supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.karateforchrist.net/

Read this and try not to laugh:
    "Head Instructor of Longwood College branch Dong's Studio TKD"
    (from his credientials page)

& this guy seems to be in Juko Kai too ;)

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 1:05pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alright, enough of the Christianity and martial arts thread already....

someone find some "We train you in Martial arts with PCP" sites

--
    Hard Work, Patience, Dedication

Fighting Multiples - http://bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=162
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 1:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at the site - as long as he practices what he is preaching -I see nothing wrong with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 1:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at the site - as long as he practices what he is preaching -I see nothing wrong with it.
    Agreed. The only thing that's troubling is that they seem to advance ranks awfully quick. One of the senior instructor's "was promoted to First Degree Black Belt in September 2000 and currently holds a Third Degree Black Belt awarded in May 2003." I guess they pick up another degree every year - year and a half?

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Pizdoff is right, how many topics have we on this?

Though, I did find this funny from the Tai Chi page "We use quiet praise and worship music instead of the traditional flute and sitar music. Students learn the traditional art divested of its historically pagan underpinnings." So you strip of it's history and culture and it's still considered traditional?

The site says the head instructor has a black blet in several systems...haha, I always get a kick out of those guys.

Kungfoolss, Joke of the theory-based stylists, Most laughed at man at Bullshido.com, creator of the Kungfoolss Darwinian Awards that nobody cares for, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena in his own head.
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

X

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally don't like the preaching aspect, but you are naturally entitled to your opinions, I just post sites I find interesting in one way or another. Christian Tai Chi sounds quite stupid IMHO...

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 2:01pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i do agree with what is posted here

but i would steer far from this school

--
    Hard Work, Patience, Dedication

Fighting Multiples - http://bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=162

Edited by - pizdoff on August 19 2003 15:11:51
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally don't like the preaching aspect, but you are naturally entitled to your opinions, I just post sites I find interesting in one way or another. Christian Tai Chi sounds quite stupid IMHO...
    I wouldn't want to be preached to during a MA class either and would never take a classes at a place named anything like "Karate for Christ." The students know what they are getting into, though. (Their message and intentions are very overt. The website makes it clear that this is a non-profit Christian ministry. If you send your kid there for Karate lesson you know he is going to hear some preaching.) I think people who are training there are probably attending classes as much for the "Christian fellowship" and bible study as they are for the MA training and physical aspects. Seems like it's more of a Christian youth group than your typical Karate school.

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I guess the question is "If this was a normal martial arts school that was all keen on Jesus would it still be just as hoaky?"

One use to go to kung fu in this strip mall that also had 2 karate schools associated with 2 different churches on opposite ends of the strip mall, one was a Universal Kempo school and the other was an Escrima/Muay Thai school. The UK school actually started to make itself a different entity from the church before my school moved locations, and the Escrima/Muay Thai school didn't even look like a christian MA school, no crosses on the wall, no lame painting of Jesus, the only thing was their page that had the infamouse Philipians passage.

Kungfoolss, Joke of the theory-based stylists, Most laughed at man at Bullshido.com, creator of the Kungfoolss Darwinian Awards that nobody cares for, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena in his own head.
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 3:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still think the school is akin to Mcdojo because the instructors seem to be rocketing up the belt ranks (that in and of it self makes it a place I wouldn't attend) but I appreciate the fact that they are up front about their emphasis on religion and the school's teaching objectives. If they want to provide a training environment that has crosses all over the place, prayer before and at the end of class etc..that's fine because they'll only attract practicing Christians or parents who want their kids involved in a religious based group/activity.

My stance would change completely if they were less obvious about their "mission," representing themselves as a normal school and trying to convert people during classes.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast