Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:13am

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rear leg MT kick question....

Hello Team Bullshido,

Let's say that you are doing a typical rear leg kick; the front leg needs to step @ 45 degrees and you need to rotate on this front leg so that the foot ends up being parallel to the person that you are kicking. I know this.
    Now my question is thus, due to serious injury coupled with lack of flexibility; I am unable to rotate my front foot (it stresses out my knee way too much and causes massive pain) - I will most certainly get an operation in the future (a few years) but I need to deal with this issue here and now.
    I can rotate my body somewhat and generate a decent amt of pwr but my front foot does not rotate; is this a valid type of kick or am I wasting my time?

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:56am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not really sure what kind of answer you're looking for here... Yes, you are just waisting your time since you're practicing how to kick incorrectly.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can just step out your front foot so that it is already angled, and you dont have to twist. god knows why this is putting stress on your knee unless you are actually trying to twist your entire foot and are not coming up on the toes/ball of your foot. stepping out and not twisting is what bas rutten does, works ok for him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    you can just step out your front foot so that it is already angled, and you dont have to twist. god knows why this is putting stress on your knee unless you are actually trying to twist your entire foot and are not coming up on the toes/ball of your foot. stepping out and not twisting is what bas rutten does, works ok for him.

Now this is something I can start to utilize, I tried it a bit, it's still a bit on the painful side but it's better.
    My knee is worn down, it's bone on bone contact - my Doc. was like wtf when he saw some xray's - I was in there about my right knee and he noticed my left.
    I have a slight deformity (really hard to notice) it's more internal, it puts a lot of stress on the interior portion of my knees, they are very worn; I can no longer even jog or jumprope without painkillers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Blackshadow
    I'm not really sure what kind of answer you're looking for here... Yes, you are just waisting your time since you're practicing how to kick incorrectly.

I was hoping that the incorrect kick I was doing was somehow another type of valid rear leg kick?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if your leg is that fucked you might want to do something that doesnt involve kicking

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 10:40pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking along those lines. Kicking correctly there shouldn't be any twisting pressure on the knees. All the pressure should just be downward into the ground. If your knee is busted to the point where that is an issue, you should probably focus more on repair/rehab and healing before you worry about developing new kicks.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 1:31am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    if your leg is that fucked you might want to do something that doesnt involve kicking
    Yeah, sounds like good advice to me. Might want to avoid fighting in general if you can't even run or jump rope. Why are you waiting several years to get the operation if you have (what sounds like) such a serious condition?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 2:23pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are different ways to approach this problem. On the one hand, if you have that much joint damage, it may be best if you did worry about your kicking right now and focus on other things that don't aggravate the problem, like boxing.

You could also use that Bas Rutten style kick that Alex describes. It's "similar" to a Thai kick, but the mechanics may be different enough to take the pressure off or your knee. Its like a Kyokushin style kick, you step out at the angle and plant the foot, then thrust through the target with your hip and leg. Many of the Dutch-style MuayThai gyms kick this way....

You can also change the angle of the kick. Rather than rotating the kick over, you can kick at an upwards angle, kinda like you're punting a football. You only rotate a little bit as the kick travels at an upwards trajectory (you kinda kick on an upwards diagonal through the target). Mind you, this kind of kick is limited in its use as well, but at least you will still have a rear legged round kick you can work with.

You can also just use a rear legged Push Kick instead! Its another kick that requires little rotation, and to be quite honest, the Push Kick is the least appreciated technique in MuayThai. So few people train to any real proficiency with this kick. A fighter with a good Push Kick is hard to beat!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 11:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perfect guys, I truly appreciate this info.
    With regard to the knees, I am not trying to act uber tough; after my first operation I was 204lbs (5'8"). I was really into bodybuilding and was too dumb to realize that there was a lot more to combative strength. Rehab was very hard, my PT peeps had me doing a lot of off-balance type exercises which was totally new.
    My workouts now are mostly high intensity light-weight body weight type stuff and I feel great. My weight is down to 179; my goal is about 160lbs then surgery.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast