Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 5:32am

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hyperextended knee

I hyperextended my knee back in late November, and it's still bothering me; I've even managed to slightly aggravate it again recently. What can I do to recover faster from this shiz?

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 10:54am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXacreD
    I hyperextended my knee back in late November, and it's still bothering me; I've even managed to slightly aggravate it again recently. What can I do to recover faster from this shiz?
    What are you doing to make it hyperextend? That's the first issue.

Second is time frame. Late november -> mid December = might not be enough time for rest.

Third is ice and more ice. You can use heat, but if you do or alternate heat with ice remember to end with ice, and don't ice for too long (15-20 minutes max or you get tissue damage).

Fourth is anti-inflammatories. If you're cautious/worried about taking too much OTC stuff, knowledgeable guys on here have given natural alternatives (can't remember the thread, but I think papayin was mentioned)

Fifth is strengthening your knee/leg. Work on your vastus lateralis (outside of your quad) helps a lot to support your knee. Leg extensions and hindu squats (with caution and medical approval after you see your doc) are great for that.

Sixth is back to what's making it happen. Been doing a lot of stretching? Some stretches ie hurdler's stretch with straight front leg and bent back leg, especially if you lean back, actually stress your ligaments and are bad for you. Stretching too much/too often, especially without working on strength, is bad for you. If your leg muscles aren't very strong, you don't want to be stretching the hell out of them because you'll end up destabilizing yourself.

Also, some people have hypermobility, ie their joints naturally bend beyond the normal ROM. If this is the case, you need to use caution and think about stretching vs. strengthening even more. Plus make sure your sneakers/training shoes are up to date and adequate and your training surface is appropriate (ie no tricking on hardwood floors in six-month old sneakers).

Probably the number one thing is to do all of the above but especially lay off it a little more. If you keep hyperextending you're playing russian roulette with your ligaments and tendons.
    They killed JFK in '63, so what the **** you think they'll do to me?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ what he said.

From Nov to Dec, it's too short a time to fool around with a hyperextended knee. I would also add that when you are not icying it, to apply icy hot every now and then. Wear a neoprene or similar knee wrap for additional support.

Futuro makes some nice ones. Look for the one with metal or plastic support to avoid buckling - they are a pain in the ass since they are bulky, hot and uncomfortable, but suck it up. They'll do you good for the next couple of weeks.

Don't be a tard and pop the knee for being impatient.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 9:56pm

Style: Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not doing anything to repeatedly hyperextend it; I actually "blew it out" when I was tricking. I landed with my leg straight and jolted it that way. It was a basic move called a narabong (essentially a tornado kick followed immediately by a hook).

Although I'm still doing muay thai, which should be strengthening it if anything...right?

And it's not like constantly hurting either; it just still hurts when I straighten out my leg and put pressure on the joint.

by the way, this is a narabong (one is done before and after the jump kick)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdwJeQTsXQQ

I got more height than I expected before the hook at the end, and landed with my right leg straightened out as I threw the hook.

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 11:01pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXacreD
    I'm not doing anything to repeatedly hyperextend it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdwJeQTsXQQ
    you're right, please disregard :icon_salu
    They killed JFK in '63, so what the **** you think they'll do to me?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 11:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get too dependant on the brace, your surrounding leg muscle will end up becoming weaker because of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:39am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sandy Claws
    Don't get too dependant on the brace, your surrounding leg muscle will end up becoming weaker because of it.
    I have to disagree with this advice. I'd rather be cautious and let the muscle get weaker while the ligiments and tendons heal properly.

Its a lot easier to rebuild muscle than repair damaged tendon's and ligaments.

I still don't have full dorsiflexion in my ankle since an injury in March. The only thing I would changed about the recovery process is go back and wear the brace longer than I did - I stopped using it after four weeks, I wish I had worn it 6 weeks.

Wearing it six weeks might not have changed anything, but I've rebuilt most of the strength in my right leg that I lost in about two months of lifting twice a week. Nine months later and I still can't get my right foot extended nearly as far as the left - even doing a lot of stretching and yoga.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 11:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhemsley
    I have to disagree with this advice. I'd rather be cautious and let the muscle get weaker while the ligiments and tendons heal properly.

Its a lot easier to rebuild muscle than repair damaged tendon's and ligaments.

I still don't have full dorsiflexion in my ankle since an injury in March. The only thing I would changed about the recovery process is go back and wear the brace longer than I did - I stopped using it after four weeks, I wish I had worn it 6 weeks.

Wearing it six weeks might not have changed anything, but I've rebuilt most of the strength in my right leg that I lost in about two months of lifting twice a week. Nine months later and I still can't get my right foot extended nearly as far as the left - even doing a lot of stretching and yoga.
    True.
    Each individual and their cirscumstances are unique and the OP should go based on his own abilities/experience/injury/doctor's advice/internal feeling.

During my numerous knee injuries I fiddled around with the amount of time I left my supports on and what I have found for me is:
    the longer I kept my support on, the longer it took to rehab and the more dependant my body became to artificial support. My body adapted to the circumstances presented. My only concern with the weakening of the surrounding muscles is it *can* put added strain on the tendons and ligaments, particularly if you aren't doing anything with the levator or depressor muscles surrounding the injury.

Obviously if your knee is unable to support the weight and not have anything remotely resembling a normal range of motion, put that brace back on and slow it down. However, I also have seen people wearing their brace long after the normal injury/rehab/rebuilt time, sometimes for years. I would rather deal with reduced range of motion then inability to support my own weight consistantly.

I only wanted to suggest to the OP not to let his brace become a constant crutch, if it need not be. You and I are different, as is OP, hopefully with all this shotgun information he can cobble together a plan that is right for him/her.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Memo To the OP:

Stop being a dumbass and stop fucking around with your leg. Stop jumping, kicking, running, hopping, skipping, dry-humping while on one leg or anything like that for a few weeks at least.

:biblethumb :biblethumb :biblethumb :biblethumb :biblethumb

Ok, I got to get that out of my system, and I feel better now. Ok, dude, really, seriously, stop fooling around with acrobatics and ****. Wear a brace, ice it, take some NSAIDs, massage it, take some walks, but don't run.

Also, after a week or so, when you feel better, and not before, try to do the top portion of lunges (bodyweight only, and only the top portion of the motion). Keep wearing the brace, and ice it as needed.

Unless you really fucked it up, you should be good as new in a couple of weeks, but you won't be if you don't live the goddamit knee alone and allow it to heal.

Really dude, you may be a hair away from doing some serious damage to your knees, so why fool around?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 12:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Memo To the OP:

Stop being a dumbass and stop fucking around with your leg.
    the winner!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast