Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:43pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ranking (belts) in SAMBO

Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve
    Omega, I don't think we have...at least not in any detail.

But, it seems to me that you have always been kind of a hybrid guy..not claiming to be strictly sambo, or strictly fung fu, or strictly this or that. I do recall the videos of your promotions though...were'nt they wearing jackets? You are also not selling sambo ranks long distance...LOL. They are in house promotions...right?

I think it would be a good debate for another thread. But, my thoughts are all in print on the link I posted ;) In a nutshell, I think is someone is going to be ranked in sambo, they have to have competency and training with the jacket...especially sport (non-combat) sambo. I also realize this is simply my opinion.

The part of that old thread that pertains to this one is how Scott's panties got in a bundle just by being questioned about his ranking system.

I don't care if people question me about my ranking. I actually invite people to come watch if they think I give these things out. IMO I like to give rank because it gives my students goals.

Yes as you can see I do have my guys where jackets but they're Judo and Jujitsu gis not Kurkas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5imyhU9PFo

I break it down very simply:

White, Yellow and Green Belt: Sport SAMBO
    Brown Belt: Self-defense SAMBO
    Blackbelt: Combat and Sport Combat SAMBO.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 11:22pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, I thought you guys wore jackets from my memory of the vids. Glad I'm nopt that old yet...

That was they key in my original debate with Sonnon. There had to be some jacket work, not that there should or should not be ranking to track students. I realize kurtki are hard to come by. i don't have a problem with gis. I have in-house rankings as well. But, they are not ubiquitous in the sambo world...and should not be. I believe sambo in general should be free of ranks. The ranks I use are for our club's purposes and only mean as much as the hard work that goes into them (and what people think of me as a coach). That is very different than starting a distance ranking program for sambo and not including any jacket work at all.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 4:44am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't ranking effect what division you enter at tourneys?

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    selfcritical posted: Is this significantly different than Gene Lebell teaching no-gi Judo or Eddie Bravo doing no-gi BJJ?
    No, it is an ongoing debate I suppose. In the end, I always say that it is just my opinion that people who claim rank or knowledge of sambo should have experience with the jacket. Not that they should not have no-jacket experience. I feel the same about judo or BJJ...the jacket is part of the foundation and it seems silly to me to do no-gi judo. But, that is just me. People call what they do whatever they want.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Doesn't ranking effect what division you enter at tourneys?
    Not in sambo tournies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:42pm

Style: *********

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve correct me if I am wrong. But my understanding of the Kurtka was that it was designed to reflect/represent a battlefield soldiers kit. In that almost every soldier in any army wears a BDU jacket in combat and the shoulder holds were supposed to reflect shoulder boards/combat harness/ballistic vest/well you get the idea. The no-kurtka/gi thing was something Retuinskih used to have us do, though he would insist on at least 50% of the work being done with some kind of jacket on as well. There the idea was to put it onto the realm of everyday self-defense. As an average citizen you are not going to encounter a soldier in a combat kit, however 50% of the time you will encounter someone in a long sleeve something or jacket and 50% of the time you won't.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 2:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not in sambo tournies.
    Yes, I wish SAMBO tournies (and realize I haven't competed since 98') did have a breakdown. Speaking of Lenny (from the other thread) he ref'ed a match between me and Dayne DeRose (I believe that's his name). I went for a rolling knee bar, Dayn didn't go down but I had that suckered locked in. Lenny (I'm calling him Lenny because I can never figure out his last name) taps me and tells me I'm not allowed to do that lock while my opponent is standing.

That rule was implemented that day. They also just added that you couldn't do any lock that would twist against the joint. (now go look in the mirror that was the look on my face). Had a great leg lock war with Dayne though but I ended up getting dropped on my head and getting a minor concussion. Ah, the good 'ol days.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it is an ongoing debate I suppose. In the end, I always say that it is just my opinion that people who claim rank or knowledge of sambo should have experience with the jacket. Not that they should not have no-jacket experience. I feel the same about judo or BJJ...the jacket is part of the foundation and it seems silly to me to do no-gi judo.
    So...what would you like to call it...submission wrestling? Cause that didn't seem to really catch on. Everybody wants to claim BJJ or some art that specifically identifies their lineage. I usually tell people I do jujitsu, because they understand what that means and Catch Wrestling is gay and hard to explain to people without getting a funny look "Ya see, pro wrestling used to be real and..."

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 5:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it is an ongoing debate I suppose. In the end, I always say that it is just my opinion that people who claim rank or knowledge of sambo should have experience with the jacket. Not that they should not have no-jacket experience. I feel the same about judo or BJJ...the jacket is part of the foundation and it seems silly to me to do no-gi judo. But, that is just me. People call what they do whatever they want.
    I tend to agree. A significant portion of these styles incorporates gi/jacket based techniques. How are you gaining rank ignorant of that portion of the style?

Calling something, for example, no-gi bjj is fine if that's your root but if you're not wearing gi's the belt ranks are rather superfluous, silly and somewhat disingenuous. At that point its all sub. grappling.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 5:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    I tend to agree. A significant portion of these styles incorporates gi/jacket based techniques. How are you gaining rank ignorant of that portion of the style?

Calling something, for example, no-gi bjj is fine if that's your root but if you're not wearing gi's the belt ranks are rather superfluous, silly and somewhat disingenuous. At that point its all sub. grappling.
    I do sub grappling. Usually tuna fish and sometimes meatball subs. They are very hard to hold onto. Like my penis.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast