Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 11:53pm

Style: Systema & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ppl need to keep in mind that the pain usually gets worse before it gets better.

The pain comes and it feels worse because the spine is being manipulated out of its comfort zone from the original injury. I know i'm probably not even explaining in effectively tho....but i always hear ppl at work when they get injured physically, and wait it out for a week or two, and tell me its better, and that they don't feel the pain.

Not feeling pain doesn't necessarily mean the injury has healed. The body has just adjusted itself to minimize the pain and gotten used to it. So to shock the body again into proper alignment, takes time and some discomfort (pain) to do so. Lotta ppl give up after feeling more pain, thinking the chiro is a witch doctor.

Bad thing is, not all chiros are out to educate and explain things to ppl. So if ppl don't know about this and they get the extra pain, of course they'll think its useless.

And on the topic of treatment plans. Yes, stay away from any chiro that gives u a long term plan that extends past 1-2 months (unless its a real serious injury).

Having said that, I had a big neck injury from a car accident that took over 3 months to heal, and it was like 3 times a week for a month, then tapering down, but it was absolutely necessary, I wasn't able to look to my right at all, and it sucked!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 12:09am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive seen my chiropractor for over 4 months and he manipulated me 3 times a week, THATS a **** load of money right there, and i only felt better until i walked to the end of teh block and for the next 3 days i would have get another stirup, believing that, that was part of the process i went along with it. the PT i am seeing now works for/with the SF giants

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 2:06am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trust my Chiro more than my Physio, and so does my father. Our Chiro tends to do more good in one session than a week's worth of Physio will.

I'll admit there's probably bad Chiros somewhere, but over my way I'd let my Chiro crack my neck until the cows come home.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 2:21am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    I trust my Chiro more than my Physio, and so does my father. Our Chiro tends to do more good in one session than a week's worth of Physio will.

I'll admit there's probably bad Chiros somewhere, but over my way I'd let my Chiro crack my neck until the cows come home.
    yea, i guess it was cuz that one chiro i chose sucked..

does anybody's chiro have you sit and hes sitting behind you and hes puts his hands around the base of y our head and sorta twists the hand in a up down position to read your body to see if theres any problems? mine does that after every session, and i dont know what the hell it is....

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 4:13am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The data do seem to suggest that chiropractic has a certain degree of usefulness for some complaints, such as low-back pain. This is rather ironic, since its philosophical foundations are pure quackery, based on vitalist notions that have long since been discarded by intelligent people, and many chiropractors subscribe to ideas that seem rather suspect:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Sociologist Leslie Biggs interviewed 600 Canadian DCs in 1997: while 86% felt that chiropractic methods needed to be validated, 74% did not believe that controlled clinical trials were the best way to evaluate chiropractic. Moreover, 68% believed that "most diseases are caused by spinal malalignment", although only 30% agreed that "subluxation was the cause of many diseases".
    Note that 14% don't believe that their practices need to be validated, and 30% of chiropractors interviewed believed that subluxations -- not viruses, or bacteria, or parasites -- were the cause of "many diseases".
    Traditional Straight chiropractors are the oldest movement. They adhere to the philosophical principles set forth by DD and BJ Palmer; that vertebral subluxation leads to interference of the human nervous system and is a primary underlying risk factor for almost any disease. Straights adhere to the chiropractic diagnosis of subluxations, and view the medical diagnosis of patient complaints (which they consider to be the "secondary effects" of subluxations) to be unnecessary for treatment.
    [emphasis added]

Despite the above, many chiropractors are, in fact, sane, but caveat emptor. Read more about it, and about the different schools of thought within chiropractic, here.

On a side note, I have seen a chiropractor and it did help relieve some of the pain in my lower back; I may go back at some point. I am inclined to think this is not merely placebo effect, but then, I expect that's what anyone profiting from placebo effect would say. I consider it anecdotal evidence; no more, no less. The particular chiropractor I saw also had some physiotherapy-style practices, prescribed me strengthening exercises for the muscles in my lumbar region (that I really ought to go back to actually doing), and got me orthotic inserts. If she'd expressed a belief that cracking my back would magically solve all my problems, I'd probably have left before the first appointment was over.

My general conclusion is that chiropractic does seem to help relieve some pain, but that many chiropractors are delusional or unethical quacks (even if they may, by luck, do some good), and even in my own very limited experience, they seem to downplay the dangers that are associated with treatment in ways that normal medical providers never would (and never should).

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 9:03am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was very skeptical of chiros until I messed my neck really bad. I got a few recommendations of who to go from some MMAers and BJJers, but finally I got one by myself. I've been happily using their services for months now.

I've regained most of my neck mobility and they have improved my back health. Also, they assisted me with inflamation on one of my wrists using cold laser therapy. My g/f also uses the services of another chiro recommended to her, which helped her get rid of neck and back pain.

If I were you, I would not walk into a chiro's office just like that. You must do your research. Go only to one that's being recommended by someone you know well, or by a sports practitioner (or better yet, a fellow martial artist.)

A good chiro will do, at the least, get an X-ray to make sure he can manipulate your neck safely. There are situations where he cannot do so and must sent you to a neurologist or a doctor specialized in neck/spine injuries. Not every spine can be aligned.

Before you go to the chiro, however, get the services of a deep massage therapist, and ask him/her to work on your neck, traps and romboid muscles. A neck injury is not just about disk misalignment, but on painful muscle contractions, weakening and shortening (which eventually pulls your neck unnaturally.)

Get her to work on those areas (is going to hurt like a ************) for several sessions, and then go to the chiro. It makes it easier for them to manipulate your neck (plus is more cost effective.)

DO YOUR RESEARCH IN FINDING A GOOD (RECOMMENDED) CHIRO!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 10:47am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My vote is for a physiotherapist, based on my personal experience. The main difference with respect to the "back cracking" is that a PT mobilizes a joint, while a Chiro manipulates a joint. The PT approach is somewhat gentler.

The same thing goes for PT's... you have to find a good one. The good thing for PT's is that a bad PT will probably not make the problem worse.

The advice I received (from PT's) was that if you want to go to a Chiro, their treatment is best suited to an acute injury, especially if you are already generally fit. For chronic problems, or for sick, or elderly, a PT or RMT might be a better choice.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that a good chiro can help for most people, but it can also cause injury. I've had a mix of seeing massage therapist, chrios, physical therapist, and regular doctors for my neck/back injuries. Here's what I've found through personal experience:

-I once had a pinched nerve in my upper back on the right side between my scapula. I tried stretching, ice, and anti-inflamitory but was not getting the results I wanted. Went to my chrio and had him take some x-rays. My back was all misaligned and a couple of adjustments seemed to clear up the problem

-Simalar case with a rib hurting right by the sternum. Had an adjustment done and felt great the next day.

-Tore the muscles in my back, at first I tried getting a massage (my back was spasaming too much for them to really do anything) so I tried the chiro. Having him trying to twist and manipulate me just hurt like hell I I think agrivated the injury. After having no relief I went to a Dr then pt for a month to recover.

-Had constant pain in my neck from a neck crank/RNC. Had the chrio re-adjust ( I swaer to god I have never heard a more disturbing sound then my neck poping that loudly). Was sore that day but felt great afterwards.

I feel if your injury seems to be a spinal/ neck issue, chiro might be the way to go. Make sure you go to a good one! If it's a muscluar injury, you may want to consider massage or PT if it is really bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 4:16pm

Style: brazilian wax job ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you apply the same degree of scepticism and use the same tools of investigation that are regularly applied to the martial arts on this board, you will quickly come to the conclusion that chiropractic consists of 99% quack medicine and 1% half-assed massage.

Want to know more? Start here: http://www.chirobase.org/index.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 5:36pm

Style: Wing Chun; Modern Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdog
    If you apply the same degree of scepticism and use the same tools of investigation that are regularly applied to the martial arts on this board, you will quickly come to the conclusion that chiropractic consists of 99% quack medicine and 1% half-assed massage.

Want to know more? Start here: http://www.chirobase.org/index.html
    Have you even read that site? It's saying the same thing as everyone else in this thread has said; chiropractic is valid for correcting biomechanical malalignments. No-one so far has claimed it is a panacea, but stated that it is effective when applied as a form of physical therapy.

You grouchy from seeing a bad chiropractor or something?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast