Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/01/2003 1:38pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Questions on a few exercises...

I'm looking at a couple of exercises in the book Best Judo by Isao Inokuma (olympic gold medalist and 2x winner of All Japan judo, and also World Championships winner). The last chapter is on exercises to do for judo. The thing is that this book was written in the 60s or 70s, and I'm weary of some of the exercises.

One exercise that seems like it'd get you strong as hell, but with the possibility of getting injured is called "Bench Leg Raise." Basically, you lie down on a bench (facing up), with your legs hanging off of it. The lowest part of your body touching the bench is the bottom of your butt. You then lift your legs up (starting from a little more than 180 degrees, maybe more like 210 or 220) all the way to 90 degrees. He shows this exercises with your legs holding a medicine ball but says to start off without it (obviously).

Does this exercise seem safe to you? Any tips/experiences doing it?

Also, here's another exercise:

Ball Toss: You need two parterners for this. You lie down on a bench (this time facing downwards), with your upper body off of it (your waist is at the edge of the bench). One partner sits on your bench/legs and holds them down. The other one stands about five feet away from you, facing you. The one facing you tosses you a medcine ball, which you catch, and then kinda lift up with your stomach and toss (you do it up the middle, and also twist to the right and left, while throwing forwards).

And the "upper body bend." You basically are laying down on the ground (face down), a partner holds onto your legs, and you raise your body up. It's like a reverse sit up. It's similar to the "superman" exercise we do at my judo club (and I've seen pretty commonly done before).

And finally, what about squats. Is it ok to go past 90 degrees (I've heard it's if you do it in certain ways, but am not sure what the proper technique is).

I realize these aren't the best explanations. I'll try to find some pics.
    Last edited by mikus; 11/01/2003 1:53pm at .
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Posted On:
    11/01/2003 1:52pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm, no he doesn't. I imagine it's so that your legs can go past 180 degrees.

Oh I realized that in my post I said 150 degrees. I meant like 210 degrees. I'ma edit that...
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.