Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/19/2008 5:53pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually tried that, as I had one lying around. I hacked a short length of it off, and attempted to release some trigger points, but I personally found it to be a bit too soft for my needs.

For a cheap alternative, try going to a foam and rubber supplier - here in Australia, there's a store called Clark's Foam and Rubber that will custom make basically anything you specify out of foam and/or rubber. You can choose the size, color, and density of the foam rod you want, and they'll cut it to size for you.

I know a guy who got a wrestling mat like that to his specifications, and a crash mat, and honestly, they're hands-down, the best mats I've rolled on, with the exception of my Judo club .

Hopefully there's a place that offers a similar service in your area.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    They'd do. I use an assortment of cylindrical and spherical-shaped **** for myofascial release including:

-- tennis balls wrapped in socks or towel.
    -- basketballs
    -- foam rollers
    -- baseballs
    -- wooden knobs
    -- 2" and 4" PVC pipes
    -- rattan sticks and 1.5"/2" dowels

Anything than can be pushed and rolled on your body to pressure point and stretch the crap out of your fascia will do.
    With things like the wooden knobs, do you need to worry about bruising and stuff like that? I mean if you've already got an injury and you start prodding it really hard, couldn't you make it worse?

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 3:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    pressure point
    Chi Fairy, Ban PLZ.

Seriously, you are doing some GREAT work in this Forum; I think its one of the best/most useful on the site. As a massage therapist, I want to thank you for getting the word out.

BTW - I've read/been told that about 70 - 75% of major trigger points correspond very closely with major accupuncutre points.

Trigger points, as I'm sure you know, are indicative of neurological and circulatory dysfunction - this kind of validates my thoughts that TCM's meridians may have been a pre-scientific attempt to understand these systems.

As opposed to, you know, voodoo.
    Last edited by Zendetta; 6/26/2008 3:37pm at .
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/26/2008 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    With things like the wooden knobs, do you need to worry about bruising and stuff like that? I mean if you've already got an injury and you start prodding it really hard, couldn't you make it worse?
    Depends. After all, one must use common sense. For example, you don't need an ointment, massage oil or skin lubricant with a foam roller or a cylinder. However, you would with a door knob or a round point object.

Also, you are going to know. If the bruising is at a point that it cannot be massaged, you won't be able to do so. You are not going to get to the point of bruising unless you ignore the pain signals coming from your brain.

Furthermore, massage, trigger point massage, it's not for injuries. If you have an injury like a popped rib or a visible, tender hematoma, of course you wont' massage it. This is more applicable to muscular inflamation due to a pull, a spasm, inflamed fascia, scar tissue and adhesions, things like that.

I wouldn't worry about mild bruising if it gets to release a muscle from its spasm, to be honest.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 8:47pm

Style: Universal Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just another tip....

I put a Rattan stick inside of a Swim Noodle.
    Works well for a not-too-aggressive roller.
    I use it on my calves (just below the knees) and Achilles and outer Hip (laying on my side).

Thanks for this thread!
    John

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 8:44am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a 1 metre (cut in half) peice of PVC pipe. Probably about at least 3 inches across. I have long hands and probably can only wrap around about 2/3rds of the way, so it's phat yo. If you can't handle the pain of a foamy foam roller I do NOT recommend using PVC. The things that are a little ow with foam are "AUGH!!!!" with PVC. Jesus christ it hurts.

My problem with foam rolling is, I've only successfully 'released' two myofacial nodes in like 4 or so sessions of rolling. I'll roll over each area a fair bit, sit on the tend parts so to speak, roll over the nodes as I find them, but they just don't go away. I end up limping the rest of the day practically 'cause my TFL or calf muscle will still be aching.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 9:27am

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Subscribes* Cant's see the pics or vids from work..

Thanks!! Good topic!! My old ass needs information like this.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 6:28am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the T-nation article and do some searches online/on T-nation. There is some very informative stuff about this out ther.e
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 1:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great thread.
    I'm a licensed massage therapist and specialize in deep integrative work such as MFR, trigger point therapy, shiatsu etc.

The book by the same name as this site: http://www.anatomytrains.com/
    is a great resource for therapists and laypersons alike, as is the book Job's Body by Deane Juhan.

The Anatomy Trains text is especially helpful in seeing the body in a 3D sort of way, and understanding how the tension spirals through the body rather than pulls or zig-zags.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2009 6:30am

Style: bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow!

What an interesting thread

I have a sizable collection of balls, ranging from small hard rubber balls for kids, through to tennis balls and a football that I've been using for years to help relieve pain.

My favourite use for them, and one that has helped me recover from crippling (literally) plantar fasiitis and various other foot problems is simply to roll the balls under my feet. I start with a largish ball, bit bigger then a tennis ball, then move down to smaller, harder balls. It feels lovely, you get a fantastic foot massage and it's very energising.

I also use a tennis ball to massage my shoulders by placing it against a wall while I'm leaning against the wall and rolling the ball around under my scapula by wriggling around against the wall. It's brilliant.

I started doing this a few years back when I was pretty much imobilised with pain and illness and I hadn't realised that this was something people who are not ill did too.

I actually really love very firm massage and I get frustrated usually if I go for a massage as they hardly ever do it firmly enough. That's one good thing about using balls, is that I can control exactly how firm the massage is.

Also, when I first started training in martial arts, while stretching my hamstrings, on 2 occasions I felt and even heard a tearing sound coming from deep inside my leg, and thought I was going to be in agony but both times it didn't hurt at all, just freed up my leg. Could this have been some kind of myofascial release?

Anyway, an interesting thread . Thank you :)

I've bookmarked the links and will read more when I have a moment
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast