Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 2:45am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in the bay area and have not heard crap about something like this. My family has taught and been administartors in Oakland public schools My cousins kids attend a Catholic high school in Oakland for about $12,500 a year ( when I went in 85 it was a grand a year) and there in class from 8 to 3 for academics. Top prep schools in the area can run about 26,000$.

Just to clarify my understanding is that you are in a "continuation" type school because of truants which probably meant you were behind in credits for almost a year?

I don't have the time, resources or no how but there needs to be an investigation into this seriously because you are being robbed of a good Martial and Academic education.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 5:21am

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Student, don't trip. You're young, I know alot of East Bay cats who started at West Wind who now do Muay Thai, teach Escrima, MMA, many other arts. I spent my teenage years getting in all kinds of bullshit trouble, while you spent yours getting warmed up doing basic kicks and punches. Man, you have a good head start, you'll be all right if you keep your head up. You live in a martial arts Mecca. You have everything in front of you, don't trip off the past.

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 10:56am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade
    Student, don't trip. You're young, I know alot of East Bay cats who started at West Wind who now do Muay Thai, teach Escrima, MMA, many other arts. I spent my teenage years getting in all kinds of bullshit trouble, while you spent yours getting warmed up doing basic kicks and punches. Man, you have a good head start, you'll be all right if you keep your head up. You live in a martial arts Mecca. You have everything in front of you, don't trip off the past.
    switchblade could you enlighten the rest of us about this "school" since you know about it. If there is in fact a school that uses martial arts as a primary vehicle for growth, and it has good academics as well, that would be a wonderful thing. I am skeptical though. And at least one other East Bay resident is also skeptical. As a former high school teacher I really think I would have heard about this academy, especially coinsidering I had a ma program in the high school wheere I taught and some of my own truant students came from Oakland.

Forgive me fopr my skeptiscism, its just that if a place like this existed... well frankly it would be like a job being a tester for lap dancing strippers, they all get to sit on your lap.....Or like being a taster for the Maine Lobster company if yu get my drift.... haha.

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    West Wind was already the focus of a major Bullshido thread and investigation.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12882

And Bunyip, the investigator, then got on TV as one of the geeks on Beauty And The Geek! A much better career choice than Professional Ninja For Imperialism.

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dsimon, what little I know about West Wind is from folks that went there in the 80s. It did not cost anywhere near $1000 a month, or was an academic school. My point was, StudentSoldier should move on, and appreciate what he may have learned from there.

Funny thing though, when my son lived with his mom in the East Bay, I actually looked into enrolling my son there. After talking to the head instructor, I sincerely wanted to punch the guy in the face.

Edit: I just remembered, I actually took a free intro class there in 82, but didnt continue because it cost like $60 a month.
    Last edited by Frank White; 12/21/2007 1:20pm at .

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by switchblade
    Dsimon, what little I know about West Wind is from folks that went there in the 80s. It did not cost anywhere near $1000 a month, or was an academic school. My point was, StudentSoldier should move on, and appreciate what he may have learned from there.

Funny thing though, when my son lived with his mom in the East Bay, I actually looked into enrolling my son there. After talking to the head instructor, I sincerely wanted to punch the guy in the face.

Lol. I have felt that way a few times when looking into schools for my two boys.

I think your right . Once this kid gets his GED and turns 18 he is an adult.

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats what I want to know, does he get a GED, or an actual high school diploma?

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He says it's an actual diploma. But I don't know how that could be...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 1:48pm

Style: Chinese Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W.
    He says it's an actual diploma. But I don't know how that could be...
    Berkeley School District has an Independent Study Program. It is possible that WW has been able to work it's way into it. The description somewhat fits the situation SS is in.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone have a link to the website for this place?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast