Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 3:38pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrera26
    I do agree that a base of strength is neccesary and needed, but also knowing about Conjugate Periodization, I am of the opinion that he could develop other attributes at the same time, like Cardio, without really detracting from the Strength development.
    If there was a time issue, I would be inclined to agree with you considering his age.

Attempting to add to a great program like Starting Strength with an advanced periodization without a requirement for both is a mistake. The OP has 1 year to do a 3 - 9 month program that will get him to a point where periodization and cardio can be applied, then will start BJJ as an absolute novice.

He'll get a chance to develop cardio for a minimum of three months before he starts BJJ enough to learn without getting gassed, wiht no chance of eating up muscle gains in the mean time. Then he'll get the best anaerobic cardio workout on the planet in grappling. Ultimately getting good cardio isn't going to be a problem at his age.

Starting Strength is a simple program, with a great track record. If there was a pressing time issue, for example, American Football spring practice starts in four months and he's weak, undersized, and has no endurance, then yes - he would need to do both cardio and lifting. He'd also probably have a coach to help him throught that process.

This is an 18 year old with an eager attitude, a weight room, and plenty of time asking for help on an internet forum. Why complicate things when he is going to have to figure out thing for himself using a book and bunch of guys he hasn't met who, for the most part, live on another continent and spend as much time arguing amongst themselves as answering his questions. Better to keep it simple, and take baby steps. He'll get to the same point - probably in about the same time frame with a better chance of success than if he tries to alter the program before he even starts it.

The power of simplicity is staggering.
    Last edited by Jhemsley; 1/01/2008 3:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 3:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice. I'd probably go with number 8 - can't be sure I locked out fully.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I would like to add the following links as supplemental, additional references to the one provided by fatherdog:

"How Much Can You Lift (Wimp)?" by Brad Kaczmarski - http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1823834

This article examines relationships and balances between the different types of lifts based on annecdotes and observatiosn. That is, it gives a rough guide to figure out how much your bench press could be based on how much you deadlift, for example.

"Achieving Structural Balance" By Charles Poliquin - http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle....r=bodybuilding

This other article precedes the previous one just mentioned, and it covers optimal upper-body strenght rations. For example, how much can you externally rotate compared to how much you can bench press (a crucial balance needed to protect your shoulders from injury.)

Keep in mind that these are only guidelines, averages that can help you identify strenghts, weaknesses and areas for potential improvement.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 6:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got my copy of SS2 and the Training Log! Gonna give it a read through before my local gym reopens.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno if anyone still gives a ****, but I had my first workout this afternoon after reading SS. ****. What a difference! My form was pretty shitty before, now (barring a few little things) my lifts are way smoother and tighter. Left my log book in my brother's car, but will post weight/reps/sets when I get it.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 12:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great news man. You should keep a training log here and record your progress and observations.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left my log book in my brother's car when I left the gym. Will post up all my reps and sets soon!

Is there any function on the site for adding a training log, so it's all in one place? Can I do this through my profile?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The supporting members can get their own training logs. Otherwise, you could use a weblog like xanga or livejournal to record your progress.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    1/06/2008 12:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by angry welshman
    ****, that's a 1RM strength standard? That throws everything out a bit. Though I'm near the novice standards for press, bench and squat, my deadlift is 25 pounds over the intermediate level for a 148lb lifter LOL. Need some recalculation I think!
    You gotta remember these things are based on surveyed averages, and everybody is a different shape, with tendons and muscles attached at different points along their bones, different proportionate limb lengths, muscle compositions, etc..

I first saw that chart after I'd spent a few months doing a routine based on Rippetoe (but with some exercises replaced with stuff I'd read in Pavel Tsatouline books to account for lack of a training partner/spotter) and I also found myself ahead of the average for deadlift and for overhead press (always had big upper back and shoulders), but behind for benchpress (no idea why, don't have particularly small chest or triceps). <shrugs> We're all different.
    Last edited by Cullion; 1/06/2008 12:54pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2008 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squats in the 4th workout (today) were 65kgx5x3. 15kg (33lb) increase in a week. Thanks Rippetoe!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast