Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71314151617 1819 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2009 2:46pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seeing all the corruption plaguing the organization, Tae Kwon Do guys not being able to live up to their talks and claims, all the cockiness and arrogance and uber nationalism under the guise of "Respect", and just seeing too many Tae Kwon Do schools in one area made me sick to the stomach.
    Thank goodness I stopped doing TKD after I moved to United States and got into MMA and Kali

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2009 2:17am

Style: ShinKyokushin/Shitoryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well...I stopped TKD for a simple reason...I moved house...

I was 10 years old and had a red-black in WTF TKD... don't remember much beside sparring against monsters at that time (13-14 year olds!!!) I was very small so I did not know much, I knew I loved stretching ALOT for some reason.

My parents moved across nearly the WHOLE country (It's Singapore so that is around a 45 mins drive).

That kind of commute so not possible so I picked up basketball throughout pri-sec school and got back into martial arts a little later.

Picked up Hayashi Shito-ryu Karate, which I still do now and decided to pick up Kyokushin Karate, which I also still do now...

Posted On:
    12/18/2009 3:10am

Style: MT, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aznraven View Post
    My parents moved across nearly the WHOLE country (It's Singapore so that is around a 45 mins drive).

That kind of commute so not possible...
    Boy, I drive 45 minutes to boxing every other day. Well, that's a lie, it's closer to 30. But that's because I drive like a maniac.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2009 9:12am

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    The fact that the guy I was under couldn't pass his fourth degree test which kept me at 2nd for 2 years and the light switch came on in '93. I started Judo in '95 and have not looked back since then. I gave up the school I managed in '96 with 100+ students to try and make it to the top ten in Judo. It never happened but the training was fun.

The most impressive thing about Judo that made me quit TKD was the approach to the style and fighting/competing. Aside from breaking the rules and deliberately trying to injury someone, Judo allowed, hell encouraged, me to improvise and modify techniques to make them better for me. When I tried this approach in TKD it was meet with strong opposition and I was reprimanded by the organizations founders on several occasions. Generally after beating their top student in a match.

Then I got the chance to train with real elite athletes. I got to see and be instructed by Olympic coaches from the US, Canada, Britain, France, Germany, Australia and Japan who all gave tips and advice freely and without a condescending attitude.

Judo truly is the real deal when it comes to a MA. The reason I say that is that it main principle of mutual welfare and benefit is amplified everyday in every class and generally with every instructor. I never saw that in TKD or Karate at the level you see it in Judo. I extend this philosophy to my MMA guys and we all have a great time.

Its hard for people to understand this because the have been brain washed into thinking that they need a master to train them instead of a group of hard working like minded people that will push you to improve and not bow down before them.

thats exactly what happened to me. i hit my plateau in TKD and went to study judo. after a few months of judo i never wanted to go to TKD again. the one thing that sticks out for me in judo is that judoka's can actually fight and even a guy who is a belt higher than me in judo will kick my ass with ease. where as when i was a yellow belt in ITF TKD i could easy defeat black belts.

also in my judo training the other players are al ways willing to give you tips and teach you there variations of throws/ chokes etc to help you get better. while at my TKD dojang there was just an air of snobbery amoung the higher ranks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 12:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I quit TKD three years ago, but started again. When I quit last time, it was because of three reasons:

1) I felt like none of the students or instructors followed the philosophy of Taekwondo or the life skills they taught (preached?). In other words, it felt like bullshit.

2) My ex enrolled in the instructor's program. She disliked me a lot. Training in the same room as her became very uncomfortable.

3) Too easy. I learned forms and did them better than most students including higher-ranked students in a matter of... well, minutes? hours? After 2 lessons I had learned my form and two forms above mine.

My official reason was that I had sprained my foot. It was a legitimate reason, as I got sickly afraid of training after. But... I could've done some intensive rehab and gotten back on track within two weeks. Now, upon my return, I decided - what the hell, let's get that black belt and then see where you go. Then I decided that two out of three instructors sucked, so I paid a bunch of money to enroll in their instructor's program. To show them how Taekwondo should be taught.

Now I do spinning hook kicks on myself because I now know that ours is a McDojang. I actually sent a long-ass mail to our head instructor and complained about the direction that the club was taking. Of course, I complained in a manner of constructive criticism, level-headedly and objectively. If he agrees with me, then our club may be one of very few if not the first club/school of ATA/WTTU that aren't McDojangs or belt factories.

I proposed stricter demands for passing tests, and backed up my suggestions with valid arguments regarding the purpose of Songahm Taekwondo and the purpose(s) of Songahm. I also proposed more room on self-defense and grappling. I made the nasty move of quoting the ATA's website regarding their Taekwondo partly being self-defense. Hah! I also suggested allowing harder sparring for those that wished it and were deemed capable by instructors.

If it were up to me, I'd do what would be needed to open a club and instruct and grade people. I'd do away with the one-step spars, reduce the amount of belts (still keep the number of geups) and the amount of testing opportunities, and focus much more on at least semi-contact sparring.

Heck, In 10-15 years I may as well try to develop a style of Taekwondo that is in Taekwondo what Kyokushin is in Karate.

Did that make any sense?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 10:17pm

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallon View Post
    Then I decided that two out of three instructors sucked, so I paid a bunch of money to enroll in their instructor's program. To show them how Taekwondo should be taught.

Now I do spinning hook kicks on myself because I now know that ours is a McDojang. I actually sent a long-ass mail to our head instructor and complained about the direction that the club was taking. Of course, I complained in a manner of constructive criticism, level-headedly and objectively. If he agrees with me, then our club may be one of very few if not the first club/school of ATA/WTTU that aren't McDojangs or belt factories.

I proposed stricter demands for passing tests, and backed up my suggestions with valid arguments regarding the purpose of Songahm Taekwondo and the purpose(s) of Songahm. I also proposed more room on self-defense and grappling. I made the nasty move of quoting the ATA's website regarding their Taekwondo partly being self-defense. Hah! I also suggested allowing harder sparring for those that wished it and were deemed capable by instructors.

If it were up to me, I'd do what would be needed to open a club and instruct and grade people. I'd do away with the one-step spars, reduce the amount of belts (still keep the number of geups) and the amount of testing opportunities, and focus much more on at least semi-contact sparring.

Heck, In 10-15 years I may as well try to develop a style of Taekwondo that is in Taekwondo what Kyokushin is in Karate.

Did that make any sense?
    Someone thinks too highly of themselves have you thought that maybe there are schools that teach the way you want ? You could just leave the ATA being part of that mess was your first mistake.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2010 10:29pm

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I left TKD for three reasons:

1. Retard slow theoretical learning due to McDojoism. 1 whole year to learn how to punch, turn and kick (White to green) over three grading exams all which require payment?
    2. Retard slow practical learning due to lack of aliveness. I learnt more in 1.5 years at Ashihara Karate than 1 year at ITF TKD in my high school (equal).
    3. Lies, lies, lies. Lies about its origin, lies about its safety, lies about its effectiveness

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2010 2:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alnwicktkd View Post
    Someone thinks too highly of themselves have you thought that maybe there are schools that teach the way you want ? You could just leave the ATA being part of that mess was your first mistake.
    Hehe, can ou be more specific on what you mean by "schools that teach the way you want"? I'm sure there are schools that teach the way I want, the question is: Where do I find them? If you're talking about Taekwondo, then I doubt I'll find the thing I'm looking for anywhere in my country. I am picking up Muay Thai though, so the fighter part in me will be satisfied.

You're right, joining a Songahm club (I can't say ATA because I live in Sweden and there is no ATA outside the US) was my first mistake. I can either just leave the whole mess be, or at least try to make a change. Ours is the only Songahm club in Sweden so I'd say we have some leeway.

Now explain how I think too highly of myself?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 8:48am

Style: taekwon-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the school you trained at sucks thats not a good basis for trying to teach good TKD there is a video somewhere in the KMA forum showing good tkd it is out there.As for songham being the best TKD availible in sweden I kind of doubt this there are dozens of TKD orgs both ITF and WTF orientated I find it hard to believe there isnt a single good dojang affiliated to either org in all of sweden.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2010 10:46am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did TKD when I was really young and thought it was karate (In my defense, I was REALLY young and it all looked the same to me with the gi's and all).I'm not gonna lie, my story isn't all that interesting.

I basically quit because...

1. I was incredibly bored since all we did was katas and MAYBE punching/kicking bags briefly.

2. As I went up in rank, we did the most BS no contact sparring Iv'e ever seen and at the time couldn't tell if it was sparring or mashing each others katas together. Either way, that was the last straw.

Although I have to thank TKD for teaching me how to punch and kick (Yes, I was THAT young).

Regardless of TDK training, I still got bullied and beat up as a kid (I was a thin and weak little kid) so for some weird reason I became a pacifist thinking that would stop it (IT DIDN'T!). I was a pacifist for years until a few months before I graduated middle school...

Best Friend: "You're going to THAT SCHOOL?!"

Me: "Yeah, so?"

Best Friend: " That is the most violent school you could possibly go to! You HAVE TO learn how to fight or they will eat you alive!"

Sure enough he was right. Fights broke out almost on a daily basis. It was almost like a prison but minus the rape so I decided to give up pacifism (since it NEVER WORKED) and took up boxing, wrestling, and pumped Iron.

Not to brag (and I hate bragging), but I did kick a lot of ass and yes I had my share of painful losses. Point being, I went from skinny pacifist who got beaten to an athlete that people knew better than to cross (most of the time at least).

Ok, I know I went from "I quit TKD because..." to my general MA history, but the point that I am trying to make is...

1. IMHO Pacifism only works in a world made up entirely of pacifists.

2. The TKD that I took, although taught me the proper way to punch and kick (as opposed to swinging my arms around and doing sloppy rabbit punching), also gave me a false sense of what actual fighting was like.

After HS I didn't do anymore boxing or wrestling and became out of shape (Thanks, College), but presently I'm in better shape than ever and am going to start taking Muay Thai and Judo.
    Last edited by Archetype; 1/12/2010 10:50am at .