Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 1:33am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc
    YES, I agree, let's just drop that. You might note that I had actually edited out that point from my post above. It is irrelevant to any of this

I don't think this thread has anything directly to do with me. It has to do with Gus. We asked him directly for over a year regarding "10 black belts" and he refused to answer. Compare that to how I just answered your inquiry.

When I met Gus in 1990ish (can not honestly remember if it was late 90 or early 91) he NEVER mentioned any full contact fighting in any tournament of any sort. I then spent the next 10 years or so in contact with him while we trained with CTS. So the obvious question is what "full contact" titles he won?

We all have "histories" Steve.....
    I agree, we do all have histories. Some would say our troubled history led to my critique of you here...making my comments suspect. That is fine. I can be written off. I am OK with that.

But, as I see it, this thread does have to do with you in part as you are the one who laid out the accusations against Gus...and in my mind your accusations may be suspect because of histories. Look at most investigation threads here...people look into who is making the accusation and why. Many investigations go south becasue of who laid out the BS claim.

Regarding Gus, I will certainly read all that stuff during the holidays...

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 1:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, in fairness, Gus should be invited to comment here...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 1:44am

Style: sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This "drama" has been going on for 2 years on the kung fu forum (links I already provided). He was asked direct questions on there and ducked all of them. It was suggested I put this here since it is what the forum is "about". But perhaps I am wrong? I don't post here much. So if this is not appropriate for here someone let me know

My "interest" is pretty evident, same teacher, his "mischaracterizations" reflect upon my teacher. As comparison, if someone was saying Alex's Combat Sambo involved hopping on one leg while making chicken sounds and invovled chi blasts I'm sure you'd want to set the record straight

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 1:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS: to avoid any confusion, on the kung fu forum I am also "LKFMDC"

"Chan Siu Lum" is a person named Anthony Tardy
    "Lama Pai Sifu" is a person named Mike Parrella

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 1:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand your motivations. You are also in the right forum (I think).

So, e-mail Gus, and tell him about this thread. Post a copy of the e-mail here for all to see. Let Gus speak or hide for himself. Maybe he will duck the questions, but if he does, it only helps your cause. But, here on BS, it is all about the proof, not the hearsay.

And, to answer your other questions....no, being a junior title does not make it illigitimate, but you should post it accurately on your bio...like you want Gus to do. Your lack of clarity is what makes you bio suspect, not the actual title itself.

And, you did not answer my question about sambo in your bio. All you said was that you learned soem stuff from Tripp - which I already had stated in my post. I know your did a seminar or two with Tripp. But, how often did you train in person with him...and is it enough to say you studied sambo in your bio? If it is just a few seminars, you are as huilty as Gus in that case. A few seminars does not mean you studied sambo.

Your bio is unclear and can be misunderstood (in your favor). They are not out right lies as you claim Gus has done, but they are ambiguous at best - lies of omission if you will. You list arts, but not your experience (or lack of experience) in the arts. If you trained one year with Clemente in BJJ, you should say it. If you did several years of judo, you should say it and with whom. Otherwise people will assume you are accomplished in all the styles you list. Just my advice. Because now you are attacking one man's bio, when your own is suspect.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 2:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dvaid, I have sent an e-mail to Gus inviting him to comment here. Here is what I sent him:

Dear Sifu Gus,

My name is Stephen Koepfer. I am a member of Bullshido.com. I just want to say that I do not represent Bullshido in any way, nor do I represent David Ross.

I am simply extending an invitation for you to comment on a thread David Ross started on Bullshido.com regarding your credentials.

On Bullshido it is common practice to have people speak for themselves and comment on what is being elleged against them.

The thread is here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64119

Please do come and comment if you feel compelled. I am sure other viewers of the thread would appreciate your perspectives on this discussion.

Sincerely,

Steve
    It was not an e-mail, but a comment form on his website. This is the text I sent him.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 3:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dave, I read the thread you linked. It is quite a train wreck. But, it is mostly confusing he said/she said flame war kind of stuff. All word of mouth. I do agree that Gus made comments on the forums that contradict his website claims. But, I think if this thread is to gain any speed here, there needs to be more proof besides what people say in pride fueled forum wars.

Gus needs to post certs, phots, documents something to prove his case. BUT, you guys need to have some sort of proof as well. Statements from folks he claims to have trained with, anything documented is good. It all comes down to evidence. The fact that you guys who were with Sifu Chan back in the day says something, but to the average reader it does not mean much and it is still one guy's word against another.

However, If I were Gus, I would want to prove what I have stated on my site just for my own rep. He also may feel it is not worth proving himself to you guys. But, like any accusation, you need solid proof of what you are saying. Is there any proof that Gus does not have ranks in the styles he claims?

If he has any certs or documents, he could easily scan them and post them here. As could you or the other KF guys.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 3:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, Dave, you were fairly silent in the thread you linked but someone posted your comments from a deleted thread:

Originally Posted by lkfmdc
    Lord knows, Gus and I are not getting along, but come on! Gus has been known to make up a tall tale now and then, but he WAS a direct student of Chan Tai San and DID spend a lot of time learning stuff directly from him. Gus had talent, we all give him that nod

When you were in Mineola, despite your "sifu" status under Alan Lee, you had trouble walking through the basic stuff. Suddenly, after you left, you were suddenly BETTER than Gus?

2. Talk about revision! You went with Gus because you thought Gus had more to offer you than Mike. Now you're re-writing history. I thought for a minute you were actually Gus, messing with us, but now I see you are indeed who you say, but apparently you got an ax to grind with Gus!
    In this post you seem to be defending Gus.

This thread from october of this year describes how you and Gus were to fight a challenge match - that went south (as most internet matches do). Are'nt you tired of these chjallenge match threads David? What happened to your physical issues resulting from the taxi accident? I thought you were not able to fight anymore. At least that is what you were saying on the UG forums when confronted with possible fights.
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ht=Gus+Kaparos

Why the change of heart with Gus?
    Last edited by sambosteve; 12/23/2007 3:27am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 10:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Wow Steve, you went out of your way to let Gus Kaparos know about this thread. Yet, as I seem to recall, when a friend of yours tried to trash me on here in the past (actually how I ended up here with an account) you didn't feel the need to let me know then huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve

Also, Dave, you were fairly silent in the thread you linked but someone posted your comments from a deleted thread:

In this post you seem to be defending Gus.
    2. I call them as I see them. Anthony Tardy was talking trash and telling lies. So in that case, I defended Gus. I would imagine that would show I don't just "grind axes" for no reason. I'm interested in the truth about my teacher. When that "truth" exonnerates Gus, I am for that as much as I am when the truth condems him

3. If you actually read that thread you'll notice that (1) in a thread that had nothing to do with me and (2) in which I wasn't even posting, Gus went out of his way to talk trash to me and challenge me. I don't go looking for problems, but if he's gonna talk trash to me I'm not going to ignore it

I didn't get into that because to 99% of the people it wold seem like a personal issue and just plain stupid

But since you bring it up, to date Gus has challenged
    1. Me
    2. Mike Parrella
    3. Dale Frank (a BJJ black belt and "dog brother")
    4. Anthony Tardy
    5. A sifu of Buk Sing CLF in Australia
    6. A sifu of praying mantis in Canada

All with the same basic result, ie no fight, thoug in my case, he challenged me on a Sunday night and by Monday he had a lawyer not only threaten me with a restraining order, he also was threatenign to sue that forum. I scanned the emails about that and put them up

http://a602.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...302459c371.jpg

one example of those

But those documents prove he is a coward, not a liar. I'm only interested in the liar part

As you noted, it would seem like Gus would want to prove his claims, not run away from disucssing them

When you asked my about my bio, I answered you.

In Gus' case he doesn't even say what 10 arts he claims to hold black belts in.....
    Last edited by nysanda; 12/23/2007 10:17am at .

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/23/2007 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Wow Steve, you went out of your way to let Gus Kaparos know about this thread. Yet, as I seem to recall, when a friend of yours tried to trash me on here in the past (actually how I ended up here with an account) you didn't feel the need to let me know then huh?
    That was then, this is now. I had been on BS much less back then and am a bit more savvy as to the way things are done around here. Serious investigations here and generally done very well and try to cover all bases. Of course there is a lot of trash talk here as well as with all forums. Take my posts in this thread for what they are worth. They are simply my advice and comments based on my experience here and with you in the past.

I told you I would read the stuff and I did. I even looked a little deeper into it. That is how I found that challenge thread with you and Gus. The fact that I e-mailed Gus is only fair (to both of you) and regardless of what I did back then in regards to a thread about you (and how you know I feel about you and your lack of credibility still), you should appreciate the fact that I am approaching this thread with an open mind and actually doing things on the up and up. I could have started blasting you with the typical stuff...as usually happens on the other forums.

The fact that I e-mailed Gus will only help you (and this thread) out if he chooses to ignore the e-mail. It may help him out if he chooses to come and answer honestly. And, if you are not appreciative of my looking into possible motivations that might be involved in your posting a thread about Gus, then that is just unfortunate. But, that information only adds info to this discussion. If it were not me, it would most likely be some other active member or moderator who takes the time to seriously look into your accusations.

When you asked my about my bio, I answered you.
    For the most part you did (unlike Gus). Thank you. But, in regards to sambo, you did not. I will post my follow-up question again:

Originally Posted by sambosteve
    And, you did not answer my question about sambo in your bio. All you said was that you learned soem stuff from Tripp - which I already had stated in my post. I know your did a seminar or two with Tripp. But, how often did you train in person with him...and is it enough to say you studied sambo in your bio? If it is just a few seminars, you are as guilty as Gus in that case. A few seminars does not mean you studied sambo.
    Are you qualified to state, as you do in your bio, that you studied sambo?

Regarding Gus and the challenge. Thanks for answering that question. Now we know more of the history leading up to this thread - at least your perspective of it. And, you are correct, backing out of a challenge does not prove anything about his credentials. It only offers insight to the folks here about your history with Gus...which is important as you launched a thread about him.
    Last edited by sambosteve; 12/23/2007 1:18pm at .
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast