Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 11:00pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL at Yagyu Shingan-Ryu crotch grabbing kamae.

GMW

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 5:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stances in Aikido are not as important as they are in onther systems. Aikido is not as rigid and most moves are done while moving. This is not to say that footwook is not imprtant. It is a cornerstone, but static positions are less important because aikido is all about being in motion.

Other martial arts practice deep static stances to strengthen the legs, I think aikidoka get it naturally from getting up all the time.

Honestly, when is a martial artist in a stationary stance besides when he is waiting for the fight to start?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 5:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Traditonal Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hanmi,Hanmi,Hanmi Its all about hanmi. The words of Saito Senei.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 5:45pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    I love the painfully slow evolution of Aikidoka, over the course of several generations, incrementally moving their hands closer and closer to their head. At this rate by the year 2121 Aikido practioners will have their face almost as well-protected as WTF Tae Kwon Do masters.
    If a sword is coming down on your head, it really doesn't matter if your hands are there to shield you or not.

Kinda like telling people in a gun fight that they need to keep their hands up incase the bullet comes at their face.

Christopher Hein
    www.centralvalleyaikido.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 6:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your heads under the sword when its coming down then your not doing TRADITONAL Aikido, Modern aikido? probably.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 11:08pm

Style: Jabs & Cross Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MixedMetalArms
    Stances in Aikido are not as important as they are in onther systems. Aikido is not as rigid and most moves are done while moving. This is not to say that footwook is not imprtant. It is a cornerstone, but static positions are less important because aikido is all about being in motion.

Other martial arts practice deep static stances to strengthen the legs, I think aikidoka get it naturally from getting up all the time.

Honestly, when is a martial artist in a stationary stance besides when he is waiting for the fight to start?
    Yoshinkan school pretty emphasize kamae (stances). But then, now that I have started Karate.... me think the Shorin-ryu school emphasize kamae even more.

GMW

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherHein
    If a sword is coming down on your head, it really doesn't matter if your hands are there to shield you or not.

Kinda like telling people in a gun fight that they need to keep their hands up incase the bullet comes at their face.

Christopher Hein
    www.centralvalleyaikido.com
    Come on, don't patronize me. I've read history books. I know this was taken during the great Samurai Uprising of the 1980's, when citizens had the intimate, first hand knowledge (and daily need) to address the issue of Is It A Good Idea To Try And Shield My Face When Someone Swings Anything At It. I've read the research papers. I know they arrived at the conclusion that Blocking Is For Fags and then released a controversial followup to the effect of Please Slap Your Dick All About My Face.

Generally when someone tries to hit me with anything, I'll instinctively put my hands up. This is a good idea if your opponent is trying to hit you with:

A) A fist
    B) A stick
    C) A baseball bat
    D) A samurai sword

Or throw:

A) Rocks
    B) Bags of food
    C) A bag full of broken mirror shards to symbolize how pathetic your life's become when you're roleplaying some other guy's fantasy ideal of what samurai wars looked like in the 20th/21st century.
    D) gross bugs

Maybe I'm wrong here. It wouldn't be a good idea to raise your hands if he was trying to stab you in the stomach, for exampole. Or if a guy said "trying to protect your face before I shoot it will just make your life worse somehow" and seemed pretty convincing. There are applications, but since you're practicing a martial art invented in (the 50's??? whatev) to be used in 20XX, I think it's fair to assume you might as well be teaching velociraptor defense because you're in the wrong era hoss :new_icecr
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If that guy didn't cover his head with his arms, I doubt he would have lived through that.

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 2:20am

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude! you should be strung up by you're balls for posting **** like that!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/05/2008 5:47am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To have any idea on aikido and about its foot and body movments. you have to practcice real traditional aikido and really understnad aikiken and aikijo.
    the amount of aikidoka that dont even know what real hanmi is huge never mind Hitoemi.

Chris is correct about moving the body is more imporatnt than trying to block, that is aikido simplfied.
    although he is werong about moving the hands, but you need to understand awase to see why it works.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast