1/01/2008 8:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=FUNKtastic]
    Quote Originally Posted by quietamerican
    I can't remember seeing anyone there who looked Brazilian. quote]\

What do you mean when you say "looked Brazilian"? The country runs the gambit with about whites, mestizos, blacks, and asians. If memory serves, whites are nearly 50% of the population.
    Sorry. What I mean by "nobody looked Brazilian" is everyone I talked with spoke English with an American accent, and appeared to be Caucasian.

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 9:20am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Barstool do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup... I might have mentioned im a complete smartass sometimes and shouldnt always be taken too literally... i.e. 'Brazilians are restless' His class that I watched were mostly Mexican nationals and one white guy. My point here was the guy was/is a complete douchebag when I talked to him a few years ago, but since your experience was a positive one, maybe he has gotten himself in check with his 'xenophobic id'...... I dunno. He did claim, however that he was cert. instructor of JKD and claimed to have recieved his schooling from Inosanto... and that he does background checks on people.. which is kinda creepy.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KweiKweg
    Surly= hostile and or unfriendly
    How convenient and cowardly of you to explain what 'surly' is (as if we were so fucking stupid not to know) instead of explaining what is at the crux of the matter:

non-english speaking glare
    THAT IS WHAT PEOPLE ARE ASKING ABOUT. THEY ARE NOT ASKING WTF IS 'SURLY'.

The fact you chose to explain 'surly' while ignoring the rest is most telling.

What's the **** is a surly, non-english speaking glare? Glaring is the act of staring angrily. Staring involves use of vision, which is independent of language.

So, how the **** does the act of looking at someone in a hostile manner end up being described with speech-related adjectives such as english-speaking or non-english speaking?

How do I glare someone in English? ****, Spanish is my mother language, and I don't know how to glare in Spanish. Maybe I'm missing something when it comes to human non-verbal communication. Maybe my g/f has been glaring at me in Japanese everytime I forget to dump the garbage, I dunno.

In the meantime, I'm trying to find a way to violently glare at this stupid thread in English, but I have no clue how to do so.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 1/01/2008 10:20am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 10:45am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well if you read the rest of the thread instead of concentrating on the non-english speaking part, youd find that I mentioned the class was comprised of mostly latin nationals.. no big deal, and probably not worth mentioning for you sensitive types. This being the other part of my point, the instructor was so fixated on things were of no importance or use in a MA environment, and here on the site is another post by someone else with a similar experience with that guy. If you have a sense of humor, it would be easy for you to see.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 11:27am

Style: MT\KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's kind of suspicious, you know. Since your and the other guy's experiences were so vastly different than each other, it kind of soudns like you're trying to, I dunno, ruin his Lavato's reputation or something? Especially with everything focusing on race and such, and that "Non English speaking look".

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 11:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :englishmo :jerk: :confused1 Umm.. NO, I dont know. This whole thread was after seeing someone elses negative post about this guy. I was more interested in knowing if others had more experiences similar to this, as Bullshido.net is aimed at uncovering douchbaggery/imposters in the Martial arts. Another guy here mentioned that Lovato yelled at him about not training ::explatives:: if anyone else here has seen that post, help me out here with navigating to it. I could give a **** less about someones nationality, or the language that they speak. I thought it was funny that these guys probably didnt even know what Mr. Lovato was talking about since THEY (the nationals) did 'no habla'. Sounds to me as though others are a touch on the political correct side of things with a dash of asshole on top. It sounds as though that those mentioned people should probably go train with Mr. Lovato, they seem to have alot in common. As for me, I could give a **** less about them or him. It was simply a true experience with an already discussed subject . If it makes you feel any better, I really am eating a homemade batch of tamales my friends mom made for me, and in real time. Ill have to tell her about this...
    Last edited by KweiKweg; 1/01/2008 11:43am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never heard anything about either Lavato being racist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 12:01pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was in Tulsa on business I drove two hours to do a private lesson with Raphael Lovato. My impression of him was he was an extremely cool nice guy.

When I got there I found out that he had been injured earlier in the week and he had one of his top students stay after class to roll with me. He then watched and stopped us when I would make a mistake and correct me on it. He stayed an extra half hour after the private and helped me work on things.

Because he was injured and felt bad about me driving that far he took me and the other student out to dinner afterwards, his treat.

Since then I've ran into him 3 times (twice at tournaments and once at ADCC) and he's been extremely nice each time.

This thread seems very suspect to me.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 12:08pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup... I might have mentioned im a complete smartass sometimes and shouldnt always be taken too literally... i.e. 'Brazilians are restless' His class that I watched were mostly Mexican nationals and one white guy. My point here was the guy was/is a complete douchebag when I talked to him a few years ago, but since your experience was a positive one, maybe he has gotten himself in check with his 'xenophobic id'...... I dunno. He did claim, however that he was cert. instructor of JKD and claimed to have recieved his schooling from Inosanto... and that he does background checks on people.. which is kinda creepy.

Since nobody else has said it I'll say it. Dude you sound like a biggot. In this day and age why wouldn't an instructor do a background check. Did you not read some of the history leading up to 9/11?

Posted On:
    1/01/2008 12:15pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kweikweg after listening to the others, it sounds like you pissed of a nice guy! maybe the next time somebody ask you if you're a skinhead you should just say no.............. unless of coarse you are!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast