Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2010 7:33pm

Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fast way to change TKD:
    Bribe the IOC to push for rules changes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2010 12:41am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I should consider myself blessed to train at a good school. My school is not outrageously expensive, the instructors aren't douche bags or arrogant self-absorbed jerks, classes are fun and dynamic and we don't focus solely on competition sparring. It saddens me though to see how so many people have had such bad experiences with Taekwondo. Part of the problem I believe may be due to its huge popularity. With so many people willing to pay for it, that opens up the windows for bad schools to open up where profit is the main goal and not quality martial art isntruction.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2010 2:43pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    I guess I should consider myself blessed to train at a good school. My school is not outrageously expensive, the instructors aren't douche bags or arrogant self-absorbed jerks, classes are fun and dynamic and we don't focus solely on competition sparring. It saddens me though to see how so many people have had such bad experiences with Taekwondo. Part of the problem I believe may be due to its huge popularity. With so many people willing to pay for it, that opens up the windows for bad schools to open up where profit is the main goal and not quality martial art isntruction.
    True, and just to add, a lot of places hardly (if at all) have sparring. Why? perhaps liability issues and/or they figure that an injured student is one less student on their paycheck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2010 9:18am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
    True, and just to add, a lot of places hardly (if at all) have sparring. Why? perhaps liability issues and/or they figure that an injured student is one less student on their paycheck.
    Its easier to train people who think they can fight vs. train people who can fight. Big difference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2010 12:23am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype View Post
    Really? I've not heard of this at all. My experiences may be limited, but of the numerous schools I have encountered they focused on sparring about as much as my own school does.

Injured students? Seriously, what the ****? Taekwondo is a martial art. You learn how to use your body as a weapon. If you're too much a ***** to take a punch or kick why are you paying for lessons in the first place?

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 6:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do I no longer train in TKD? After getting to 1st dan I moved to go to college and wanted to try something else. Punching and kicking are great, but I wanted more so I tried some kung fu, tried Aikido (to much peace and harmony), and eventually found Hapkido. At the school I train at we do forms, grappling, weapons, sparring, everything I want to do at this time.

TKD is almost like a subset of HKD to me. I still practice the chun ji forms so I don't completely forget them, but I enjoy Hapkido training much more.

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 9:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted on this thread before while i was still doing tkd however i found it funny hearing the person under me talk about how his school started 2 go downhill and i saw that when i went 2 take krav maga. As i took krav i bean 2 see my school become less alive and doing less sparring and seeing these god awful gun and knife defenses. Then my 1st dan test was the final straw when they charged me 4 boards when they charged me 750 for a testing fee and i had 2 sign a contract saying i cant practice/enter tournaments without consent of the grand master(i broke both of those b4 signing the paper). although now that i do muay thai i did help me with kicks and flexibility and prob would not b as good if i didnt do tkd. however after trying 2 screw as much money as they could from from me 4 that test i stuck with my krav/mma gym

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 7:52pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because we all know Krav Maga isn't about the money.

Posted On:
    9/04/2010 8:18am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much the same old story as everyone else. I was 15 at the time, so the money was my parents' thing, so I can't speak to that. I thought it was awesome at the time, but as I got older and eventually found Bullshido, I realized it had all the red flags. Endless line drills, entire classes devoted to forms, barely any sparring above one-step, 14 year old black belts, wrist grab "self defense"...you name it.

I went to a tournament once, and won second place with zero sparring experience because I had the audacity to use my hands. No face punches, of course, but nobody seemed to know what to do with a short guy who liked to get inside and throw body shots. If I'd known any better then, the answer probably would have been "ditch for the kyokushin dojo across town". I remember thinking how odd it was at the time that nobody else had had this brilliant flash of inspiration to punch.

After I'd gone to college, I met a bunch of wrestlers who I became friends with, and we got to talking about fighting. I wanted to see if what I'd learned (elbow to the neck...groan) would work against a shot. Naturally, it didn't, and that was pretty much that. One odd thing about the place is that while it was WTF TKD, the instructor used Japanese terms for everything. He was our sensei, we trained in a dojo, we counted in Japanese. Weird. We did use the Korean names for the forms and techniques though, so I know he knew that much, at least. They also taught kendo and aikido while I was there.

Looking at their website, it looks like they have an IJF 4th dan teaching judo there twice a week now, who also trains in MT and is an amateur MMA fighter. So there might be some hope for them yet.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 9/04/2010 8:22am at .
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819