Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 4:14am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Prowler: A Review

Today I present to you a review of a little piece of equipment commonly refered to as the Prowler.

Anyone who frequents sites such as defrancostraining, elitefts, or westside barbell should be familiar with the Prowler. Anyone who doesnt, its basically a sled on steriods. Hell being such a nice guy I'll even included a picture.

(not me and yes I have no idea why he has loaded the sides with different weights)

Now to the review. I got this today as a christmas present and have taken it for a spin once. I just used it on the grassy hill near my house. My initial plan was to just do some light run throughs, get the feel for the thing and how to do things before increasing intensity in following sessions. Well half an hour later I was on the verge of throwing up.

I must add I am not a very big fan of running. I can tolerate it but it really isnt my cup of tea. Sprints are alright but I really dislike anything over 200m. Using this I never experienced any of the boredom I normally encounter with running.

The best thing about this piece of equipment is how it challenges you and I dont just mean physically. Its almost as if the mofo is taunting you to work harder. I used it unweighted but there is also the option of adding weight.

I recommend this to anyone who is serious about increasing their GPP and conditioning. It is especially relevant to people that arn't keen on traditional conditioning methods that involve running.

Edit: My html powers are weak

-- EDIT (Macho)--

Raining, if you go to the advanced editor, you'll find a a button that allows you to embed pics in your post. Also, click on 'edit' and you'll see the tags used for that purpose.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 12/25/2007 1:26pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 1:30pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WOW, SWEET WOW!!!!

I want one of those. I'm with you, word by word, about running and sprinting. You are a lucking bastard for having one of those.

Question: can it be dismantled and put inside a car's trunk? Can it be used for pulling as well?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:21pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Color me jealous. I love sled training, but I live in the middle of Manhattan. The closest thing I get is dragging my classmates around the mats during warmup...
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 2:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanna pick up the econo prowler soon. Glad to know this thing got such great reviews.

Macho, check this out

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/prowler.htm
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    WOW, SWEET WOW!!!!

Question: can it be dismantled and put inside a car's trunk? Can it be used for pulling as well?
    Not sure how compact it is (I'll leave that to the OP) but you could easily get some rope and either pull it or construct a waist strap.

Good review BTW, looks like a bitching piece of equipment

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 9:45pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I frequent EliteFTS and remember seeing this. It looks cool, but much like tire/truck dragging very space-requiring. I don't really own any expanse of land so I can't go out to the park with something like this. Seems like something coaches of teams could take advantage of better.

Last edited by tyciol; 12/26/2007 9:52pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan
    Not sure how compact it is (I'll leave that to the OP) but you could easily get some rope and either pull it or construct a waist strap.

Good review BTW, looks like a bitching piece of equipment
    I'm actually building something right now (I buy a lot of crap to make stuff for working out, very impractical sometimes, but it's just a hobby :P)

Anyways, it will be made of small tires bolted to a wooden frame. The frame will have a pair of holes onto which you can attach and deattach metal pipes for pushing and pulling or for sledge pulling.

I just need the time to sit down, pull my toolbox and build that ****.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tyciol
    Yeah I frequent EliteFTS and remember seeing this. It looks cool, but much like tire/truck dragging very space-requiring. I don't really own any expanse of land so I can't go out to the park with something like this. Seems like something coaches of teams could take advantage of better.

Psh, I bet those skinny bitches couldn't even run a full circuit on the thing, posers.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:38pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess EliteFTS is stealing marketing strategies from T-nation :p

Posted On:
    12/29/2007 12:50am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

pushing sled

Here is an ebay item slightly cheaper than an econo prowler. Those of you that are welders should be able to make one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

Here is a link with a description of a homemade version
    http://animalability.yuku.com/topic/374
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast