Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 8:32pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Corner Barbell Press & Lumberjack Squat

The Corner Barbell Press & Lumberjack Squat are discussed on this page at T-Nation. I really like the look of both exercises and intend to try them at my next weight workout. Have any of you lads an opinion of them?

Thanks in advance.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The lumberjack squat looks like a heavy goblet squat, but this variation seems to allow for heavier loads. I gotta try that one.

I've done the corner barbell press, and it's the ****, specially if you use it as a push press. There are some nautilus machines that allow you to do something similar, but with the barbell, there is no comparison.

One that I like a lot, and usually do before squats or DLs is # (x-walks with bands). That **** activates and hits your gluteus medius and minor like nothing else. Do 2-3 sets of those before squatting and you'll see that, not only your glutes get hit, but that you actually have an easier time to engage them.

The only difference (at least for me) is that I prefer to walk sideways rather than front-and-back. But that's just me :P

Somewhere I read a variation in which you double loop a resistance band below your knees. This activates your hip abductors when you take a wide stance. Then, while holding the band, you do your squats (of course, the weight you'll squat will be slightly less). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning to next time I hit the gym.

I'll post the link to that exercise when I find it.

I need to try #6 (High Pulley Rhomboids Pull). I have weak romboids, and I'm developing a protracted shoulder girlde (specially on my left shoulder). This one (in addition to stretching the internal rotators) should help fix that.

The closest thing I've done to that is a pull-appart with a resistance band : you grab the resistance band with hands close together in front of your chest and you try to pull it appart. It hits the romboids like a mofo.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 12/20/2007 9:19pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 9:30pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Jack, they're both great exercises to do, and if you want you can combine the two into one continuous movement. The only problem with these exercises is the crowd of buttheads who will form around you and ask what you're doing.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, my bad, the exercise I was referring to related to the x-bands walks is the mini-band side steps (also in t-nation):

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:47pm

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried the lumberjack squat for the first time today. Seems like a really good exercise. I just did it as a suplementary lift and did it with light weights to get technique down. I liked the way it imitates loads found in sports more accurately than traditional squats.

I have been doing the corner barbell press for a few months now and I believe it to be the best shoulder exercise. I subluxed my shoudler and had a minor cartliage tear so I struggle to do traditional overhead presses. I have to arch my back very aggressively to avoid tweaking my shoulders and this limits the weight I am able to move. I have yet to experience any sort of pain using corner barbell presses. Again I also like how you have to move the weight through a range of motion often found in contact sports.
    Last edited by Raining_Blood; 12/20/2007 10:50pm at .

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:59pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raining_Blood
    I have yet to experience any sort of pain using corner barbell presses.
    I, too, have a history of shoulder problems (AC joint separation, rotator cuff troubles), which is one of the things that made this exercise sound so promising to me. Thanks for the feedback!
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:15pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Arg, it just had to be THAT page on T-Nation, the one where Christian posts the DUMBEST exercise ever. EVER. I already ranted the hell about it on bb.com I'd post a link but not sure on the bullshido policy on linking to other forums.

If anyone can't figure it out on their own from checking the page, it's #2. See if you can spot the problem.
    Last edited by tyciol; 12/26/2007 10:32pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, the reverse squat looks like a nifty way to train how to "pull" yourself down into a squat rather than just relenting to the weight. I just don't know if I would train it as a very intense movement.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:33pm

Style: Tae Kwon-Do, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NO, it seriously isn't. It's an illusion. There's no pulling at all until you're lat-pulling your entire bodyweight (behind your neck) and even then, only whatever's anchoring your feet counts, so you may as well just stand on one leg and lift that way and save your shoulders. Seeing as how it's intended to be a leg exercise after all.

Even then, reverse squatting is NOT the equivilent of a leg curl. It's more prone to become about hip flexion, moreso than squatting becomes about hip extension even.
    Last edited by tyciol; 12/26/2007 10:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2007 10:39pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, Google 'Tyciol' and see what comes up.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast