Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:38pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlurker
    Fourth is anti-inflammatories. If you're cautious/worried about taking too much OTC stuff, knowledgeable guys on here have given natural alternatives (can't remember the thread, but I think papayin was mentioned)
    Tumeric is a natural alternative. The 'active' ingredient in Tumeric is called curcumin. It has an earthy mustardy flavor (many mustards include it for its yellow color) without any heat, found as component in nearly all curries and strongly connected to North African cusine. 1/8 of a teaspoon a day is enough to result a measurable difference in the tension in blood vessel walls, and by extension, a drop in blood pressure.

Used for centureis in India as an antiseptic and for treating pain. Initial scientific testing seems to confirm its use for both of these purposes. The pain relief is most likely caused by blocking the Cox-2 enzyme. Its active ingredient might also be effective in treating Alzheimer's and cancer, and studies and development of drugs are under way using it. Of particular note for graplers, large doses taken orally treat MRSA caused boils.

There isnt' a threat of hitting any sort of practical upper limit to the amount you can consume safely in a day if used as a seasoning for food, although 1/8th of a teaspoon is enough to get the majority of the benefit without making your food taste too mustardy. I consume a lot more - but I've acquired a taste for it. Goes great with whole grains and vegetables. Everyone on the planet ought to eat at least the 1/8th teaspoon a day I've mentioned. Taken orally in volumes large enough to treat MRSA isn't a good idea though - it can lead to constipationa nd dehydration.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:51pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sandy Claws
    You and I are different, as is OP,
    I'm ok, you're ok :5grouphug

The pitfalls of braces/sleeves etc. just aren't very well understood, because there's so many impressive/visible people that use them. Like I said before, my HS wrestling coach wore one every single day, and you see them in every sporting event (at least here in the US).

They increase proprioception, the feeling of what is going on where in your body, they provide mechanical support. Short term, short period of time can = safety.

However, they do two other things that people often forget beyond the weakening possibility.

They provide resistance. So if you're wearing a knee brace/sleeve, for example, every time you flex/extend your leg, you're working against added resistance. True, it's a small amount -not like sitting on a leg extension machine- but it's constant, and it adds up during the period of use (match/game).

They also provide warmth, through the added resistance to the muscle, compression, friction, and insulation.

Added resistance + added heat = fatigue. Guess what one of the greatest causes of sports injury is? In other words, the benefits of the increased proprioception start to get canceled out by the additional fatigue from those factors, and when the sum becomes negative you're in the danger zone. Add this to over-use of a brace or sleeve for an extended period of time, and you can end up with a weak, tired knee that feels nice and warm and snug.

IMHO, the best method of coping is rest, rehab, and strengthening. If you need to wear a brace or sleeve in order to train (outside of a truly permanent condition where you have no choice-ie an anatomical change, not "gee I can't take two months off") you're pushing your body beyond its limits. It's as if someone was overtrained from lifting too much and started guzzling ripped fuel to deal with the fatigue instead of taking time off.

If you look at some of the hiking and running forums online, you'll see people saying things like "without a brace I never would have been able to run 13 miles a day for the last ten years." Whoa. You have to consider your goals and objectives, and balance short-term versus long-term keeping in mind how easy it is for even good stuff to become addictive.

Kinesiotaping (which any physical therapist can teach you how to do) provides a lot of the benefits of braces/sleeves without as many of the negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Ok, dude, really, seriously, stop fooling around with acrobatics and ****.
    I know there've been guys on here who have posted about f'ing their knees up with XMA/tricking. Yeah, can happen with anything else, but with that stuff the risk is damn high. Chicks probably dig it :XXspermy: and it looks cool, but think about the old "grappling on da street". Can be done (in a parking lot for one example) but from what I've seen grapplers make damn sure their training surface is appropriate, and don't regularly use their training to show off (or have its point being to show off) on the sidewalk, at parties, high school/college stages, clubs, hardwood floors, etc. In fact, I'd bet rolling in the infamous street for a half hour is safer then tricking on it for ten minutes.

Here's an article from a tricking guy for one last shot in the dark:

Risks in tricking

By jujimufu

Tricking is gambling -

In whole a tricking injury can be avoided simply by not tricking. So the simple conclusion that everybody already realizes comes to draw : Tricking injuries are self inflicted. So we call this game acrobatic gambling. The payoff is acrobatic beauty, the risk is... ummm... Not acrobatic beauty.

So how "do" we prevent tricking injuries?

First, we'll discuss how to prevent a chronically developed injury. These are the easiest to prevent, all you have to do is listen to your body and give it a rest.

Listen to your body: You're a truly a moron. You must trust what your body and what you feel over your thought processes.

Trick in safer conditions: Concrete is unforgiving, attempting new tricks on concrete is idiocy. Although concrete is novelty and toughens you up pretty good, it's a no zone for learning new moves. It's safer to learn new tricks on grass or in a gymnastics facility. It's also safer to trick with a friend or with someone who has some experience to keep an eye on you.

The injury is your wake up call! It's a cry for attention. No matter what caused the accident you're going to have to alter your training. We'll cover this on a very basic level: Work around the injury. If you have a knee problem you stay off your knee and you avoid the pain. You do not work through the pain, you work around the pain. This definately isn't difficult to do.
    http://www.club540.com/article76.html

edit- and thanks for the post j Iknow there's some other ones out there too I can't remember
    They killed JFK in '63, so what the **** you think they'll do to me?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12