Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 6:22pm

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

tai chi teachers suck!

well, broke my fibula this summer (didn't even know I had one), and opted to sign up for a tai chi class, a William (last name left out), who also teaches sim lee buck sam kong gung fu, anyway, he taught a move a class, and I finally dropped it, and complainted to the ed dept. of the community college. He would go on about how effective drunken style was, sold the students his concoction of **** to toughen up their arms, and maybe he could fight, but he was the ultimate in bullshido...he was also very derisive to students and other styles, lol!

I would still like to learn tai chi, just as a form of excercies and to re-stregnthen the leg, not as an extension of some teacher's big fat ego.

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this some sort of last-minute entry to the Dumbest MABS Thread Of the Year race?

You won't give a surname and you haven't given a community college name, so there is no way anyone can check up on your claims.

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 7:41pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please provide the full name of instructor and community college were he was teaching or I'll move the thread to YMAS.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Teaching 1 move a class sounds fair. Sounds like your just impatient, basics are vital.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 10:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    maybe I need to clarify? his name is William (Bill) Smith at Salt Lake Community College. he would show the move, maybe three times, for like five minutes, and then say okay "practice" and then sit down, or even worse, leaving. I finally went to another school that he had "bad-mouthed" (Cheng Tseng Lu's, they teach 108 Yang), walked in and asked if anyone could teach me 24 Bei-Jing, and found someone who would teach me, a young kid, three moves an hour, going over them several times in order. (I found the name on you-tube/googlevideo). As for not having patience? I have stayed with one teacher for 15 years, as we went through the evolution of Kyokushin-kai to Ashihara, to Enshin (no, not from Joko Ninomiya but one of his sandan), and aikido for three years, and have studied Judo from three teachers since 1972. By the way, being a newbie to this forum, Ninja Claus, what is ymas?

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 10:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, broke my fibula this summer (didn't even know I had one), and opted to sign up for a tai chi class, a William (last name left out), who also teaches sim lee buck sam kong gung fu, anyway, he taught a move a class, and I finally dropped it, and complainted to the ed dept. of the community college. He would go on about how effective drunken style was, sold the students his concoction of **** to toughen up their arms, and maybe he could fight, but he was the ultimate in bullshido...he was also very derisive to students and other styles, lol!

I would still like to learn tai chi, just as a form of excercies and to re-stregnthen the leg, not as an extension of some teacher's big fat ego.
    Dude, forget Tai Chi. You need to take English 095. :icon_stud

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blugularis
    maybe I need to clarify? his name is William (Bill) Smith at Salt Lake Community College. he would show the move, maybe three times, for like five minutes, and then say okay "practice" and then sit down, or even worse, leaving.
    Thanks, this is better. That does sound pretty lame, especially as postures often need a lot of correction and attention. One posture a class, or even one movement within a posture, isn't necessarily awful as long as class time is taken up with warm-ups/standing exercises, push hands, and other stuff, but if he's just posing and then taking off, that is pretty lame.

That said, the Health and Lifetime Activities Dept of a community college will never have great instruction. You do of course deserve your money's worth though.

Btw, did a doctor recommend tai chi for rehab?

Quote Originally Posted by blugularis
    By the way, being a newbie to this forum, Ninja Claus, what is ymas?
    Your Martial Arts Sucks, the goofball/comedy forum. This section, MABS, is for important consumer watchdog stuff.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 10:48pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The slow pace of learning should not be a problem--constant correction and attention to detail is important. Sounds like you didn't get the latter. The number of forms you practice is not such a big deal if you are just starting... If you practice 10 forms for an hour or 100 forms for an hour, it is nearly identical benefit. But if you don't practice correctly, you may be missing a lot of the benefit.

Good luck with your recovery and take it easy.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 11:46pm

Style: Very Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what else sucks? Misusing apostrophe's.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 4:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have more than welcomed correction and attention to detail, didn't get any of that. Also, I have seen some excellent sensei in college courses, in this era, Toshio Osaka (Wado), as well as Master G.K. Kim (WTF/TKD) and Jorge Valladeres (aikido) are all excellent instructors. Osaka was a champion in Japan, and has taken some competitors from the USA back to Japan. Jorge regularly travels to Japan, and has brought as many as four-five instructors in, at a weekend seminar. It may be that SLCC is a community college, which pays less than the full college of the University of Utah. However, night class teachers such as Jorge, have a regular day job, and don't really seem to be into it, for the money.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast