Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 6:38am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne
    Also, @the other poster, I would rather not say that name of my BJJ instructor.
    From this I can only assume whoever is teaching it is not a legit BJJ instructor? If you were being taught by someone with rank in BJJ, there is no reason you wouldn't tell us who is teaching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 6:48am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the school offer multiple martial arts?

Karate/Kempo/Taekwondo as well as BJJ? In separate classes, run by separate people?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 9:46am

Style: various cma's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i might open a school that says "Not Karate"

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. When I watch the black belts train, there are about 4 or 5 kids(like, 4th - 6th grade) who are 1st - 2nd degree black belts.
    Yes, this is total McDojo. How many years do you think those kids put into training? 3 or 4? Do they train as hard as any of the adults and have great technique or does it look like they were promoted simply because they’ve been there for a while and paid the fees?

2. There are a lot of side things I need to buy. Like, eskrima sticks, sparring equipment(which was about $130 total), testing fees(which go up around 15 dollars per belt, starting at 30 dollars when I started at white belt), $25 fees to attend competitions, 2 different kinds of gloves, etc.
    Now you are going to have to buy certain equipment if your going to be sparring: gloves, mouthgear, shin guards, and headgear. I'm not sure how much that costs, but you should check out how much that stuff costs from catalogs or online. If he lets you use your own gear, cool, if they make you buy their gear ONLY, then they are trying to milk your pocketbook.

3. There are 3 different programs. Regular, Black Belt Club, and then one more above Black Belt Club(I don't want to be too specific)
    Whats the pros and con for each memebership? Costs? Your going to have to give some more specifics.

4. I spend 300 dollars a month, excluding all the extra garbage. That's 3,600 dollars a year, excluding all the extra garbage I have to buy.

You are spending WAY too much a month for training! The most I would ever consider paying would be $150 a month, and only if I was getting my money's worth. $100 per month or less is reasonable, $300 is insane! Seriously, your paying for being associated with Ernie Reyes. I'm sure you can find just as good, if not better training for half of what your paying now.

It might be worth you're while just to go to other schools in the area and seeing what else is out there and what they cost.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne
    4. I spend 300 dollars a month, excluding all the extra garbage. That's 3,600 dollars a year, excluding all the extra garbage I have to buy.
    300 dollars a month!!!!????!!!!11?1

What the hell do you get in return??? And what's your monthly cost of stuff not covered by those 300 dollars????

:icon_pale

Just to give you some perspective in what you are paying and what you could get in other places.

My sisters have their kids in a ATA school, and although it's not cheap, I can certainly say it's doesn't even come close to $200.

ATT charges around $160 (or something like that) for full access to all of their classes mornings, afternoons and evenings (BJJ, MT, et al) with a full blown gym, showers, lockers and ****.

Most MMA and BJJ gyms have similar prices - where I used to go charges $150 for BJJ, gi and no gi 6 days a week, two Judo classes a week and one boxing class on Fridays, and access to a small gym equiped with threadmills, bench and cable machines.

Most Judo places don't charge more than a $100. One of our local posters go to a dojo that charges about $50 with classes Mondays to Thursdays and Saturdays. Another dojo I know of charges $60 a month for classes 6 days a week.

There is a local san shou school I know that put fighters out, and that doesn't charge over $150 (last time I check) and they have classes 6 days a week as well.

Now, it is your money, and if you feel you are getting something worth out of your $300 dollars, more power to you.

But **** me I would fork that kind of money, not unless I'm in that gym 6 days a week consistently, enjoying excellent facilities and super-duper, almost one-on-one training... and if I had plently of money to spare.

$300/month is almost a monthly payment on a car lease, and it more or less covers my monthly expenses on cable, telephone, internet, power/light, and water/garbage services. $300/month could also be an LA Fitness/Golds Gym gym membership, gas expenses, eating out/movie expenses, movie rentals, and the usual UFC/Boxing PPV.

Think of it.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 12/20/2007 11:58am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:03pm

Style: Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can personnaly attest to Ernie Reyes, Sr's first exposure to BJJ. It was not pretty. He and a few of his BB walked in to Cesar Gracie's academy in Pleasant Hill, CA (about 1993). They were in full TKD uniforms with all kinds of cool patches. Unfortunately, the cool uniforms did not help. ER and his entourage got worked over. I personnaly submitted every single one of them as did most of the other BJJ students.

However, they returned with fresh white judo gi's and fresh white belts. I think they did some privates and, if they were smart, continued training.

So, the roots of ER sr's BJJ go back at least to 1993 and the fundamentals were from GJJ. I don't know your dojo and you haven't mentioned the BJJ instructor, so who knows. But there is a chance that they may be legit.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Reyes chains are absolute mega McDojos full of kiddie blackbelts, soccer moms and everything you'd expect to suck. The branch (since gone independent) I know most about essentially runs a day care facility making money by the dumptruck full. They charge more per month than any other facility in town (much more than my very legit bjj school). They do all the xma silliness and have shiny chrome kamas.

There is no doubt that they are a mcdojo. They also, somehow, manage to actually teach people to fight to some level of competency (though only if you actually care to learn how to fight, I suspect most of their students don't realize what that would entail) and bring in coaches from my school to teach their grappling and the lead instructors train their grappling with us.

They're an absolute mcdojo, but the training isn't necessarily horrible.

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:53pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    300 a month is ridiculous. And you're paying 300 a month PLUS belt test fees and competition fees as well as equipment. I would quit ASAP on principle alone. They are robbing you, as well as anyone else paying that kind of money.

It's cheaper to train at Renzo's in NYC where the rent is astronomical!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 1:10pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you locked into a contract at this school? Did they say anything about a Black Belt Fast Track or anything like that? Sounds like you should explore your options.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 1:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Following Upa and beringc's post, then one cannot really say the dojo is stealing the OP. There are some reedeming qualities if the OP is interested in learning how to fight from them.

And here is the thing. He needs to sit down and decides what he wants and what he's willing to give/pay/compromise.

$300/month is a lot. However (and purely as an example), if I were in the middle of nowhere, or where traffic is a fucking nightmare, I'd gladly pay $100/month extra if that helps me avoid 1+ hour of traffic everytime I go train, if I were training 3+ times a week.

If $100 extra gets me to drive 5-15 minutes from work on my way home instead of driving 45+ minutes from work in the opposite direction from going home (thus making almost 2 hours, or more, of traffic), ****, I'd do it (if I can afford it, of course).

But that's just me. The OP needs to sit down and do his math, assuming he finds something of his liking in the school he's going, and that such a thing fullfills what he really wants to do right now.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast