Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 9:16am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Affordable Boxing Gloves?

I'm starting at a new MT club in January, and I want to get some gloves (old club provided them). The only ones available locally are Everlast, which are apparently tiny and hard to make a fist with. I've got fairly big hands, so this would suck.

Any ideas for affordable, but decent gloves for bagwork/pads and sparring? I'm a student, so I don't have 45 or silly money. Ebay/Amazon are fine, as long as the P&P isn't stupid.

Also, is it worth picking up a pair of MMA gloves for bagwork/upcoming Bullshido throwdowns (i'd imagine boxing gloves would be a disadvantage in MMA sparring)? A friend just upgraded his and I was tempted to make an offer for the old ones (after washing them, lol).

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 1:29pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach recommends Grant brand gloves. Avoid Everlast, I've had and seen nothing but problems with there stuff. Apparently, they are one of those brands that made a big name (pitney bowes, xerox and most of the US cars made today) and now puts out crap, like many other companies. It's kind of like those clothes my 14 year old niece wears- they have big huge brand names on them, just so you know who made them, lest you realize that it is cheaply made- i.e. Armani Exchange, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 6:30pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    My coach recommends Grant brand gloves. Avoid Everlast, I've had and seen nothing but problems with there stuff. Apparently, they are one of those brands that made a big name (pitney bowes, xerox and most of the US cars made today) and now puts out crap, like many other companies. It's kind of like those clothes my 14 year old niece wears- they have big huge brand names on them, just so you know who made them, lest you realize that it is cheaply made- i.e. Armani Exchange, etc.
    Yea my instructor calls Everlast, Neverlast mainly b/c he bought two speed bags in the late 60's early 70's and they didn't last very long. I've used ring side brand products, and aries brand as well. I have a pair of gloves from Aries and they rock. I know there are other good products, from Fairtex, and TItle boxing which are supposed to be good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 8:15am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    might wanna read this http://www.mymuaythai.com/archives/g...boxing-gloves/

and the comments of what other people say/suggest to use under the article

ive only use fairtex so i dont have anything to put in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 5:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Big question, what size to get? I'm weedy as hell (upper body strength isn't my forte.. XP), so I'm not going to punch very hard in the first place.

12oz or 14oz? I get the impression anything less is for bags only, and anything more will be like punching with pillows.

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 6:12pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ask your instructor what style, ask your instructor what size, ask your instructor what brand, and ask your instructor if he knows where to get them cheap.

(i'd be quite surprised if he let you use less than 16oz gloves)

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 6:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whisper, I used to train exclusively with 16oz for pad work and 12/14oz for sparring. In regards to makes, I always found Twins stuff to be pretty good.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Whisper, I used to train exclusively with 16oz for pad work and 12/14oz for sparring. In regards to makes, I always found Twins stuff to be pretty good.
    Yeah, I've heard good things about Twins. The only problem is the price, but I'll scour ebay and see if anyone's selling any off.

Pauli, we used less than 16oz in my old club. I really should have asked about the club ones before I left, since gross or not, they were reliable and must have been fairly cheap to buy in.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    1/02/2008 7:39pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want decent and cheap gloves, go to Ringside and check out their Top Contender gloves.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.