weight with the training and technique of a highly skilled fighter.
    I don't think being fat helps a whole lot. Muscle helps more. However, having a little fat won't kill you. Stop being scared and go lift some weights. And then eat. Also, train hard.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:25am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus christ.

Look man, just put on muscle until bulk actually starts to be a problem for you.

Don't worry about it until it maybe happens WAY down the road. The average beginner at strength training is a bajillion weeks from putting on any sort of worrisome bulk, and in the unlikely event it becomes a problem for you 1-2 years into your weight program, you'll probably know what to do about it.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the biggest problem i had was not doing strength training for total body and my balance suffered because of it, im going into it now with the mindset of someone who will not stop training until every muscle being worked is completely powered out, every time i go, every set, every rep, and if my blood vessells burst out of my head i've earned a day off.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:35am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WOW HOW HARD CORE

How about instead you compact your weight routine so that you can work every region once a week, and train for balance and flexibility in your martial arts classes?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast