:)

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:42am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    best SNL clip evah!

I'd go with SS/Bjj...and if it's in one school (meaning one membership) then that sounds lovely.

San Shou for punch/kick/takedowns/cardio....bjj for...well you know.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Still Searching

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I knew someone would get it Omega!!! LOL
    Christopher Walken(bruce dickenson) rules!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a feva and the only cure is more cowbell.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strong advice bobyclumsyninja. Thanks.
    Hell I might just flip a damn coin ;)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 12:58am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say sanshou/bjj, because in sanshou, you learn to throw/takedown against someone trying to punch, kick, and grapple with you. This is not so much the case with judo. Pure boxing may also teach you some habits that leave openings for someone to kick or knee you. Having said that, boxing + judo is a great combination.

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 1:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless it's some watered down no leg kicks bollocks, and you're taught for something approaching USKBA (I think) san da rules (knees to body, no limit to leg kicks, 3 seconds to clinch before reset etc) then you're gonna get one hell of a workout.

The cardio aspect of good san shou training is superb. You'll get the boxing, but will learn to tilt the back leg in a bit, for faster kicks, and not be so sideways....elbows in...and you'll hopefully get some instruction on the hopping side kick...some people just can't get away from them...it's a good tool in case.

If the teacher is able to produce good fighters, and has experience in doing that well...it shouldn't be a deal breaker that he's never fought. Perhaps ask him how he got into teaching/coaching san shou after a class.

p.s. I know it's long, sorry. Boxing stances don't translate as well into more open combat as well as san shou, or bjj. Judo rocks, but if you can get SS/bjj out of one school, and the school doesn't suck...go for it. Sounds like you found a sweet deal.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 1:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Almighty advice clumsy ninja. That's the kind of informed info I was hoping to get on bullshido. Now i'm off to crank up"Don't fear the reaper" by blue oyster cult (lot's of cowbell)
    Rock the nation!
    Another thing to add to the pro column of my pro's/con's list is that the SS/bjj gym is right by me mums. (she wants me to visit more often as all moms do)
    So if I get clobbered I can go cry on her shoulder and get some chicken soup. lol

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 2:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that should seal the dealie. Mom's (mom, mum, I forget where you live) love for the win.

one other thing...the san shou kick catch and dump...is one hell of a way to get side control in an mma setting. It translates perfectly into some bjj applications. It's here a few times somewhere in this vid. It's a student at the school where strikestanian, and I attend(I so have to get to class, I know they miss me talking too much, and retching outside).

He's doing the thing with a thai boxer...san da rules. His name's Will...he's kicked my ass too many times. I'd be embarrassed, but he's fire.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cEjeE_2pJHg

you likely won't learn all of that as a beginner, but it should give you some idea of the application in full contact....should you ever aspire to compete.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12