Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 4:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CA: I'm charged a lot at Ernie Reyes TKD, yet it doesn't seem like mcdojo

Over the past ~6 months, I've been suspecting the martial art I take of being a McDojo. Let me begin by saying, other than the cost, it does not really seem like a McDojo.

Ernie Reyes Sr. is the creator of the martial art system that I take, where there are about 37 schools throughout California. The school where I train says "Karate" over the outside, yet about 5 months into the martial art one of the students said it was Taekwondo, confused that I didn't know that. So I went to one of the instructors and he said that, "The base is Taekwondo, but Taekwondo is only about half of what we train(we train how to defend ourselves against grapplers, eskrima sticks, some submissions, etc). The main instructor of my school seems very legit, and we sparr a lot(I think), a max of 7 times a week if you attend every sparring class, which I do. I attend about 3 classes a day Monday - Friday. This all seems pretty legit, right?

Well, here are the reasons that make me wonder:

1. When I watch the black belts train, there are about 4 or 5 kids(like, 4th - 6th grade) who are 1st - 2nd degree black belts.

2. There are a lot of side things I need to buy. Like, eskrima sticks, sparring equipment(which was about $130 total), testing fees(which go up around 15 dollars per belt, starting at 30 dollars when I started at white belt), $25 fees to attend competitions, 2 different kinds of gloves, etc.

3. There are 3 different programs. Regular, Black Belt Club, and then one more above Black Belt Club(I don't want to be too specific)

4. I spend 300 dollars a month, excluding all the extra garbage. That's 3,600 dollars a year, excluding all the extra garbage I have to buy.

Other than that, it really doesn't seem like a McDojo.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 5:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ernie reyes sr. and jr. are both the real deal when it comes to taekwondo.... being a franchise it all depends on who your instructor is... the price seems high but the famous name is the reason im sure.. the question is are you getting out of the training what you want/expected and are you happy with the training/price... anyways good luck with your training..

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 5:11am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gajewski
    ernie reyes sr. and jr. are both the real deal when it comes to taekwondo.... being a franchise it all depends on who your instructor is... the price seems high but the famous name is the reason im sure.. the question is are you getting out of the training what you want/expected and are you happy with the training/price... anyways good luck with your training..
    I am getting what I want out of the training, it's just that all the signs of a McDojo really confuse me.

I'm not happy with the price.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 5:20am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How exactly do you train to defend against grapplers? What submissions do you learn? Who teaches you this and what qualifications do they have in a grappling style? Do they have a competition (grappling) record?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 5:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic
    How exactly do you train to defend against grapplers? What submissions do you learn? Who teaches you this and what qualifications do they have in a grappling style? Do they have a competition (grappling) record?
    We frequently train in sprawls, knees, punches, and kicks in situations where your opponent is trying to take you down. For every submission we learn, we also learn how to escape from it. We learn basic submissions, like armbar, triangle choke, guillotine choke, rear naked choke, etc. We also learn to escape from full mount, side mount, and passing the guard/half guard. Our main instructor does not have any grappling record and is not qualified in a grappling style, as far as I know.

Also, I cross train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 2 days a week. I should have mentioned that in my original post. It would normally cost me 300 dollars a month even if I didn't take the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, so you can say that the Jiu Jitsu is "free" with the program above Black Belt Club.
    Last edited by Arne; 12/20/2007 5:36am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 5:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You train BJJ at the same school? Who teaches it?

Don't confuse McDojo with Bullshido. They may be teaching you properly and to a good level, but it can still be a McDojo.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 5:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, anybody teaching you grappling techniques without a recognised grappling rank is robbing you. Period.

Secondly the price seems very steep. I'm not really up with the economics of martial arts schools in your area but I would guess that a decent MMA school with instructors who have professional fight records or extensive competitive experience should cost not much more than half that.

Thirdly the frequency that you spar is not the be all and end all of the legitimacy of your school. If you are learning poor technique from people who have never really had to apply it then it's not much more effective than no sparring at all.

My advice is try a few classes at your local MMA school if you've got one and then compare the tuition you're getting there for the price they're asking.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 6:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, anybody teaching you grappling techniques without a recognised grappling rank is robbing you. Period.

Secondly the price seems very steep. I'm not really up with the economics of martial arts schools in your area but I would guess that a decent MMA school with instructors who have professional fight records or extensive competitive experience should cost not much more than half that.

Thirdly the frequency that you spar is not the be all and end all of the legitimacy of your school. If you are learning poor technique from people who have never really had to apply it then it's not much more effective than no sparring at all.

My advice is try a few classes at your local MMA school if you've got one and then compare the tuition you're getting there for the price they're asking.
    We practice our technique a lot, and I have good technique. Our instructors have had to apply the non grappling techniques that they teach us in many competetions, I know that for a fact.

I've looked around for an MMA school around my area, and there isn't one.

Also, @the other poster, I would rather not say that name of my BJJ instructor.

Y SO SRIUS?

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 6:17am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean if anybody is teaching you BJJ without a recognised rank right?
    What if they are a collegiate wrestler, or submission grappler who has won some titles?

Im not busting your balls here. Just clarifying.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 6:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rank, record, certain number of years of experience in a well recognised style. All of the above would be appropriate I'd say.

It sounds like he's getting instruction from somebody who has none of these, which is bizarre if he's got BJJ instruction at the same school. Maybe I've misunderstood.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast