Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    You are a fence-swinging asshole and they're beating you up in the hopes you might learn to calm down.
    I've sparred with guys like that before. They're fun.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my only experience in boxing has been what i've taught myself on a heavy bag so when i step into full contact against blackbelts your damn right im going to swing the way i know how to swing, and my instrcutor has been correcting my technique and teaching me how to throw a proper hook and uppercut, where the power comes from and how to avoid leaving yourself open to getting hit when you do swing, mainly taking the strength i have naturally and adding speed and technique to give me better skills as a fighter.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:42am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ark44
    my only experience in boxing has been what i've taught myself on a heavy bag so when i step into full contact against blackbelts your damn right im going to swing the way i know how to swing, and my instrcutor has been correcting my technique and teaching me how to throw a proper hook and uppercut, where the power comes from and how to avoid leaving yourself open to getting hit when you do swing, mainly taking the strength i have naturally and adding speed and technique to give me better skills as a fighter.
    You are being a dick when sparring. Probably involuntarily. Stop worrying about putting sick hits on people and worry about your defense, timing, movement, and giving your partner someone to learn on as you learn in trade.

Sparring is not competition.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my only experience in boxing has been what i've taught myself on a heavy bag
    then you REALLY don't know if you are doing ANYTHING correctly.

self-taught=self-ignorance
    so when i step into full contact against blackbelts your damn right im going to swing the way i know how to swing
    then this isn't sparring, it is a match and your instructor should know better then to throw a know-nothing white belt in with seasoned black belts.

or perhaps you are misunderstanding.....it may seem full-contact to you and you alone.
    and my instrcutor has been correcting my technique and teaching me how to throw a proper hook and uppercut, where the power comes from and how to avoid leaving yourself open to getting hit when you do swing, mainly taking the strength i have naturally and adding speed and technique to give me better skills as a fighter.
    then focus on what your INSTRUCTOR wants you to focus on and not what your THINK you SHOULD be doing. Focus on the proper form and everything else WILL come. I promise. What you *think* is your natural stregnth is you forcing the issue. Your real natural stregnth will come when you actually learn how to do something right.

or go back to self-teaching.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when explained that way it does seem less like a competition and more like a technique for increasing skill, timing, movement, footwork and preparing for fighting other skilled fighters. i also wanted to impress my instructor and i suppose that's me trying to prove i'm worth training even if i'm starting later in life than other fighters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sandy Claws
    realize that during sparring:
    1) you are a white belt and therefor considered the most dangerous person in the room because you don't know **** and don't realize you don't know ****.

One of our famous quotes from where I study is "You are more likely to get hurt from a white belt, then a black belt" We say it a lot and especially with white belt around. In my case I have never seem to have it happen to me, I end up get hurt from the experienced students, but I don't mind it so much.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can handle the head shots since i have protective head gear and jabs are jabs, but a sweeping kick to the abs sent me sprawling to the ground gasping for air, it was a wake up call, i never had the wind knocked out of me like that before, took me about 2 minutes to regain my breath

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i can handle the head shots since i have protective head gear and jabs are jabs, but a sweeping kick to the abs sent me sprawling to the ground gasping for air, it was a wake up call, i never had the wind knocked out of me like that before, took me about 2 minutes to regain my breath
    So now you'll stop being wild in sparring?

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when explained that way it does seem less like a competition and more like a technique for increasing skill, timing, movement, footwork and preparing for fighting other skilled fighters. i also wanted to impress my instructor and i suppose that's me trying to prove i'm worth training even if i'm starting later in life than other fighters.
    This is why you get kicked in the head all of the time. You're asking for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 1:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me be the first person to welcome you to fighting. I get my share of injuries. I've been hit in the both eyes 4 times. Countless times taking shots to my groin, etc. I don't mind getting hit in the head. Actually I like getting hit in the head to some extent, I find some joy out of it (Not sexually).
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast