Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 6:27pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight Gain

I'm sitting at about 78kg, and want to increase my weight to above 80kg but below 85kg.

My weight training program that I have going is still wrecking my ****, but I don't seem to be gaining much muscle anymore. I've tried eating healthy but I've pretty much been told that if I don't increase my fat and calorie intake I'm not going to be able to make the gains I'm looking for.

So I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now (6 meals a day, as much crap as I can cram into my mouth, lots and lots of protein), and I feel like absolute ****.

Is this supposed to happen? I feel like I've got less energy, I feel bloated and vomity and my abs are disappearing under a sea of fat. I can't wait until I can cut it all again. All I feel like eating right now is fruit and veg and some rice. Eating unhealthy is really hard.

HALP PLZ, IS SPOSDA FEEL LIKE POOP?

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 6:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would you eat in a day? Write down what you're eating and when, you could be eating the right foods at the wrong times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 7:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normal day (before being told to increase)

6:00AM Breakfast: 2 Eggs on toast, bowl of cereal OR Spaghetti on toast, bowl of cereal

10:00AM Morning tea: Tuna sandwich on wholemeal bread

12:30PM Lunch: Ham carrot salad sandwich, 40g protein shake

2:30PM Snack: Some fruit

5:00PM Pre-training snack: Yoghurt OR fruit

8:30PM Dinner: Meat (chicken/steak) and salad, 40g protein shake

Now

6:00AM Breakfast: Meat potato pie, chicken and cheese sausage, chicken wing and 40g protein shake

10:00AM Morning tea: Tuna sandwich on wholemeal bread, coffee 2 sugars

12:30PM Lunch: Meat pie, beef and cheese sausage, 40g protein shake

2:30PM Snack: Some fruit

5:00 Pre-training snack: Yoghurt OR fruit

8:30PM Dinner: Meat (chicken/steak), potato, salad (large servings of all), 40g protein shake

I've been trying to ramp up the amount of food I take in, and also my fat intake. I would've preferred to 'bulk' up without taking in so much fat, but my personal trainer told me that it was necessary if I wanted results fast, plus I'm naturally thin and find it difficult to put on weight. I was about 55kg in high school and the same height i am now (184cm).

Any ideas? I seem to feel ok right now (9:20AM) and am feeling hungry again, but after I eat so much fat I feel like ****.

OH YEH BTW GUISE EDIT

My weight training is your basic split up intro three days, chest back/deadlifts squats core/arms shoulders 3x8 with a lighter set to failure sorta deal.
    Last edited by namaste; 12/20/2007 7:29pm at .

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 7:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of results are you looking for by eating a high fat diet? I'm not even close to being an expert but you are going to have to shift that fat and it wont be easy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 7:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told I couldn't gain more muscle without gaining more fat aswell. Cutting it isn't a problem, it's always been fairly easy for me.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 7:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Euro Kickboxing, ex-TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not even close to being an expert either but it seems pretty obvious to me that the reason you feel like **** is that you're not getting nearly enough carbs. As far as I know the higher fat diets (40% calorie intake from fat), are used for cutting and they are known to sometimes make you feel like you have less energy. You need more carbs, especially before your workout. I'd suggest some complex carbs at your 2:30 snack, and then some sugars + simple carbs + protein after your workout.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahh **** it.

back to the drawing board! nutrition is hard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.bodyforlife.com/nutrition....asp?cmsId=176

www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Not only should you increase your carb intake, but make sure they are carbs that are low to medium on the GI (glycemic index). The index was started in the 70s (I think) to help diabetics understand how to better manage their blood sugar levels. It turns out that it's incredibly helpful for everyone, especially if you are working out and having problems with energy levels.

Foods higher on the GI cause a spike in your blood sugar (you get energy up front, but then it fades off fairly quickly). Foods in the low to medium range provide more prolonged energy that sticks with you longer.

The first link is a brief article that describes GI stuff for fitness purposes. The second link is a long listing of foods and their GI.

Some interesting stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:58pm

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most athletes do not eat enough fat to gain weight but with that said you are eating to much of the wrong types of fats. Your eating mainlytrans fats where you want to be sticking more towards 'essential fats' ie the fats from peanuts, fish, vegetable oils.

You are also eating to much during the main meals and not enough during the snacks. You want your snacks to be almost the same size as your main meals.

Basically get rid of all the crap your eating and replace it with healthy food. Eating healthy and putting on mass are not mutually exclusive. My normal diet is pretty clean with maybe one cheat meal a week and the only thing I change when looking to put on mass is to eat more of what I was already eating and try to get most of the carb intake from grains instead of fruit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 11:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks both of you!

But shouldn't breakfast and my post workout meal be the two biggest of the day?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast