Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 4:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well i'm 5'2 so if lifting really does mess up your growth, i'd be fucked lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 9:45am

Style: various cma's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurf
    I don't remember anybody else lifting until at least sophmore year.

You know what man, forget what I said. Definitely start lifting, just don't go crazy like I used to. Even better start doing stuff like the pegs, ropes, and lots of pullups. And definitely wrestle, I wish I had now.

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 10:42am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurf
    I've heard that rumor about lifting young making guys short, but I don't recall seeing any decent science to back it up. I started lifting when I was 13, and I'm not short. I just think you'll get better athletic bang for your buck -- and develop better VO2 max -- by sprinting, jumping, squatting, pulling yourself up, rope climbing, bear walking, and other stuff like that. You'll get loads of those sorts of drills if you join the wrestling team, plus practical grappling experience that will help your game. There's no down side.

In terms of putting on weight, if you start a three-times/week regime of dead lifting, squatting and bench pressing on your 15th birthday, you'll be a beast by the time you're 18.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard the rumor, too, and I actually witnessed what some people could be say it was called growth being stalled on a juvie from lifting. It was actually one of my sisters. She was just shooting up in height, non-stop. But the moment she got into lifting heavy (I think she was 13 or so in mid school), her growth just stopped there. Squats, leg presses and stuff. Maybe it was pure coincidence that she started lifting just when her "growth clock" was scheduled to stop, who knows? :)

My completely-out-of-my-ass guess is the following:

Take a kid younger than, say 14, and who is naturally small. If that kid overtrains and does not eat with a diet that supports his exercise regime, his growth may be stunted. So natural built and diet would be more of a factor for a kid in the middle of growing...

... completely out-of-my-ass theory, mind you.

McMurf should just work out and eat like a pig (don't you ever under-eat), and jack's recommendations on wrestling and lifting should do just fine for him.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 3:08pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bones are elongated via growth plates - special bands of cartilage, in the upper portion of the femur.

Awkward question, but are your sister's thighs disproportionally short? That would indicate premature closure of growth plates.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12