Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 7:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Usefulness of Chiropractors

Anyone use a chiropractor on a regular basis? Did it do anything for you?

I got caught in a nasty neck crank (actually a RNC gone wrong) by a very large over-zealous training partner. Pain in my neck is mostly gone after 2 weeks but it "snap-crackle-pops" like you wouldn't believe. Some times it pops strong and loud its actually disorienting. Thinking of going to a chiro for an "alignment". I always thought most of these guys were quacks, but I am one of those people that hates going to doctors, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 7:58pm

Style: Wing Chun; Modern Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My stepdad is a chiropractor, and I can attest that a good chiropractor can do a lot for you. That said, there can be a lot of bad practitioners out there, so be careful. Like anything, get recommendations from others, research any chiropractors you're considering, the qualifications they have, and their registration status, if applicable. Even local legislation is important to know - 'chiropractor' is a protected title where I live (UK), so you have to be professionally qualified and registered to use the title.

In short; ask around and research.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 9:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been seeing a chiropractor for the last 3 months or so.

I was thrown and landed badly, my neck jerked and my spine was rotated. It hurt like hell. I couldn't focus at work and so on. I went to the hospital, the doctor told me to take antiinflammatories and quit doing stuff where I get dropped on my back. I told him to go **** himself.

I went to a chiropractor. She grabbed by neck, and back and reversed the rotation. The relief was immediate and I was back in the gym the following day. Of course, I've been going periodically to make sure my spine stays right.

Chiropractors are teh awesome.

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 9:58pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i go to one regularly. Even when I'm injury free, i try to see the guy at least once a month.

medical docs mainly want to prescribe medicine which does nothing 'cept for masking the pain....

chiro specializes in the spine and physical injuries. I haven't gone to see a medical doctor in years!

but definitely beware, there are some quacks out there that don't know WTF they're talking about

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:05pm

Style: Very Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bad chiropractor will make you wish you had never been born

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanhalen21
    A bad chiropractor will make you wish you had never been born
    Please elaborate. Have you had any experience with bad Chiros, Tenhalen?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hah, i went to a chiropractor, that seemed nice n ****, but he ended up manipulating so many other different **** that wasnt part of my original reason why i went in, like manipulating my neck, lower back, and all the other ****, that THOSE started hurting after i went to see him. Now that i havent seen him in 3 months i feel fine, if you dont count the kink i have in my neck ever since i went to him. I am now seeing a PT who made me get an MRI AND xrays and concluded that it was wear and tear and not some dislocation, something that my chiro never did,

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 11:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    Please elaborate. Have you had any experience with bad Chiros, Tenhalen?
    Well both my sister and dad went to chiropractors and it ended up just making them have worse problems in their back. My dad eventually had to get surgery (not necessarily because of the chiropractor, but what the chiropractor was doing did not help anything) and my sister just stopped seeing her chiropractor and eventually her back problems went away.

I'm definitely not saying all chiropractors don't know what they are doing, but if you go to one who doesn't know what he/she is doing you're gonna be wasting money and possibly having worse pains. You definitely want to trust your chiropractor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 11:26pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes and no. Do your research. You want a chiropractor with a sports medicine background. I see one as needed for my knee and my back. He's adjusted me only once, with the rest of the treatment being Ultrasound, IFR, deep tissue massage and stretching. He did his internship with the former chiropractor for the '49ers.

If he wants to crack your neck and have you come back weekly for adjustments, walk out the door immediately.

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 11:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca
    If he wants to crack your neck and have you come back weekly for adjustments, walk out the door immediately.
    This is the best single piece of advice you're going to get
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast