Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 6:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think i'll be going no glasses unless my eyesight gets a lot worse. It's been worsening every year but not a drastic amount. Thanks again for the help.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 6:57am

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you could go into grappling, hardly even need your eyes open then.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 7:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe eventually. Right now i'm just looking into stand up stuff.

MMA Instructor

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 7:17am

Style: Earth Dragon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should train the way you plan on fighting. You can fight without glasses but you're going to have to get used to it.

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 8:54am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm short sighted to the point of being unable to read this screen if I take my glasses off, but it doesn't affect sparring at all, like Tanhalen says you don't need to see the details of the fist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 10:47am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Reindeer
    I'm short sighted to the point of being unable to read this screen if I take my glasses off, but it doesn't affect sparring at all, like Tanhalen says you don't need to see the details of the fist.
    Your eyesight is about as bad as mine. If I take my glasses off, I can't read what is on my screen (I sit about 1.5 ft from my monitor and it's blurry as hell. I can spar fine as I can see my opponent and their techniques, I just don't see certain things very well that's all.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you lose a contact lens during a fight, no one is going to stop the fight to let you put it back in, the best you can hope for is for the ref to break up a clinch and give you a second to reset yourself, sometimes they won't even do that.

i have a g-shooto event from japan where a fighter loses her contact and gets beat down for it. can't imagine what it would be like to have one in and one out and try to fight.

just take the glasses off during training. the only reason i put them back on is to watch the instructor demo a technique, then they come right back off.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 12:09pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe think about laser surgery, if MMA is something you're going to want to be serious about. Otherwise, I agree with a previous poster. You don't need to see that well to see a fist coming at you.

I spar in BJJ all the time without glasses. I don't view sight as that necessary. I think feel and intuition are more important.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 12:56pm

Style: Mo-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do standup with rec specs. They work great if you're wearing headgear but sometimes get knocked off without headgear.

Grappling with rec specs is more trouble than it's worth IMO, because they get knocked off too frequently.

MMA with rec specs probably wouldn't work for the same reason (among other things).
    Last edited by maurice; 12/21/2007 12:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:19pm

Style: Wrestling, bjj, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    i have a g-shooto event from japan where a fighter loses her contact and gets beat down for it. can't imagine what it would be like to have one in and one out and try to fight.
    Its not that bad I personally don't even notice(assuming the contact came out and isn't under my eyelid stabbing me or something) and Im next to blind without them(I can only read the E on the doctors charts because I know its an E a head of time), for grappling it absolutely doesn't matter whether you can see or not, and for striking as long as you can make out where they are, and can see when their hands/feet are coming at you it should be fine, you don't need to see much detail
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast