Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 4:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like many of you, I hate running. This was a great post Cassius. I have been trying to get myself back into good running shape because I'm planning to re-enlist in the army and right now running is the only thing I am waiting on. I have never been a good runner and have never had a good attitude about running, but now that I have motivation it has been much easier - now, I just have to overcome the mental and physical limitations

I'm 6'4", 258lbs and have been working out pretty good for three months. I've dropped 5-6% body fat, lost 4 inches off my gut (I let grad school do bad things to my health), but I replaced all the fat with muscle. I'm happy about that, but it sure as hell doesn't make me any lighter on my feet.

I'm shopping around for a new cell phone and need one with music capabilities for the reasons you mentioned above. If I can zone out and take my mind off running (I've managed it a few times before) my stride opens up and I actually end up looking like a runner. I am not sure what causes my mental blocks, but I am fully aware of them and taking measures to break them down.

I'm also going to be more diligent about by stretching. I usually stretch my calves and hamstrings pretty good, but need to pick up the slack in the other areas. Thanks again for the post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 6:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dynamic Stretching is very very good, will help you stretch throughout the entire Range of Motion. Also, warmup, then stretch. You need to get all the nerves in your body going and lower the viscosity in your muscles before you can really stretch to your own limit.

I run once a week, only do interval running, and freaking hate it. I have run a 5:30 mile (treadmill, 1 deg. incline), and it has done a lot for me I know, but I still would rather get kicked in the balls than run.

2 Mile runs every tuesday

2x 1 mile w/ 90 sec rest between

4x 1/2 mile w/ 90 sec rest between

8x 1/4 mile w/ 90 sec rest between

20x 100M sprints, jog back to line.

Each one done at max possible pace, if done right I should barely be able to stand by the end of each one. Right now, that usually equates to 10mph @ 1 deg incline.

As a note, Interval running will allow a higher amount of fat burn, increase anaerobic capacity far more, increase aerobic capacity at the same level, and avoid the muscle loss (catabolism) you get from long distance sub-max pace running.

If long distance running is your bliss, then have at it and ignore me. If you're using it as a training tool for MA, then keep your runs relatively short and all-out for max benefit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 10:43am

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I'm getting older I've had start running on soft track, wood chipped trail or treadmill...just to save some wear and tear on my decaying joints.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 8:07pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My knees and lower back always hurt when I run, I'm not sure why and I'll certainly try varying and getting deeper into my stretching which hopefully will ease some of the pain. So right now whenever I go to the gym (2-4 times a week) I warm up with a half mile on the treadmill and a half mile on an elliptical machine. Honestly, because of the low impact that the elliptical offers I much prefer that. On a sadder note, I'm only 25 and I'm afraid that if my knees and lower back hurts now I am in for a middle/old age full of joint and muscle pain.

edited to add:

I realize that one total mile isn't much, but I'm getting better and I hope to increase the distance gradually. Also, like most people here I don't like running and I would rather be hitting the bag or going to the dentist.
    Last edited by theword; 12/29/2007 8:10pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 10:01pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does a treadmill = the r34l running?

I hate running. I hate everything about it. Crap weather, getting chased by dogs, passed too close by red-necks in pickup trucks ... I would rather run on a treadmill where I can at least watch crappy TV to distract me from how much I hate it.

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 10:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good post. I enjoy running even on a treadmill, I just listen to music and space out. I've had a lot of practice.

One minor thing though:

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Next: Buy a small mp3 player. Buy something cheap that uses FLASH memory, not a hard drive. The last generation of iPod nanos is pretty inexpensive, and you would probably do just as well buyinig a shuffle if you're on a really tight budget. Or you can just do without, but trust me, it makes a big difference..
    If you don't have a Mac, I would recommend you actually go for the Creative Zen series media players. Unlike a Shuffle, they have a screen, hold twice as much, and are about $10-$15 less. Also they hold pictures/video, voice recorder, fm radio.

I am somewhat of a geek.
    Last edited by nwbreneman; 12/29/2007 10:28pm at . Reason: add details

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 10:40pm

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cuatro has a good point about road slope. Long term, I can see how it would cause uneven wear on your body, unless of course you ignore good traffic safety and run back down the same side of the road for the other half of your run. Either way, I've run some highways that make for a pretty severe lurch to one side, even if I get to lurch the other way for the other half of the run.

Theword - assuming either is accurate, the elliptical in my gym was claiming to give me around 1000 calories an hour while the treadmill was only claiming around 800-900 in an hour, so there's another point in favor of the elliptical. I look at all my friends who are fucked up from too much high school athletics and pretend I'm already old and decrepit and spare my joints now so maybe it won't become mandatory that I do so in the future.

Nihonto, where are you from? I tried running down some country roads in East Tennessee and so many rednecks pulled up and offered me rides I had to give up and find a treadmill. I never thought there was such a thing as too much southern hospitality, but that was it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 11:50pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nwbreneman
    Good post. I enjoy running even on a treadmill, I just listen to music and space out. I've had a lot of practice.

Beat me to it....that's pretty much what I do also. I finally invested in an ipod...so now I don't have to run while holding all those casette tapes. lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 4:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i read somewhere on this forum that if you sprint as fast as you can for as far as you can, multiple times (not neccessarily at the same session) that this can increase your stamina and stuff, is that true. the main reason why i hate running is because i get hella tired, i run or rather walk a 9 minute mile...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2007 2:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt
    Nihonto, where are you from? I tried running down some country roads in East Tennessee and so many rednecks pulled up and offered me rides I had to give up and find a treadmill. I never thought there was such a thing as too much southern hospitality, but that was it.
    I'm about a half hour north of Atlanta, if you go a few miles further north it's dueling banjos and vehicle graveyards on front lawns. The roads have no shoulders at all so you are taking your life into your hands running or biking.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast