Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have an email address for Smith, or for the department, so that we can check on this guy's bona fides?

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is Tai Chi considered a Martial Art?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:32am

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    two replies to two replies, first is, I can't recall the book, some guy taking like shotokan, and also studying judo, and went to see a tai chi guy, and the tai chi guy basically knocked another guy acrossed the room. Was it a "real" knock or not? who knows, but he asked his teacher and his teacher said that tai chi is (only) for those certain someones who want to spend their lifetime training in it, and it can be very useful. Personally, I had also signed up for yoga as part of my own prescribed (no an MD did not recommend either) "rehab" program. and I consider the heavenly fist, more an excercies, but some of the faster tai chi's can be as useful as kata, and anything that imroves the body and mind, and the interconnection, useful. there is a video of one of the Gracies on you tube, and I swear it looks like he is using both yoga stances and yoga breathing exercies, such mastery of his own breath and body, it is like amazing, he is like lightyears ahead of anything I know. he is clearly a "technical tactician." As far as Smith goes, I do know he has been around Salt Lake for a long time, even had a school, but I also here there was another Buck Sam Kong Sim Lu Hung Gar Gung Fu (we are talking like 78-80s), a is very limited. I think Master Lu is fairly real, locally, been here since 80s, and also does acupuncture, and I have known him as the acquaintance level, over the years.

As with most martial artists teachers, it is like the emergency room docs I work with, a lot of ego in most of them. Of course, I think it takes ego, to go into teaching, and I sure want someone with a god complex, if I wrap my car around a telephone pole, working on me, I don't want someone who says, "gee, I don't know if i can do this..."! lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually, two things, Johny Rochette (sandan under Joko Ninomiya) used to say, "don't bad mouth other styles," and even Chuck Norris said, "I try not to ever talk bad about anyone." Both are fairly good advice, unless someone is just bad instruction, or there used to be a true gung-fu charlatan locally, who pretended to use chi to move things from a distance, a master of using his breath to make people think he was moving a pencil or piece of paper. oh yes, I remember his name James Hendrix? Hendrick? something like that, ended up in prison again, his story was hokey, but he was actually quite a talented physical specimen and martial artist.

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I presume this is the course:

http://www.slcc.edu/hla/activity.asp?CourseID=2819

Department: Health and Lifetime Activities Health/Lifetime Activities
    Credits: 1-

Description:
    Introduction in the incorporation of the fundamentals of martial arts into an exercise program rather than a combative program. Includes wellness and healthy lifestyle concepts.

So we need not worry about martial aspects right now as the course specifically disclaims combat. It just sounds like the guy wasn't getting paid much he's probably an adjunct who gets paid by the credit hour and may have decided to dog it. Or he's a bad teacher. Or you had inflated expectations.

What postures did you learn?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the other hung gar guy was Steve Miller?

Lewis

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, that is the course, however, my new tai chi "teacher" has wanted to teach at SLCC, and I did ask the dept. and they said that they are "full", as "Bill" teaches, and also one of his students teach. It is my guess that the student is the better teacher, more involved in teaching the course and the students, but then I don't know. It is sad, as this other young man that I just met, is very involved in tai chi chuan, he knows the 108 yang, as well as bei-jing 24, and he also knows a Chen? style, and he really gets into doing them, real kind of whip-like flowing motion, etc. For a "kid" he is pretty dang good, and I am glad I found him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    postures? wave hands like clouds, playing the lute, etc. etc. got through like 19 of the moves, I had a flat tire one day, and missed, and another day I was like ten minutes late, and the class had left, and I showed up, and he took us through some gi gung breathing and one time through the entire form, and said, "boy, was that a great workout or what," and left and walked over to his buddies in the weight room. It was the day I was going to tell him, "I need more..." but I just said, "screw this" and left, and never went back. One time I asked him, for the sake of me and a young Japanese woman, who were struggling with a move, to show it to us again, and he seemed real put out, and I asked him specifically, to show it to us three times, and he finally did, but then he made it seem like begging, like he was the master, and we had to walk a hundred miles to get one move, and all that horse ****, then practice it all week on our own, and then go back again. I know that half the people that took his class, about dropped it, and attrition like that is real unusual. And he would bad-mouth them, saying "they can't take it, they want some easy class like yoga..." lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go to google video or you tube, "bei jing 24", it is the standardized Chinese government form.

having learned kata in Wado, Kyokushin-kai, Ashihara, and Enshin, as well as forms in Tae Kwon Do (same as some of the Kyokushin-kai), I figure "this is not rocket science," and we can move faster? Some might say that he was teaching slow for the young kids, but I think that the kids might have even had a faster learning rate than me, as I am older, and my mind is full of other styles...? It would be interesting to find out more about how people learn, if they have studied something else before, if there is a psychology of learning, and how much it helps them, and how much it hurts them. I think that the closer they are to each other, lke pinan in wado and kyokushin-kai, it is harder, but if they are more different, it is better that way. any one who knows more about the psychology of learning out there? any research on the subject?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 12:35pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope you are wrong.

Tai Chi for health is done slow period. It has nothing to do with speed, power, or Martial applicability.

If you wanted something harder you should have read the class description.

*Edit*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl8oGTYnEFM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg0IaOjmHsE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAe95N3T8q8
    Last edited by It is Fake; 12/26/2007 12:38pm at .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast