Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nasreal
    I would love to see that lol, although who would they have teach them. watch some 90 year old, pissed, drunk irish guy beat bill duff's ass with a stick. :beatdead:
    There are rumors about still-existing (historical) Irish stickfighting styles but not a lot of solid evidence. As far as reconstructions go, there's just enough written down in a couple of old books to give a basic idea of how the Irish used to fight with shillelaghs and some folks have been training in that style for quite a while now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 9:37pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    There are rumors about still-existing (historical) Irish stickfighting styles but not a lot of solid evidence. As far as reconstructions go, there's just enough written down in a couple of old books to give a basic idea of how the Irish used to fight with shillelaghs and some folks have been training in that style for quite a while now.
    I'm aware of that. I was simply making a small attempt at humor. I mean, i was at least aware that there were some people training in some version of it. If it didn't have its own thread it was at least mentioned in another one.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nasreal
    I'm aware of that. I was simply making a small attempt at humor. I mean, i was at least aware that there were some people training in some version of it. If it didn't have its own thread it was at least mentioned in another one.
    :phil2:
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 3:12pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistrael
    :phil2:
    i resent that

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 5:15pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was referring to an episode centered around ARMA or ochs or AEMMA type of groups more along the lines of reviving european mideaval martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/24/2007 9:06pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Letum
    Aye, they should go over to SESH in Finland. That would be awesome to watch.
    Sesh?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 1:38am

supporting member
     Style: .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whisper
    Sesh?
    School of European Swordsmanship, Helsinki - Guy Windsor's school. I know Guy, he's a top-notch researcher and instructor.

http://www.swordschool.com/en/index.html

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/25/2007 7:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the OP was talking about HEMA and Ringen and such, though I guess Pankration would be pretty close to that field.
    I'd say that would be pretty awesome. It seems like Human Weapon has tried to take the emphasis off of martial arts as an oriental phenomenon, what with the Savate and Pankration and Sambo and all being in the first season. It seems like HEMA is inevitable.
    I'm just kind of worried that they've gone so long, and are only now doing Taekwondo. I'm afraid they're going to run out of non-Korean martial if they don't pace them out.
    It's just going to Tang Soo Do, then Hapkido, Then Kuk Sool, Then Choi Kwang Do, then Hwarang Do...
    So yeah, they'll need stuff like to HEMA to break up the inevitable wave of Korean martial arts episodes.
    I'm also personally waiting for Human Weapon: Wrestling. It'll be interesting to see how they approach the differences in folkstyle, freestyle, Greco-Roman, and the thousands of styles of folk wrestling from around the world.

Posted On:
    12/27/2007 6:33pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    now that you mention it, I'm looking forward to the wrestling episode too.

my guess though is that they will end up doing freestyle at a college somewhere but do a historical bit on the various other forms of wrestling from all different cultures (including sumo) and probably throw in some "entertainment" wrestling to sell the show as well and mention important distinctions between real and fake wrestling.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast