C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihonto
    I'm about a half hour north of Atlanta, if you go a few miles further north it's dueling banjos and vehicle graveyards on front lawns. The roads have no shoulders at all so you are taking your life into your hands running or biking.
    Especially with loud music through plug-in earphones...

But then again: "without the threat of death there's no reason to live at all"... (MM, 1996)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 4:57pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleskunk
    i read somewhere on this forum that if you sprint as fast as you can for as far as you can, multiple times (not neccessarily at the same session) that this can increase your stamina and stuff, is that true. the main reason why i hate running is because i get hella tired, i run or rather walk a 9 minute mile...
    It looks like you just asked if running improves your stamina.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Weak

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 4:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cassius, I think your advice is okay, could have been laid out in a way that was easier to read. Some things I'd like to add (I come from a long distance running background and love to run but have to change the way I use running to enhance my MA):

1. Focus is key, anytime you 'feel' tired use your brain to analyse the feeling, don't stop running!. Relax, focus on breathing deeply and work through any minor pain you might feel in your legs. Even if you have to slow down, keep running.

2. At the end of any running program (whether you ran 6 miles that day, tabata sprints, 2 mile hill intervals etc.), I suggest you finish off with a 100 metre sprint (eventually you can increase this to 3x100metre sprints with 30 seconds of walking/slow jogging in between).

No matter how fatigued you are you need to be able to push your body beyond your perceived 'limit' and in MA this is vital, to be able to provide that burst of energy to finish off an opponent, for that last throw, sparring etc.

3. I am not big, I am not strong and I don't look like a threat in any way. However my cardiovascular endurance kicks the ass of every single guy I train with. At the end of a class I'm still the one standing, not puffing, going red, looking like I'm going to have a heart attack and with the energy and stamina to do more.

4. Don't run outside with earphones/ipod etc. - just not worth the risk if you're running in traffic

5. Interval sprints FTW if you're focusing on enhancing your MA. I like using natural markers like telegraph poles (sprint between one, jog to the next, sprint, jog etc.).

6. Lying start interval runs (for the people who only have 5 minutes to run) - this can be done indoors with limited space. Place 2-3 markers at different points of the room. Lie on your stomach, push up and push off and sprint to one marker. Get down for a pushup and push off to the next marker. Sprint for a minute changing direction between the markers, speed and explosive movement from the ground up is KEY.

Take a 1 minute rest. The next interval is 45 seconds with a 45 second rest. Then 30 seconds work:rest and the last interval 15 seconds work:rest. It will kick your ass. Start all intervals on the ground, lying flat on your stomach.

7. If you choose to be lazy then its all the better for your training partners when you gas out like a loser and get submitted.
    Last edited by Lily; 12/30/2007 5:18pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 7:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    It looks like you just asked if running improves your stamina.
    yea but what i failed to say was is it really WORTH the trouble to sprint it like 3 times compared to x miles of running a day

Weak

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 8:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What we're saying is that a combination of long runs, interval training, sprint intervals etc. will be the most beneficial way to build cardiovascular capacity specifically for MA.

Aerobic training (eg. long distance running, jogging a few miles at the same pace) will increase your cardio endurance. This is not the most efficient way of building speed and power.

Anaerobic training (HIIT, tabata etc.) will build cardio endurance, you will see gains in power and speed, reduce your cardio recovery time and burn body fat. The downside of this is you may be more prone to picking up an injury if you don't know what you're doing.

Thus a combination of both is the best way to increase your cardio endurance.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 12:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo & Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the post especially about the IT band stretches and Fartlek technique.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 12:26am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once I learned proper running technique, running became a lot easier.

Then I became fat and it's hard again.

It was always boring, though. So, HOW DO MAKE RUNNING FUN?

You can't. But get a dog. I take mine to the local school yard, let him loose, and then do my thing until he gets tired. Helps if the school has a track on it. Any decent junior high should. It won't make it fun, but you're already there, so you might as well run.

Of course, this is assuming your dog isn't a total moron. Mine is well behaved and doesn't run up to other people or other dogs.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 12:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, MT Punching bag

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleskunk
    yea but what i failed to say was is it really WORTH the trouble to sprint it like 3 times compared to x miles of running a day
    I get what you're saying and yes, it does greatly increase your stamina to do numerous sprints, however, like everyone else has been saying, you need to pair this up with long distance running to benefit optimally.

For example, a boxer may try and run hard for 3 minutes, and then jog lightly for 30s-1min before going hard again to try and simulate their heart rate/intensity in a real fight.

Thats my two cents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 2:53am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Poop Loops]
    It was always boring, though. So, HOW DO MAKE RUNNING FUN?quote]

get a running partner, a girl, make her wear tights, run behind her

Weak

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 3:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love running for the high I get. Seriously, some people are just missing out.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast