Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 8:42pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Daggorhar? Gwuh?

I was at work today, and one of my coworkers asked me if i'd be interested in some sort of 'Viking Martial Arts group' (note, i'm paraphrasing as I don't remember the exact way he worded it) called Daggorhar.

The way he described it was people essentially fighting Viking style with weapons and armor and mettings and whatnot. Occasionally they do things at Ren. Fairs too.

Well, i'm always interested in checking out something new, but I was wondering if this would be an actual martial arts thing, or some enjoyable LARP (s'long as I don't expect to gain any cool new moves to use in an actual Martial Arts environment, I don't see why I can't enjoy it) or if it might even be like the various Western Martial arts recreation societies.

Aaaaanyway, as my google-fu is rather weak and pathetic (much like myself) I thought i'd turn the question over to the fine fellas at Bullshido.net

As a side note, when I DID look it up, the google engine corrected my spelling to Dagorhir...was I given the wrong spelling and this is actually what he's trying to get me to join? http://lek.net/~sam/history.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 9:49pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :viking: Yes that is what your friend was talking about.....it is complete larping, but if you know that then there's probably no harm in doing it.

The rule set sucks (I've done it before) no head shots allowed, and the weapons you fight with are totally unrealistic in weight and feel.

Good luck.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 9:54pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a fun game but if I ever heard anyone call it a "martial art", let alone trying to legitimize it as a "viking martial art" I'd smack them very hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    It's a fun game but if I ever heard anyone call it a "martial art", let alone trying to legitimize it as a "viking martial art" I'd smack them very hard.

Lol...exactly.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 11:01am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, it's kind of the SCA with a Scandinavian theme? Why, that's even dorkier.

For the real thing; http://vikingfighting.com/

Sorry....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 5:16pm

Style: Kempo/Kickboxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So how exactly do they show respect? Do they run into each other wearing horned helmets and yell "ODIN!" at the top of their lungs before fighting? Can they honestly call this a form of self defense and leave their pillaging arts out of it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 5:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearFist
    So how exactly do they show respect? Do they run into each other wearing horned helmets and yell "ODIN!" at the top of their lungs before fighting? Can they honestly call this a form of self defense and leave their pillaging arts out of it?

I don't think anyone I know who does it conciders it self-defense of any kind. They concider themselves med-evil live action role players....along the same lines as Dungens & Dragons gamers, except without the potato chips/doritoes. :5opera:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 8:35pm

Style: Ju d'oh!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh. Well, thanks for clearing all that up guys and gals.

Might still check it out just to see if it's at least entertaining and somewhat as a favor to this friend...After all, I should at least make sure I misunderstood his assertions and that he doesn't consider it martial arts.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definite LARP, especially if it's Ren Fair. But it could be fun even if it's not martial arts. If they DO insist it's a realistic and applicable art, then you've got a problem. At that point, you might want to get some crusaders.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache