Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How Do Myofascial Release

I think most of us at some point or another have used the services of a massage therapy. And although we know deep tissue massage works, it's not something that we can afford to use everytime our bodies are falling apart. Which is why this thread is coming into existence.

My massage therapist gave me some times on how to do myofascial release at home using props, tennis balls and stuff like that, and that's something you guys may find useful. A few things first.

Myofascial release is a form of massage therapy that works on the fascia. Fascia is a connective tissue that surrounds organs and muscles. Most of us are familiar with the type of fascia that surrounds muscles as it's usually the target of deep tissue massage. Think of it as long rubber bands that start on the sole of the feet and wrap our bodies all the way to the neck.

Now, these aren't separate bands, but one single sheet of strong, flexible tissue wrapping your muscles. It's not the bones, but the fascia that keep things in place. Different sections are given names, such as the plantar fascia, iliotibial (IT) band AKA fascial lata, etc.

Now, just as muscles and tendons can get tight, inflexible and inflamed/irritated, so can the fascia. If you were to get a massage on the soles of your feet immediately before trying to touch your toes (in a hamstring stretch), you'd notice you can reach farther than you would without the massage.

Again, this is because the entire tissue connects one piece of your body to the next. And you must take care of it. Thus, in addition to strenght training and flexibility training, you must do myofascial release on a regular basis.

That's a picture I stole from somewhere :P The little knots in it show those spots that hurt like a bitch. Those are muscle fibers and/or irritated fascia. And the way to release them is by applying pressure on them (either constant pressure at a single point or in a circular or back-and-forth motion).

And all you need is a tennis ball and a foam roller.

For example, you can use a tennis ball to release tension on the fascia and muscles of your hip flexors, as in this picture I stole from somewhere:

It hurts like a bitch, but it's worth it. You move back and forth looking for the tender areas, and you make sure you stay in those areas applying constant pressure (within your pain threshold mind you.)

Other examples where a foam roller is used are as follows:

Calf release:

Peronius release:

Shin release (this is specially good to avoid shin splints):

Side Quad and IT band (this one hurts like a mofo):

Quadriceps:

Hip abductors:

Back release:

For most of these exercises, you can switch to a single limb to apply greater pressure. I wanted to write more about them for a long, but ****, I'm short on time. If I keep waiting for when I have the time, I'll never write it down.

So, for additional details, I strongly suggest you guys read the following articles in t-nation. They put all the work together in those articles, with complete explanation of exercises for the back, legs, triceps and what not.

Enjoy.

Feel Better for 10 Bucks : http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=475832

Soft Tissue Work for Tough Guys: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....6-150-training
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 12:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very cool post, I've been practicing double leg takedowns and my legs have been wrecked sore for three weeks now. I bought one of those executive personal massagers which helps, but I think the foam roller is the way to go. I was wondering what that foam dealie was that nobody uses at my gym... :cachas:

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 12:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't use that foam thingie if I were you.

Spoiler:
    staph.

You'd be better off if you have your own plus a couple of tennis balls. Concentrate on the quadriceps and on the IT band and side of the hips. It will hurt like a bitch, but you'll be as good as new.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 12:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few clips on the subject:

pirimorfis release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Qw4aAFdbc

A video how-to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY2r5N14zfk

and another how-to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJLxruO3su0

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 12:56pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously good advice here.

I got one of these last week and started using it at night, and started taking a gluatmine supplement as recommended by TEM right after lifting.

Suddenly, I'm not sore for two days after lifting weights, I feel looser, and recover much faster from working out. Is almost like the the foam roller thingy (which does hurt like hell) and glutamine supplementation are some kind of voodoo magic.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 7:53pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My physiotherapist friend was training in this, I think. Damn, I should have paid attention to what she said. It wasn't with the props, I don't think.

Now...

"How do happy ending?"
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good info Macho - as a massage therapist myself, I approve.

Interestingly enuff, I am very sore from recently sparring against another therapist. He also showed another friend that adductor release. AND I got some killer work on my levator scapula t work today.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 9:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    I wouldn't use that foam thingie if I were you.

Spoiler:
    staph.

You'd be better off if you have your own plus a couple of tennis balls. Concentrate on the quadriceps and on the IT band and side of the hips. It will hurt like a bitch, but you'll be as good as new.
    Ah, yeah, you're right. Should just get my own, but I swear I've never seen anyone use it. The other equipment near it is constantly being displaced except for the foam dealie, hasn't moved in 6 months...

Where do buy foam thingy?

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 10:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got mine from Target. $20 bucks and it comes with a DVD showing how to do the exercises (like how to use one of your legs for support so that you don't wear your triceps down and stuff.)

Funny thing that I also use other things in addition to the foam roller and tennis balls:

- a basketball for certain points in/between my shoulder blades,
    - a 12lbs century rubber ball, that is gushy, not solid and which I use for spinal flexion/extension
    - a PVC pipe instead of the foam roller for my hamstrings (cuz the foam roller doesn't do anything to them)
    - a PVC cap for my feet
    - a rattan stick for the inside of my forearms

Everytime I see something at Home Depot I try to see if I can use it for some of this **** :tongue3:

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 11:13am

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome thread. Sticky? I've used one of the gushy small medicine balls too.

This is a good (but wordy) article on the subject of massage and adhesions:

Soft Tissue Manipulation for Fibrous Adhesions

By: Ryan M. Lawrence, D.C.

As advances are made in fields related to sports medicine, beneficial information concerning mechanisms of athletic injury are uncovered, as well as more efficient means of diagnosis and treatment of them. Proper usage of physiologically therapeutics such as ice, heat, ultrasound, etc., as well as other ancillary modalities, may contribute greatly to injury recovery. They do, however, overlook the vast importance of focusing on muscle, tendon, and fascia. More attention is being given to therapies that target the soft tissues more directly. These include various forms of soft tissue manipulation, such as myofascial release, manual neuromuscular therapy, Graston Technique, etc.

Understanding the basic mechanisms of soft tissue injury is paramount in order to ascertain a proper diagnosis and establish a treatment regimen. When an acute injury is sustained by muscle or fascia, the precipitating events are those of acute inflammation. The acute inflammatory process often leaves a residue of edematous exudates. From the exudates, a highly vascular mass of granulation tissue develops which leads to the infiltration of fibroblasts and endothelial cells. The fibroblasts gradually create a matrix of collagen fibers, which become fibrous, or scar, tissue adhesions. Reoccurring soft tissue injuries, such as chronic muscle strains, may also cause these adverse effects of adhesion deposition.

The deposition of scar tissue adhesions within a muscle may lead to a cascade of deleterious effects. For instance, a muscle may become tight and restricted, often causing the muscle to weaken. When a muscle weakens, it can further become tightened, which not only perpetuates the cycle, but also results in an increase in pressure and/or tension within the tissues. This increase in pressure may result in a decrease in circulation of the lymphatic vessels, resulting in further edema and exudates, while a decrease in blood circulation results in cellular hypoxia. In both instances, more tissue fibrosis and adhesions are produced which permits this cycle of soft tissue injury to continue.

The aforementioned sequellae highlight the importance of a treatment regimen designed specifically for soft tissue injuries. Properly performed soft tissue manipulation will separate and break down fibrotic tissue cross-links, while also beneficially stretching connective tissue and muscle fibers. The riddance of scar tissue will break the soft tissue injury cycle and help to initiate and sustain the healing cascade. Treatments that are specifically designed for muscle and other soft tissues will increase the speed and recovery of these injuries. Athletes are already noticing these results, and the various types of soft tissue manipulation therapies are becoming more in demand.
    http://www.thesportjournal.org/sport...oft-tissue.asp

I f'ed up a bench press about a year ago and my left wrist felt weird, weak, and made strange clicking/snapping noises, but I could tell the joint wasn't the problem. I followed your advice from an earlier thread, poked around my forearm, and found a tender spot (which I found out later was the insertion point for some finger muscles). Ground the hell out of it with my knuckles and iced a few times and it's like new.

Adhesions are some weird ****. I found one in my thigh when it broke down by itself while streching after a work out, heard a velcro-type noise and thought I ripped something, but no pain and it actually felt better afterwards.

I'm still not sold on the armadillo blood/lighter fluid/bat wing/guava juice cures though :occasion1
    They killed JFK in '63, so what the **** you think they'll do to me?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast