Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:47am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Would you train/spar in Muay Thai with braces?

I did a months worth of Muay Thai at a gym where the guy was heavy on drilling the basics down before any sparring was done. It was his belief that you should have at least six months under your belt of making sure your technique was right before you go try to spar with someone, so obviously with only a month, I never actually sparred.

I haven't started any MT at the new gym I'm at because the trainer prefers a more competitive atmosphere, so you end up with some basic sparring within a week of starting.

As I stated in the headline, I wear braces, and even though i wear a mouthguard during BJJ sparring, the mouthguard doesn't cover the lower teeth. I've been cut something fierce on the lower lips with my braces when somebody has a rear naked in wrong where the arm is on my chin. I've been clocked in the mouth before by an errant elbow. Both times, they left extremely painful mouth sores that festered for a week and a half to almost intolerable levels. This is something I'd like to avoid.

So with that in mind, I thought I'd ask if anybody's ever sparred in MT with braces, and what their experiences are with it, given my particular set of worries. Having never been regularly punched in the head, even lightly, I'm wondering what it's going to feel like.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you not use a double mouthguard:

to cover your lower braces?
    Back in krotty, one of our female juniors had braces and had to wear one.
    They're pretty uncomfortable, but you're not going to be doing ten rounds at a time or anything.

As for getting punched in the head... it's pretty cool. Sometimes it makes you fall over, but mostly it makes you feel alive.:icon_thum

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shock Doctor makes braces specific mouthguards that cover both top and bottom rows. Get yourself one, mold it, and fit it around your teeth/braces. And for the love of God, do not, do not open your mouth when you gas in sparring. That's how you get your tongue/gums/lips sliced, like I did.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just get a good mouth guard that covers both top and bottom. Guy in our class wore one for both Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai and it seemed to keep him from tearing his mouth up.

I recently got one of these and I've been pretty happy with it :

http://www.brainpads.com/
    Last edited by money; 12/20/2007 12:21pm at .
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was rolling with a guy in bjj the other day who had braces, they looked very painfull if someone belly smothered your face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 2:48pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Jadonblade.

Honestly though, I haven't had any problems boxing with braces on - just a matter of having a quality mouth guard that's made for braces (shockdoctor = wonderful). BJJ though...it sucks when someone tries sinking in a rear naked and squeezes against your teeth. It's so painful - I can't imagine how bad that would be with braces.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo1717
    I agree with Jadonblade.

Honestly though, I haven't had any problems boxing with braces on - just a matter of having a quality mouth guard that's made for braces (shockdoctor = wonderful). BJJ though...it sucks when someone tries sinking in a rear naked and squeezes against your teeth. It's so painful - I can't imagine how bad that would be with braces.
    If it hurts too much or you're afraid it'll cause damage, just tap.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 4:00pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Naturally.

I'm just saying it hurts like crazy as is, having, essentially, an extra set of pointy-wiry teeth to push against your teeth doesn't sound like much more of a picnic.

If it is too much trouble nix the braces or the sparring. Either one. Jenna Jameson claims she nixed her braces to start stripping. Who are you to criticize an adult film extraordinaire? Oh wait...

Happy trails, hope it isn't too bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:34pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitparity
    OP
    I have braces, and a new MIAA (Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletics Association) says that I have to wear a double mouthguard while wrestling.

I can vouch for them being surprisingly comfortable. My orthodontist gave me mine, and I can breathe normally and everything.

The only problem you might have is the obvious question of protection. Does the mouthguard actually protect your braces from damage when being punched and kicked in the face?

First I'll give you the hard answer: The only way to find that is through experience. Try it out, and if it hurts like a mother, try something else. Unpleasant? Unfortunately yes. Effective? Absolutely.

I don't train striking, so my other answer is incomplete: It shouldn't be too bad. The thing with mouthguards w/ braces is that you involuntarily bite down. That's a very good thing. It relieves pain, and tightens your jaw. As far as the effect on the impact on your mouth, I'd say that it would vary. Shortly after getting your braces adjusted, it will hurt like Hell. Give your braces some time to cool down, you should be fine, until you get them re-adjusted.

I'd have to say that the unfortunate answer is that you have to see for yourself. Ask your orthodonist, too; I'm sure he's worked with kids who've done boxing.

Oh, and in case you missed it: I'm talking about DOUBLE-SIDED MOUTHGUARDS, as shown above. Get one made for braces. One side isn't enough if you've got braces on both teeth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 7:46am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wore a mouth guard, but I ALWAYS bled when would just get the tapped in the mouth. I used to be done with class and my uniform would always have blood on it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast