Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:15am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drop the Standard Barbells/Dumbell weights and go for some kettlebells.
    Also keep up with the Pull Ups, Press ups etc..

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 9:03am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry-Monkey
    Haha, hey man. I had fun in that match, looking forward to fighting again. It was particularly humorous because I had just finished telling kieron about my anaconda defense that had been foolproof in training. Turns out it only works against the guys here at Mac that don't know how to finish the choke properly.

Are you going to be doing most of the tournaments this year?

Thanks for the tips, both of you. You would think that being a scientist I'd have done all my background reading before asking any questions but I'm still relatively clueless when it comes to training smart. A little at a time I guess.
    I don't know when I'm going to compete again . . . Probably not for a little while. As much fun as I had with you, I'm not that crazy about tournaments. I would certainly be up for meeting up to roll, though.

As far as being a scientist goes, I remember the first med student I ever trained. I kept prefacing explanations with, "You probably already learned this, but . . ." He finally turned to me and deadpanned, "We learn a lot of things."

Doctors tend not to know how to put the necessary information in context. The biologists I've met have had largely the same problem. Strength training is an entirely different form of nerdery.

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I certainly wouldn't recommend that a housewife or tubby average joe jump into WS4SB, but if he's in good enough shape to compete in grappling he should be able to handle it. It's what I used when I started actually. I don't see how conjugate periodization would apply only to advanced powerlifters, the idea of training several types of strength at the same time seems pretty applicable whether you're beginning or not. I think it comes down to being aware enough of your own body to know not to lift too much, and making sure your form is good along with getting enough rest.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 10:40am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear1980
    Drop the Standard Barbells/Dumbell weights and go for some kettlebells.
    Why? They're all big heavy things.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 10:46am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you.

The only caveat I'll add to Emevas' well worded counter-argument is that it's important to alternate between bilateral (two hands, one object, e.g. a barbell) and unilateral (one hand, one object, e.g. a dumbbell) to avoid developing or maintaining left/right strength imbalances. There's no magic shape other than the one you haven't been training with for a while.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 11:05am

Style: VT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Why? They're all big heavy things.
    True, no real reason just...Ive been training kettlebells for the last month now and its fucking great.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 11:19am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i currently do this
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark70.htm

And i got the book Starting Strength (recommended by just about everyone here). It really helps explain how to lift correctly.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to add that for anyone that's just starting lifting to give priority to leg work/posterior chain over anything else if you are short of time. That is, if you are pressed with time and you must choose a few exercises to do, choose compound leg exercises.

Of course, this is a simplification, but people tend to forget how important leg work is for developing strenght on the entire body.

For the OP, leg workout are the key to gain muscle (weight + size) and strenght. Squats and deadlifts (in particular deadlifts) and barbel lunges every now and then, that was the key for me to move from 145-150lbs to 165lbs (and climbing.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 12:41pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering your description of where you are at and your goals, I would get The New Rules of Lifting.

It is geared toward beginners - particularily the eternal beginner. I recently returned to lifting, and its been great. Unquestionably the best value I've ever found in fitness.

You can get a full workout program with periodization by one of the best strength coaches in the country, Alwyn Cosgrove. If you've read much Men's Health magazine or www.t-nation.com articles, you've read him at some point. He argubaly has as much real world, statiscally sound data on workout results as anyone outside of the former Eastern Block countries during the cold war - so its real world stuff like Emevas talked about.

The one thing I would recommend is do the Break-in component first, just to get in the rythm. Its based around 2x15 sets, with a recommendation to use very lightweight by the authors, with the intention of stressing the body with higher reps to get it used to working with weight. Since you've been 3x10-ing it for a while, I'd just do both the A and B workouts in the Break in Program once or twice, then jump into the component you want to focus the most on first (Hypertrophy, Fat Loss, or Strength). Shouldn't be a difficult leap.

The workouts in it match pretty much all the advice in this thread. Its just consolidated, and organized into a periodized, customizable program. They are built around the three big compound leg excercises - Lunge, Squats, Deadlifts (like Teh El Macho recommended). In addition, every workout also does as much upper body pulling as pushing, as well as twisting motions (except for the break-in, which does non-twisting abdominal work). This type of twisting, pulling strength development is critical for grappling strength.

Having just gotten Starting Strength, I would get it in addition to New Rules. I think the program in New Rules is exactly what you need, but Starting Strength has BAR NONE THE BEST EXPLANATIONS of proper form in Squats and Benches you can get in a written text, and better than 99% of the few good personal trainers out there. I assume that the other excercise explainations are good - but since I just started reading it last night before I went to bed, I've only gotten through those sections.

For $50.00 off Amazon (shipping included if you Super Saver it), you'll have everything you need to transition away from 3x10 if you get the two.

There is another recent thread that discusses reading material referenced by myself and others here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63845

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone, I'll put those two books on my list. Maybe I'll try and pick them up locally on boxing day, are they in wide circulation?

Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    I don't know when I'm going to compete again . . . Probably not for a little while. As much fun as I had with you, I'm not that crazy about tournaments. I would certainly be up for meeting up to roll, though.

As far as being a scientist goes, I remember the first med student I ever trained. I kept prefacing explanations with, "You probably already learned this, but . . ." He finally turned to me and deadpanned, "We learn a lot of things."

Doctors tend not to know how to put the necessary information in context. The biologists I've met have had largely the same problem. Strength training is an entirely different form of nerdery.
    Is there going to be a toronto get together anytime soon? Have you been attending those recently?

yeah I know what you mean. I spend all my time working on a molecular level, atomic interactions within proteins and structure/function relationships but somehow when I think about physiology it all goes out the window. In my mind the complexity at the molecular level disappears when you get to macro-scale and I have the mentality that if I lift I will get stronger (no matter what kind of schedule/program I use) and that if I'm not sore the next day then nothing is happening.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast