I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Christopher Hein's Central Valley Aikido

Before I start, I'd just like to say that I think that Aikido sucks. I think that Aikido is full of bullshit and hippies and girls that want to get raped. I think Aikido sucks and I will still say, “Aikido sucks.” whenever someone tries to bring it up to me. And yes I am wearing my ballet tights again. I think that Aikido is worse to learn than say... oh... wing chun. But I was pleasantly surprised with my experience here. All of my experience with Aikido has turned out to be horrible. Black belts in Aikido have been taken down by my limited abilities in Brazilian Jiujitsu and Judo and my heavy experience in Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai and Boxing in the past.

Hein's school is a good step in the right direction for Aikido. He does train with a good amount of resistance. Actually they train with full resistance. I don't know how long his students have been with him, but I was using ONLY the BJJ and Judo I knew tonight, which amounts up to about 6ish months. I can only assume they have been doing the same in their Aikido for just as long. He can correct me if I'm wrong. Barring natural skill and athleticism, I think it was a fairly decent playing field. It is not a succession of one step sparring and so forth. The curriculum for AIKIDO is good. There is resistance, there is sort of a randori-esque thing going on and is what AIKIDO should be. It really wasn't what I was expecting at all. From my personal experience, I think that a moderately skilled striker in just about any striking art would probably overtake the students in a time invested vs. time invested situation. However, I think that your average joe schmoe who's never been in a fight (like 80% of the population) could probably be handled decently well.

My personal opinion is this, I think that people do martial arts for 3 reasons. Either they are doing it to, learn the culture, preserve the art or role play. Because let's face it people, hand to hand self-defense is dead. You want to practice self-defense? Get a gun and a knife and go learn how to use them. I think that Hein is attempting to preserve the essence of the Art and bring back the Martial part of Aikido without straying too far from its core curriculum, hence the no grappling or striking really. To put it into perspective, he is trying to turn a Honda Civic DX into a Honda Civic Type R by modifying it with OEM Honda Parts. It's not super high performance, but it can go some. It has the pedigree of a high-performance car and it won't ever come close, but it'll still put up a decent fight.

Overall, my biggest complaints were the no striking or grappling. But that is MY preference. Will I ever seriously study Aikido? No. Never. I think it's rubbish for the most part. I don't think I could really gain anything from it ever. But I am also spoiled, I've trained with some of the best and have had a lot of guidance and wisdom that has gotten me further than normal people. Will anybody gain anything from it? Maybe. Most of us are fascinated with the philosophy and ideals of fighting. The people who Aikido are not career martial artists. They are doing it to either observe the culture or they're larping. The teachers and those who are taking it further are doing it to preserve the art. These students, I don't think I could ever convince to spar medium contact MMA or do sub-grappling rules or kickboxing. But I think after tonight, they probably don't have any delusions about what they can and cannot do. They understand, as Hein does, that it's not all inclusive. Does that make them Bullshido? I don't know. If this were mythbusters, I'd said plausible. Hein has a lot of training in a lot of arts, and I'm sure is a very capable fighter.

Now onto the videos. First video here is them doing their knife retention randori. It was a resistance exercise, keeping everything standing and I didn't know that hence the “No tackling” comment. A while ago I don't remember if I heard it or read it, but I think it was Omega (don't quote me on this, I could be wrong) who said something to the effect of the fulcrum point of aikido is all wrong. So during this video, if you'll notice. I break the fulcrum point of the wrist and just go body lock with him. Note that he has a lot of trouble keeping me from holding him and controlling him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhVuWaqG8jM

In this video, if you'll notice, the knife retention randori gets more resistance and we are able to take down and do pretty much whatever. I tried to only use the things I've learned from BJJ and Judo and see how they faired. Take note of a few things. First off, I JUST FUCKING USED BJJ TO FEND OFF A KNIFE WIELDER AND I DIDN'T FUCKING GET STABBED! Because OMG, I learned how to control limbs and ****. I actually have never grappled someone who was trying to stab me, so I effectively just went ahead and modified technique on the fly to better position myself to not get stabbed or cut. You guys are probably better at spotting it than me, but it seemed pretty natural for me to do what I was doing. Controlling the hand and arm, while keeping my legs and stuff out of the way, get this, stopped me from getting stabbed. Wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbdQRIgydaU

There's a third video, but it's not really worth watching. I'll upload it anyway and you can make whatever judgments you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 6:35pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great!
    Thanks for coming, it was really fun having you, and you opened my eyes to lots of stuff I need to work on with my guys!

Please come back sometime, maybe I can convince you that SOME Aikido isn't rubbish!

Christopher Hein
    www.centralvalleyaikido.com

One more thing, There are two instructors at Central Valley Aikido. Myself and Michael Varin, I'm just the loud mouth out of the two of us. But we are equal partners in this venture.
    Last edited by ChristopherHein; 12/21/2007 7:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 3:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like if you were going to do a review you would have a semi open mind about it. What is the point if you think it sucks so bad already?

I assumed the reviews would not only discuss the schools performance but also how they covered the curriculum of the art which it seems like you can not attest to....

How do you know they were even teaching Aikido?

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, they were training with some token degree of aliveness, so that they weren't training Aikido was a given.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 5:02pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Christopher,
    I appreciate you coming at this with an open mind, and letting little Sirc come play at your school. I've seen enough video of aikido demos that have compliant attackers, do you have any video of you guys, or any other aikido guys, working aikido techniques with resistance? Full speed?

Thanks,
    Piz Doff
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 8:22pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3nh1eVjjM name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf3nh1eVjjM type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

If you check our youtube page you'll see more of what we do.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ChuShinTani

There are VERY few Aikido schools exploring resistance. Ours is still very far from my ideal vision, but it's comming along.

-Christopher Hein
    www.centralvalleyaikido.com

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    12/31/2007 4:36am

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beachfront71
    Seems like if you were going to do a review you would have a semi open mind about it. What is the point if you think it sucks so bad already?

I assumed the reviews would not only discuss the schools performance but also how they covered the curriculum of the art which it seems like you can not attest to....

How do you know they were even teaching Aikido?

Having an open mind is retarded. I had preconceived notions that I want to confirm if they were true or false. This isn't science, this is opinion.