Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

blotter art.

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 1:17am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I wish I had a track to run on, running around the neiborhood sucks balls.

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 1:33am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    I'd like to add also that when pple suffer from shin splins, one of the best and fastest ways to get them out is with a foam roller. That works wonders.
    I've never had an issue with this, but I've read from multiple sources that this is the way to go as a supplement to resting your body. Every time my shins have hurt from a run, it's either been because I was running on terribly uneven terrain or because I needed new shoes. DON'T EVER RUN WITH SHOES THAT ARE WORN OUT OR DON'T FIT YOUR FOOT AND/OR PRONATION. YOU WILL DESTROY YOUR BODY.

One thing that helps relieve pain in my shins from either a bad run or worn out shoes is muscle rub. **** works wonders on the body.

Edit: If you're reading this thread, and you don't take at least 3000mg of Fish Oil a day, GO BUY SOME DAMN FISH OIL. **** works wonders on your body.
    Last edited by Cassius; 12/26/2007 1:36am at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 1:49am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if any part of your lower back or leg(s) is in pain, try doing IT band stretches a few times a day before you see a doctor, physical therapist, or even a chiropractor. Just google "IT band stretches" and a number of them will come up. I cannot overemphasize how important your Iliotibial band is to your body. If you don't take care of it, just running, walking, and even sitting will hurt, let alone any sort of martial arts activity. Not taking care of your IT band can result in herniated discs in your back, tendonitis in your knees, shin splints, destruction of cartilage in your knees, ACL/MCL strains and tears, uncounted problems with your hips, and all kinds of nasty ****. It's THAT important to your body, and it's so overlooked by most athletes, it's not even funny.

If have legs, you should be stretching your IT bands before you work out.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 1:52am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is interesting:
    http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.v2.html

It's about the IT band (I didn't know what it was so I looked it up). Running on one side of the road aggravates the IT band and the pelvis because roads slope down from the center and cause a slight tilt to your lower body as you run. So I guess running on a level track or treadmill is optimal.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 1:17am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google "Fartleks."

Also, for those of you that demand data and figures to go along with your fitness, you can do a couple of things. One is you can invest in something like a Garmin Forerunner or other gizmo that'll track (in order of priority) distance covered, heart rate, interval times, and GPS coordinates.

For those who don't want to shell out for gizmos, check out http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ It's a hack of Google Maps that'll let you create maps and figure out how far you've gone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 9:59am

Style: Krav Maga (4), BJJ white

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try to run daily, if for nothing more than to have gas for training and sparring. I vary it as much as possible--run on treadmills, outside, different locations, etc.

One thing I'd like to try is parkour http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour , but I currently live in a flat mid-southern town that doesn't have the kind of terrain that makes a parkour run exciting. Anyone else ever try it?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread was genuinly usefull to me. As I hate running but appreciate the need for it. So Ive got some new shoes and am trying to motivate myself. Have talked to people about fartleks and that seems the best way to go for MA cardio. With abit of skipping I should be feeling good just in time for the oxford TD.

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 11:39am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Front paged!

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Cassius!

I too hate running, but know I have to do it. I have my new pair of Saucony's ready for whenever I have that rare moment of "enough time and motivation at once" to leave the house and gallop on the school tarmac track in front of it...

Now somebody should make a similar thread about swimming. That's the other thing I hate and want to do.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I much prefer swimming!. I find getting a partner to race/ count laps with is always good for motivation. My friend who I do it with has utter rubbish technique but has ridiculous amounts of stamina, so he just keeps on trekking for a 100 laps.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast