Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 11:15am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Osteopathy vs Physiotherapy, mutually exclusive?

So I dislocated my shoulder, and have been babying it for the last three weeks. Saw a doctor, he recommended I go to physio.

Now at my BJJ gym, we just hired a physical therapist, and he was charging a significantly lower price ($40 instead of $100 an hour) than a normal physiotherapist so I thought I'd go see him, but he took a while to set up an appointment, and by the time I got one I had already booked an appointment with a regular physiotherapist.

I went to both, and it seemed to me, that though both were "physical therapists" their approaches seemed completely opposite. The physiotherapist said she wanted to see my shoulder area tighten up and prescribed exercises to strengthen that area. She said once the shoulder area was stiff and stabilized, then they'd work on bringing back flexibility.

Now when I want to the osteopathist he said he wanted to immediately bring back some flexibility and did these weird arm exercises where he'd brace my arm and shoulder and i'd press down on it. However, at the end, he did recommend some rotator cuff exercises that seemed very similar to what the physiotherapist suggested.

With that said, I was wondering if anyone had experience with either osteopaths or physical therapists, was wondering if I should go to both or just stick to one? Like i said, the exercises they asked me to do are very similar, but their philosophy seems to be different.

Are they mutually exclusive therapies, or can they be done together?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 11:20am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I popped my shoulder, the primary focus post surgery was to build up the area first and then work on flexibility. I feel like that's always going to be the better choice, regardless of injury. When my wife herniated a disk, it was the same method. Strengthening the area up is going to provide you some safety and stability, along with a foundation to build your flexibility upon.

Just my two cents though.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    12/17/2007 2:51pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Physical therapists will actually sometimes not treat you if you openly insist on doing another rehab school's routine at the same time ie chiropractor. It's not an issue of exclusivity but the fact that the approaches can contradict each other.

The PT wants your shoulder strengthened and stabilized so you don't make it worse before it gets better. She doesn't want it "stiff", but she wants to make 100% sure you won't dislocate again anytime soon, especially if you want to get back into training. Each time you dislocate it becomes easier to do and potentially takes longer to recover (also depends if its a true dislocation ie all the way out or a subluxation, most people often confuse the two).

I would stick with her for now since it's easier to get regular appointments with her, and you want to make damn sure it doesn't happen again.
    They killed JFK in '63, so what the **** you think they'll do to me?

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 1:42am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I generally don't trust the physiotherapists in my area as much as I do my chiropractor, even in matters of soft tissue. Most of them have ended up being fairly incompotent, in that their cures usually involve some form of medium massage and running an electric current through me. At least, that was my experience when my leg was injured and I was limping for about a month.