Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 11:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Exercise regimen

So right now i have a work out for about 1 hour a day solely using body weight exercises. I have read and heard from many people weighing the effectiveness of both. I do however, think i need to bulk up, considering how no matter how strong i am, if i am small a bigger guy can just toss me aside. What kind weight training would you reccomend for a guy in good shape wanting to get bigger? Also, i have read slightly about something called tabata. Right now, my cardio is mediocre. Would running using the 20 sec sprint 10 sec walk method 8 times be too much, or just right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 1:20am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used this guy's weight routine before. I like using it for a few months then switching to something else for a month so I don't get bored. http://sfuk.tripod.com/articles_03/weights_4mma.html

As for cardio, I'd suggest jogging a couple of miles for warm up and ending it with a mile's worth of sprinting. if you have access to a track it's easy to break it up into distances that allow you to alternate between sprints and jogs. Jumping rope is good too. If you have access to a stadium, even better.

What are you training for?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 8:05am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do however, think i need to bulk up, considering how no matter how strong i am, if i am small a bigger guy can just toss me aside.
    Unless you're 6'6" this will always be true and why we have weight classes in MMA.

Advice: Go buy this.

<-----

Doing heavy 5x5s is the sweet spot for power/size/strength. As for cardio, most of that should be from sparring/training. Also read the sticky. There's lots of good stuff there, I promise.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 7:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    I've used this guy's weight routine before. I like using it for a few months then switching to something else for a month so I don't get bored. http://sfuk.tripod.com/articles_03/weights_4mma.html

As for cardio, I'd suggest jogging a couple of miles for warm up and ending it with a mile's worth of sprinting. if you have access to a track it's easy to break it up into distances that allow you to alternate between sprints and jogs. Jumping rope is good too. If you have access to a stadium, even better.

What are you training for?
    i train in MA of course. And yeah, what you are saying is one of the main reasons i posted this actually. Some people say roadwork (running miles im assuming) is useless, and considering i hate and dread running, this would be good news for me.

As for pirate jon, i am VERY VERY small and light, lol. As in less than 110.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 7:21pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old are you? Have you finished growing? I don't mean that in a mean way. 110 lbs is really light.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 8:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah im only 13, i can post a picture if you would like. I'm not like a stick or anything lol

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 8:29pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McMurf: you're probably a couple of years early to dive into a serious weight training routine (not disastrous or anything, but probably early), or to put on much muscle. The two things I'd recommend are (a) join the wrestling team at school; (b) get your parents to sign you up for gymnastics. Wrestling should be obvious. Gymnastics is often overlooked, but gymnasts are some of the strongest, best conditioned athletes in the world. If you do either of these things consistently for the next few years, you'll start to gain considerable muscular size between 15 and 16.

Good luck and keep training.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 7:40am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurf
    i train in MA of course. And yeah, what you are saying is one of the main reasons i posted this actually. Some people say roadwork (running miles im assuming) is useless, and considering i hate and dread running, this would be good news for me.

As for pirate jon, i am VERY VERY small and light, lol. As in less than 110.
    Run stairs if you can enjoy that (I do), start jumping roping, bike, spar, heavy bag. There are other things you can do for cardio besides roadwork. I hate running myself (Mainly because of ankle problems), plus I find running on a relatively flast surface very borning.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 7:49am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    McMurf: you're probably a couple of years early to dive into a serious weight training routine (not disastrous or anything, but probably early), or to put on much muscle. The two things I'd recommend are (a) join the wrestling team at school; (b) get your parents to sign you up for gymnastics. Wrestling should be obvious. Gymnastics is often overlooked, but gymnasts are some of the strongest, best conditioned athletes in the world. If you do either of these things consistently for the next few years, you'll start to gain considerable muscular size between 15 and 16.

Depends on how tall he is- I did gymnastics for a bit, and I really didn't have the build for it. It's probably one of the easiest ways to get fucked up, too, if you aren't careful.

Definitely wrestling though. God, do I wish schools in Australia had a wrestling team.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2007 1:57am

Style: various cma's

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher

I started lifting at a boy's club gym at around 13 -14, put on a decent amount of muscle. Maybe 8 lbs withing the first few months or so. Basically a couple hours a day 4 days a week doing 3 body parts a day. However, in my case, I only grew a fucking inch my whole HS duration. Was the most ripped freshman football player, but that is meaningless now. Not really sure if I could have gained some more height, even a few inches, hadn't i lifted so early. But I do know all the lazy fucks around me were getting taller. So its up for debate, we'll see how tall that baby hercules kid will get.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast