Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 5:04pm

Style: BJJ/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What to Make of This?

Ok, so I've been interested in this one school. It's an SBGi affliate gym. They offer MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (no gi) and some Karate (krotty) program for kids. They have very reasonable prices too. ( http://www.teamonemma.com/ )

The instructor has a black belt in American Combat Karate (lol combat krotty) and a bluebelt in BJJ under Mr. Human Weapon, Jason Chambers.

I love BJJ and want to get back into it. So I was pretty excited about classes. (still am, and have talked to him)

But then... I see this...

http://blogs.forumer.com/CombatGal/

And this person just trashes the instructor and the school, saying its all horrible training, and that the instructor is a sham.

What do I make of this? It sorta gave me 2nd thoughts, but I dont know.

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 5:48pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It’s one person so don’t put too much stock into what she says… however she has brought up a couple things that you will want to watch out for / check into for yourself. Depending on your goals his type of sparring may not be what you want (point sparring) and it seems their may be some McDojo kind of requirements for gear and equipment that you will need to buy, even though you wont use it. Go check out the school and see for yourself… all else fails ask them directly about what ever it is that bothers you. If they answer honestly then great… if they dodge the questions then run for the hills!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 5:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight
    It’s one person so don’t put too much stock into what she says… however she has brought up a couple things that you will want to watch out for / check into for yourself. Depending on your goals his type of sparring may not be what you want (point sparring) and it seems their may be some McDojo kind of requirements for gear and equipment that you will need to buy, even though you wont use it. Go check out the school and see for yourself… all else fails ask them directly about what ever it is that bothers you. If they answer honestly then great… if they dodge the questions then run for the hills!
    They can't be too bad though, right? He has a bluebelt under Jason Chambers, who is a very talented BJJ fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 5:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also I thought SBGi doesnt put up with bullshit, so maybe that person just has a personal problem with the instructor.

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KFighter
    Also I thought SBGi doesnt put up with bullshit, so maybe that person just has a personal problem with the instructor.

yea you can always find people with personal grudges. Their are some krotty freakaziods who have crappy striking but get good BBJ skills and then use that to boost their so called striking. It sucks, but it seems to be happening more.

BBJ instructors don't necessarily check their students stand-up before giving them rank ;)

Still always check before you sign

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And all Im worried about is their BJJ. I dont plan on training striking there, just learning BJJ. Thats my goal.

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure where the "main" office is for SBGi , but you should be able to contact them and at least verify that this guy is certified to teach... it should all be good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive sent an email.

Has anyone had experience with Team One?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 7:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An interesting note.

On the Human Weapon page, Jason Chambers says Shawn Terrance was pretty important in getting him into martial arts.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KFighter
    And all Im worried about is their BJJ. I dont plan on training striking there, just learning BJJ. Thats my goal.
    How long have you been doing BJJ?

If you are interested in Gi and are blue belt, you might want to consider looking elsewhere?

Otherwise try out a class...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast